Long Links - I am done asking

Horton

• Administrators

If you have been around here very long you know that I can not allow long links in posts. If you are new around here or only do it once because you forgot I understand. Going forward I am going to be less nice about it. If you keep doing it and the post is not all that great to begin with I might just delete it or change the link but to some random address or maybe issue a few day ban from the site.

d67qz51q7xuj.gif

• Baller_
There isn't any scripting that can be created to automatically change those to a standard link format with a generic name like "Long Link"? I'm not knowledgeable about the programming facilities allowed by the hosting provider or the forum software, but it seems like something that could be embedded in the "Post Comment", etc. actions to interrogate the post, intercept the long link, and convert it.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@Horton I've been looking but have only seen one link shorten reference on links using iPhone (for those of us better than you) or anything else that doesn't give the link option. I still have been posting from other devices, if wanting to post a link. I think the link shortener info needs to be on all threads about long links. I'd do it right now, but my phone is supposed to be in airplane mode.

• Administrators

Now also at the bottom of each desktop page is a link to how to do it automatically. See bottom of this and every page.

That link takes you to the below instructions.

Since the last website upgrade, folks who view the website with iPhones have an issue with any thread that contains a long link. Since iPhone people are superior to the rest of us we have to help them ; )

If you are going to post links please use the CREATE LINK BUTTON.

First select the text you want the you want to add the link to. In the example below the text is “This is my link text”. Then click the link button (blue arrow below) and then paste he actual web link in the link window (red arrow below)

i3bfwuu6b6uy.gif

igipjt6s7ngw.png

UPDATE

Some of you guys really try to comply but perhaps my instructions are not as clear as they could be. In the body of your post there needs to be some text that will appear in place of your link. You will highlight that text and then click the link button to add the link to your text.

qddbalrontpy.jpg

DO NOT try to create a link without first typing some text that your link will be attached to.

1. type some words that describe your link

2. highlight those words

3. click the link button

4. paste your link in the link box

5. click Ok

6. Go have a beer to celebrate the creation of a short link.

• Baller

So is it an issue with the length of the link or the length of the text that appears in the post? In other words, can you post a longer link with shorter link text, or is it the link itself that has to be shortened (IE use a link shortener)?

Out of curiousity, what is the reason? Mobile display?

• Administrators

@Fast351 the issue is the displayed length. As long as you embed the link in text or use a link shortener it is all good.

Why? Long links make the forum look TERRIBLE on iPhones. I don't really like iPhones but a lot of you paid a lot of money for them so.... whatever

• Administrators

If anyone thinks their post is missing or changed today... This may be why. I went on a bit of a rampage. Sorry to be an A-Hole about it but I have warned you guys over and over about this.

If you do not know what this is all about read this

Of you always post from mobile there is a link to a shorten-er at the bottom of every page.

• Baller
Not to be a pia or to pile on, but on iPad I've noticed there is no button to start a thread anywhere, and the link shortener seems to come and go? It's here in this thread right now, but it was missing from the page for a post I was trying to put up the other day. Not sure this is completely about people not trying, although I'm sure that accounts for a good bit of it

• Baller

@Horton, there is no way to start a new discussion, so I'm afraid I have to post it here. By the way, I see the same issue with Chrome as I do with Safari on iPad. This screenshot is taken and posted from my iPad. That is the entire screen, none of the usual "start discussion, who's online, etc" stuff even shows up

5t3d0393hbfd.png

• Baller

@Horton, there is no way to start a new discussion, so I'm afraid I have to post it here. By the way, I see the same issue with Chrome as I do with Safari on iPad. This screenshot is taken and posted from my iPad. That is the entire screen, none of the usual "start discussion, who's online, etc" stuff even shows up

5t3d0393hbfd.png

• Administrators

@Texas6 i am 99% sure the issue is your screen resolution. You have zoomed in (low res) so far that the new discussion button had been squeezed off the page.

You can change your screen res or i can help you get your iPad into mobile mode.

@MR.D same?

• Administrators

@Texas6 i am 99% sure the issue is your screen resolution. You have zoomed in (low res) so far that the new discussion button had been squeezed off the page.

You can change your screen res or i can help you get your iPad into mobile mode.

@MR.D same?

• Baller
I got a panda a while back for posting a link thought was cool. I am a computer idiot and was kind of pleased that I was even able to post the link. I didn't know it was an issue at the time and am glad to understand why. I wouldn't know a short link from a long link from a sausage link so I'll just keep the really cool stuff I find to myself from now on.. :)

• Baller
I got a panda a while back for posting a link thought was cool. I am a computer idiot and was kind of pleased that I was even able to post the link. I didn't know it was an issue at the time and am glad to understand why. I wouldn't know a short link from a long link from a sausage link so I'll just keep the really cool stuff I find to myself from now on.. :)

• Baller

@Horton - "Since iPhone people are superior to the rest of us we have to help them ; ) "

I wonder why it's always the "Easy to use Apple" products that have the issues on forums? Whenever someone can't link their computer to their camera on the photography forums I visit, it's an Apple product. Same for Home Theater forums I visit, always Apple products. And when they do get the solution, it's usually to buy another Apple product to make the connection. Easy to use (if you have money)...

• Baller

@Horton - "Since iPhone people are superior to the rest of us we have to help them ; ) "

I wonder why it's always the "Easy to use Apple" products that have the issues on forums? Whenever someone can't link their computer to their camera on the photography forums I visit, it's an Apple product. Same for Home Theater forums I visit, always Apple products. And when they do get the solution, it's usually to buy another Apple product to make the connection. Easy to use (if you have money)...

• Baller

I have it figured out on my laptop finally, after earning one panda. Testing it now on my iPhone.

http://goo.gl/JvXTln

@Horton Ok. Is this supposed to be how it works from mobile devices via the Google shortener? I did not see an option to input your own short text anywhere. Not that I will likely be compelled to post many links from my phone. But may as well learn how to do it.

• Administrators

@sunvalleylaw the website will let you embed text from any desktop device and that's super easy. The part that takes a little bit more patience is creating a short link if you are on a mobile device.

Again the bottom line is all the people that read this site from iPhones have a terrible experience if I allow long links.

• Baller

@Horton,

Could you write a script to parse each post upon submission to find long links? The script could then automatically fix the links if necessary before the post went live. Finally, it could automatically email/message the offender with a panda or something.

Is that possible within the existing framework? Seems relatively straightforward but I don't know anything about the BoS back end.

If possible I could potentially write the parser and script if you'd like.