Do I need a new axle? HELP

303Skier

Hey Ballers!

So weather here in CO is gonna get bad this weekend so I decided to go get my boat and take it home to be in my garage. Well on my way home with 3 month old little boy my hub went out! I felt a strange shutter and grind when I came to a stoplight. Went about another mile with hazards on and pulled into gas station to inspect. First thing I notices was the right side hub cover was missing and a huge black mass of grease was hanging out. Looked okay other than that. Pulled forward and heard loud grind and vibration again. Looked on inside and there was also grease on the inside and looked like hub was sitting at a slant with spindle. I inspected some more and noticed the carter pin and axle nut were still on so I decided to drive another 5-7 miles home around 25 MPH. The hub was making a god awful sound and squeal all the way home. We made it back to the house safe and then inspected again. I could tell it was pretty hot and looked bad.

Do you think I ruined the spindle? I know the hub bearings and races are trashed but was curious if you guys think I'll be replacing my entire axle too? I can get more pictures tonight. I'm also planning to take everything apart this weekend and inspect the damage :(

This is a 2007 Ramlin single axle trailer, sucks the hub went out that fast. Or maybe that is normal life of a hub?

• Baller

I would be more worried that you froze the bearings to the spindle with all the heat that built up. I don't think you have to replace the entire axle but I would be surprised it a new spindle, hub and bearings are needed. But you wont really know until everything is apart.

My guess is you probably blew out the inner seal that holds the grease causing them to burn up. I would replace your other side seal and maybe do the bearings on that one as well. Pretty cheap insurance since its like a $5 part.

• Baller

With the hub sitting at an angle I'd expect that there are a lot of bearing parts sitting around in there and that the bearing has spun on the spindle.

Torsion axle or leaf springs? If it is a torsion then it is pretty easy to just replace the arm/spindle assembly. Most if not all leaf spring axles are going to require that the old spindle be cut off and a new one welded on - not a big deal if you can weld but expensive if you are having the work done. In that case typically cheaper to just replace a relatively inexpensive axle.

@oldjeep The trailer has a single torsion axle. I don't think the spindle comes off. Ramlin said it's something they just started doing. I'm really hoping the spindle is okay and can just replace the Hub. I will post pics of the carnage as soon as I get everything apart.

@keithh2oskier if the bearing froze to the spindle, maybe cut it off? I'm thinking since a hub is only $40-$50 just get new units? Can I get bearings and parts at a regular auto parts shop or do I need to go through Nautique?

• Baller

No need to go to Nautique. You can check online and see if you can order them from a trailer supply shop or maybe call Ramlin directly. I would be hesitant to go to the local Autozone because they wont know what to do when you tell them you have a boat trailer.

Not sure if you can cut the bearing off the spindle without damaging it. I think I tried that when I ruined the spindle on my old truck by over torquing the bearings. Spindles are pretty cheap I think. You may want to call California Trailer Works - (916) 381-7619 after you get everything torn apart and survey the damage. They are a local (to me) and have good reviews. I have never used them personally but they can probably help you out.

• Baller

You're going to want to find out from Ramlin who made the axle, that'll be the easiest way to get parts. Most of the common trailers now use UFP axles, but if it has a non removable arm then I'm not sure what that would be (even more curious to know how you manufacture a torsion axle with a non removable arm)

The way you cut a bearing off a spindle is to use a dremel to cut most of the way through the inner race and then smack into the cut with a cold chisel, it'll snap right in half. If you have a mig welder it is even easier, you just weld a hot bead all the way around the race and when it cools it'll actually stretch the race.

