Help me set up my PerfectPass so the speedometer is right (Digital Pro 6.5NG w/paddlewheel)

Fast351

• Baller

So my new to me year 2001 Ski Nautique was mostly used for trick skiing so the Perfect Pass wasn't set up very well. I took the opportunity today to get the slalom speeds calibrated. I don't have a course, so I used a GPS unit to calibrate it.

First I set the paddle wheel factor. This is set in wakeboard mode, at 20 MPH. The paddle wheel factor wants to be right around 1460. I also have a Faria replacement speedo which is also picking up the signal from the same paddle wheel. It was also calibrated to the GPS.

Next I set my baselines at all slalom speeds (although for simplicities sake lets just stick with 34.2). At 34.2, the baseline RPM was set to 3660, which resulted in a beautiful 34.2 MPH lock.

The only problem, the PerfectPass speedometer reads about 33.1 MPH. The Faria speedo is right on, so I think the paddle wheel is OK. No matter what I do, that number seems to remain right about at 33.1. I have adjusted the paddle wheel factor, and it seems to have no effect over about 28 MPH.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? The Perfect Pass works fine as is, it's annoying having it read the wrong speed though.

The manual makes reference to adjusting the speedo in speedometer calibration, (which I think is in wakeboard mode, again this seems to have no effect) or pressing up with quick calibrate highlit in the slalom baseline screen, which screws up my baseline RPM.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Baller
I had almost the same situation with a 2003 Malibu Response (paddle wheel set up for trick) that just we purchased for our FL house. After sking and driving it a few times I couldn't keep it consistent I decided to upgrade to Stargazer Wake edition. I have it on my MN boat and IMO its much more user friendly and more consistent. PP Tech Mark said its plug play pretty much for install. Its about $750 with the new display.

• Baller
@Fast351 the speed indication on my Lx was way off. Mark at PP email me a speedo cal procedure. I'm pretty sure I still have it. PM me your email. To adjust it you don't have to be in wakeboard mode and the setting doesn't effect baseline RPM. I think there is a speedo setting for each slalom speed. Mark said that you may not be able too get every speed to read just right because the paddle wheel is not accurate above 23mph. I played with it one time and the speed indication when the wrong way after the first adjustment. It is kind of engineered backwards of how most people would think (smaller K factor displays higher speed).

• Baller

I did find this in the USA waterski setup doc for the 6.5NG:

"QUICK CALIBRATE - Highlight Menu Arrow and press Down Key, after a timing pass, skier weight at 0. Press

Up Key to perform Quick Calibration, system will confirm “pass” or “fail” If he skier weight is greater than 0 it will

calibrate the speedo only."

So maybe the secret sauce is to set skier weight to 5# and try the up arrow on the quick cal screen.

• Baller

@Fast351 as stated above to do the quick cal you need a course. If you have a course you have two options 1) use magnets and smart timers 2) get a hand timer for $40. You press the button when the skier goes through the gates, at 3 ball and at the exit gates.

Many boats are still running classic PP and working just fine. Not everyone needs GPS.

• Baller

BAM! Perfect Pass comes through:

Hi,

When you are in the baseline calibration screen you go back up to the

arrow in the upper right then press the DOWN key instead of the UP key.

That will bring you into the paddlewheel calibration for that particular

slalom speed. Every individual slalom speed has it's own paddlewheel

calibration. If you know the number is 1460 you can just go ahead and

enter that number or as close as you can get to it.

Aaron

PerfectPass Control Systems Inc.

902-468-2150

• Baller_
@Fast351: there are also several manuals on the PP website that have instructions on how to calibrate the PP speedo both with and w/o a course. Check all the manuals, some are better than others for calibration instructions. It can be kind of tricky, there is also a way to apply an offset to the existing cal, also described in one of the manuals on the site. Good luck and add a little patience to dial it in, once complete you will like it.