Course install... calling @OB1and @Edbrazil!!

jdk99

• Baller

Last August @OB1 and @Edbrazil provided some great input on permanent course installation here:

So we have begun the process but I had a few quick questions for you experts on the cross course setup specifically in reference to the image below:

How far from the 'shore pin' should the 'downpull weight' be located? (need for hypotenuse calculation)

How deep should the lowest portion of the crossline be at high water given a 2-3 foot water level fluctuation? (hypotenuse calculation again)

How many pounds for the 'downpull weight'?

Is the "compensator float" necessary?

Any reason 1/2" hollow nylon twine couldnt be used instead of cable (much cheaper)?

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

1kdmrdb3or6o.jpg

• Baller

This system was developed for the Miami courses, all 5 of them. Where it is deep-deep

and uneven on the bottom. At one time, I did a SCUBA trip to the bottom there, and it

was a good bit scary. If other variations work for you, fine.

No reason to use crossline cable unless you are planning for a 'record' course. Just

need to make sure that nothing is 'grounding out' on you. Crossline courses are a good

solution for a lot of places. Andy's tie of Jeff Rodgers' record happened in the main

Miami canal in 1998, and it was all done in a very Kosher manner. And certified in a

short time.

I created a survey spreadsheet for that situation, along with the math that describes

the method. Nice way, as once the shore pins are 'shot', only angles are needed.