This is all assuming that you can't just pull it off using a bearing splitter.

http://intechbearing.com/products/1122-otc-bearing-splitter?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1096232457&gclid=Cj0KEQjwosK4BRCYhsngx4_SybcBEiQAowaCJQeeY7g_V_fJIWXzqcacIqnVc91PVtYUR2j8rALFFc0aAkGj8P8HAQ

• Baller
FWIW - I did find a picture online of the axle Ramlin was using and sure enough they use a welded on torsion arm rather than what I would consider the more normal removable/adjustable splined arm. Not sure if Ramlin does this, but my Boatmate trailer came with the manuals for every purchased part on it (axles, landing leg, winch, brake actuator) . Might be worth looking at your documentation pile to see if you already have axle/bearing/brake part numbers.

@Drago @keithh2oskier @oldjeep @Chef23 @gregy

What do you guys think?

I took everything apart at lunch and the back bearing went ballistic! The front bearing was still intact. The race for the back bearing stayed on, luckily. Here are pictures of the spindle top bottom and sides. Let me know what y'all think.2bm5e4jopis3.jpeg

http://cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf

d7a5ajzgez6r.jpeg

v1cbawa8x7wo.jpeg

zvfwt79zd4eg.jpeg

1.rackcdn.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/editor/95/dpfpfx8p24zg.jpeg" alt="" />

• Baller
You might be ok. The surfaces that the bearings contact do not appear to be ridged, my guess is the bearings didn't spin on the spindle surfaces. If you get new bearings and they seem to fit properly that part may be ok. How does the surface that the grease seal rides on feel. If it is too rough it will eat up new grease seals. If it is a little rough but not diminished in diameter you may be able to polish up with some emery cloth.

• Baller

Seal surface looks fairly pitted but might be OK. As long as the bearings don't spin on the spindle then the bearing race surfaces look fine.

I don't think that is a bolt on spindle, just looks like bolts for the brake backing plate.

• Baller

If it where me I'd try putting new bearings and seals. Like Skiinxs says you might have to cleanup the inner seal sealing surface, emery cloth or some medium to fine sand paper will work. Make sure the inner race of the bearing sets square and flush against the flange on the spindle. If there are any burrs they can be filed off. Test fit both inner and outer bearing on the spindle to make sure they are a slip fit, if not sand or file high spots.

My manual says to add grease after every use. That's hard to do but I try at least to put a few pumps in every month. That will force any water out.

The bearing race on the inside bearing came off the spindle rather easy with a very light tap of the hammer. The axle and spindles are one bolt on unit, cross member and torsion spindles are all one unit. My guy at Nautique said the entire axle would be about $200. So I think I will have a shop look at the hub, give me new races/bearings/seals clean up spindle like @skiinxs said and see what happens. If it goes out again, I will invest in new axle and hubs :) Thanks for all the help with this guys!

I didn't think a hub on a immaculate 2007 trailer would go out like this!? I have a 1994 MC190 with original trailer that has been trough hell and back and never had one issue with it!

• Baller

I've fixed totally spun bearings with a beer can shim. Got lots of miles out of that fix (I think one is still in service as a road grader and the backhoe died from other causes. Note, I welded the nut that holds the bearings in as it was stripped). They looked way worse than those pictures.

Bearings aren't magical items. Inspect and replace on regular intervals. Use as needed and carry a spare bearing set.

Eric

Go to northern tool or what ever u have .trailers have common bearings you can get them cheap they even have a hub and bearing kit that if you tow a lot and have a problem u can change it on the side of the road I kept 1 in my truck just in case but I do tow a lot

I got over to Jim's Trailer Repair here in Denver, CO Yesterday and brought all of my broken parts. Guys took a look and got me everything I needed (hub, inner bearing, outer bearing, cap and seal). Since my old hub had some scarring on the inside lip where the seal goes, they recommended I get a new hub. They were great to work with a very knowledgeable.

On my way home I stopped at Harbor Freight and got a bearing grease packer. Handy little tool to have and saved a lot of time. http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-grease-packer-69027.html

Here are a few pictures and the hub all back together!

mdfg5ettefxh.jpg

2ow8htotmt3n.jpg

320b52pdmycx.jpg