another otf

prk

ski last Saturday for the first time this year went to hard and ended up stuffing the tip off the second wake now I'm dealing with whiplash type symptoms in my neck and possible pinched nerve (loss of strength in right arm) think its time for safer bindings anyone have thoughts on the OB4 systems my current boots are non releasable and I never come out of them no matter how loose I tie them

• Baller
Never tried ob4, but as a hard shell user for 12 years, the reflex front and r style rear is the safest system I've had to date. Been on them for 5 years. Very minor maintenance required. Oh, no reason to stuff the tip! ;-)

our group and the pro we ski with (and @Horton ) all recommend the same thing, Radar Vapor bindings. If you have to ask what to use that is the answer for you.

A few of us tried OB4 and went back to what we were using.

I use OB4 - more for protecting my foot from injury than a sore neck - releasing in an awkward way still results in sore necks from time to time. OB4 like anything mechanical requires regular basic maintenance and double checking release settings...

• Supporting Member

If you are stuffing tips, there are likely fundamental issues to address.

That said, in principle a binding that can release from the toe could help a tiny bit to reduce the damage. Examples include OB4, MOB (next gen of OB4 design), Fogman, and Dual-Lock plate.

But each of those has its own issues. It's all about tradeoffs.

I'm not saying my bindings caused the OTF I know it's my crappie technique just was thinking releasable could make these hits a little softer for those wondering I ride a 67" carbon V with double talons can scrape through at 15off but mostly free ski at 28-32off wakes nicer there anyway these releasable bindings aren't cheap especially for us north of the border so I was just looking for some honest feedback before I sell my kids to buy these things

Used radar strada boots. If you are concerned about $. The new version of those-the vapor are great also from what I hear. I went from stradas to reflex supershell and R-style. There was a bit of a transition at first, but I feel as comfortable in the new setup as I did in the stradas after 4-5 sets. I still go OTF some, but I let go more often than not if I feel one coming. Just let go... Not worth it at all.

• Baller

@kfennell Talk to me about Vapor vs. Strada. I tried the Strada but felt like if I laced it tight enough for my liking there was no way I'm coming out of there as a guy who uses full binding front and rear toe plate. Laced looser not enough control. So I still have rubber which I really do like cuz it's tight yet I come out. I don't like carrying soap, though, and after a number of passes my foot goes numb and I have to stop.

@6balls the vapor give a ton of support while releasing with the newest version. Some people even feel too much. The bottom has the BOA tightening system which you can get painfully tight and the top has the side stiffening inserts which give a lot of lateral support. I came off FM and had only a few sets changing.

My ski group and pro coach all run these and we ski into 35 and 38@36 and 38@34. If you tried on the older ones especially if they were worn in more then a year there will be a big difference in support.

• Baller
IMO using boots with bungie release work great, but need to be sized very well. Get a size where your toes and ball of foot are tight in the boot, and heel locks down solid when standing. So essentially your foot goes absolutely NOWHERE when standing and loading the ski. Then just make sure your bungies are set so the heel can lift. Test it by lifting the heel several times when putting boot on and setting bungie. If you can't get the heel past the point where the foot pivots out without hurting, it's too tight. But again you need the foot really tight when down and standing on the ski. That's the truck, finding the right size to hold position laterally.

• Baller

"Trick" was a correction to previous post.

It is a trick to find the right size though. Essentially you should not be able to move your foot in any lateral direction when standing and loading the ski. Try out different sizes before ever tightening the bungies.

• Baller
I also use double Talons, which came with two sets of laces for the cuff part. One set of laces is non-stretch while the other is a bungee-type lace. I use the bungee laces on the cuff and don't tighten them very much, but snug up the non-stretchy laces over the foot pretty good. I also don't use the top set of holes for the bottom lace. Seemed like no matter how loose I left the bottom laces my foot would not come out easily. Not using the top holes with the over-the-foot laces was the trick.

• Baller
@6balls I am the one running the Strada that @rayn referred to and I am in a small boot which I think helps the fit. I am a 10.5 or 11 shoe and am in a size 10 boot. I think that helps get a more consistent fit. If I was in an 11 boot I think it would run loose.