Shore commander motor info

• Baller

Is anyone using an older shore commander lift motor with the touch pad? I picked one up dirt cheap. According to company selling them now. Original company went out of business due to bad boards in touch pads. Website states they had a bad run of boards in 2005 Blackbox models. The one I have is from 2008. Guy couldn't tell me if they rectified problem by then. Also when I run the motor in up position every time consistently (not installed yet) it does 3 quick hesitations then runs smooth. Doesn't hesitate when going down. Is this a safety feature? I found this on the website.

( The revolutionary variable frequency drive (smart controls) optimizes electrical

efficiency, draws minimum amperage and gives the 3 phase motor more startup

torque than a single phase motor.

- Commander’s “smart” controls reduce the possibility of damage to the motor

due to situations such as seriously overloaded boat lifts and poor power

situations by simply shutting down the motor before it is burned out.) Thanks

• Baller

I have had one 10 plus years no issues. On up it bumps the rpm up 3 times in about one second to the top raising rpm. If I remember the top speed with which it goes up is adjustable so if heavier boat you can take it down a gear, so to speak, and go slower but not tax the motor as much.

Going down there is only one speed.

I have two remotes, been plenty happy with the quiet operation and it has been trouble free. If it fails it's easily removed or can be run with a drill.

• Baller
@6balls Thanks for the info. I also have the 2 key fobs. I talked to a guy from the new shore commander about installation kit for my shorestation. Right away he asked if it was touch pad. Then he proceeded to say. I wouldn't have bought it. Was wondering if I should resell it before I put out $110 for the mounting kit if it's going to go out on me.

• Baller

I was told they went bad with frequency as well after I bought mine by a guy who came and replaced my lift cable. He couldn't believe at that time I had 5 years out of it.

I do take it off winters and keep it in the heated garage since it's a two-bolt install for me. Takes 5 minutes to install or take it off. It's stretching my memory but I think the issue was they didn't seal well so water got inside. Crossing my fingers but no problems to this point.

Seems to me if you bought used dirt-cheap and it still works, maybe you got a good one.

• Baller
Big thumbs up to the guys at lift tech marine. I found out they service shore commanders. The guy was great. Said my motor was a good one. Told him what kind of lift I had. Sold me complete mounting kit for $50. Had me plug the motor in and walked me through changing the gearing for my lift without even asking. Great customer service. My shoulders feel better already.

• Baller
glad to hear it. I also have one for 7+ years and I'll chime in that in the manual you can adjust the motor frequency for lifting vs lowering (lower Hz = more torque). Might play with those settings to address the 3 hesitations.

• Baller

If your control ever go bad,just replace it with a regular small VFD.

You'll lose the remote fonction but still cheaper then buying a new unit...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I have had a lift with a Shore Commander control unit for 8 years. The controller and touch pad went out last fall. I sent it back to lift tech marine and they replaced the controller, gave me 2 brand new remotes and serviced the motor all for $250. Works great again.