Binding help

jc2016

Hi all.

The last few summers my skiing has ended earlier due to ankle sprains from falling and not releasing from my boots. (Radar Vectors). I am a hockey player and was almost not healed for August preseason workouts. This summer I want to continue running the course and improve but can not risk jeopardizing my hockey season. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what boot setup might lower the risk of injury. I am not an elite slalomer, PB is 2 balls, 15 off at 34 mph. However, I am willing to spend a little outside my performance price range to get more time on the water instead of on crutches.

Thanks

• Baller
My first comment is that you should release from Vectors, you must be doing them up way too tight. Run the top laces just snug and consider a switch to the Vapor boot for the performance advantage it will give you.

• Baller

What kind of fall was it? If is a crushing type fall often you will not realease. This usually happens in a turn where the ski comes out of the water then when it hits water all the force crushes the person down on to the ski.

Reflex and OB4 are the safest systems that are available out on the market. Also Fluid Motion that is similar to reflex and a possible offshoot of OB4 soon. A lot people like the vapor boots which if laced loosely can be fairly safe. I've been on reflex and the rear r-style since last fall and have been very happy. With rubber bindings my ankles were usually sore all summer.

• Baller
No binding system is completely safe and I broke an ankle a few years ago on Animals in a fall exactly as @gregy describes above. I recently switched to Vapor boots and I feel that they are safer as I am able to crank down the lower boa system but leave the upper laces fairly loose. I haven't taken a hard fall on these boots yet but I can release fairly easily on the swim platform. Also, much more comfortable than rubber.

• Baller
From my perspective the safest boot is likely the OB4 although I have not skied on one. I ski on Vapors (actually an older Strada) and find if set up properly is very safe. The only issue is not setting the top lace too tight.

@gregy rounding the second ball I completely ate it similar to how you described. I'm on a 67' vapor. What're the main differences between the reflex and ob4. If I were to go reflex I think I would do front binding with the r style rear.

• Baller
I'm using O'Brien sector bindings. Basically the same design as the vectors. I snug the lower laces, tight but not superman tight. The upper laces are snug but pretty loose still. Release every time with no issue. It's the upper laces that prevent the release if too tight, and they really do not have to be tight as the lateral support of the boot itself is sufficient. Just snug the upper laces enough to pull the upper cuff to form around the ankle, but not clamping the ankle in place.

• Baller
The ob4 release from the toe and heel. Theoretically the are very safe. I tried them and could get used to them. Ob4 has recently done some redesign to lighten them up. I went to Reflex supershell. They only release from the heel but myself and my ski partner are them too. I'm using the R-STYLE and he using a RTP. He had two severe ankle injuries one required surgery both on HO Animals. @parkerc2112 test the reflex release regularly.

• Baller
@jc2016 They don't sell them by shoe size because they are open toe and designed to accomodate several foot sizes. I am a size 10 shoe and my bindings are marked Large. I think they are suppose to fit 9-11 or 10-12 can't remember. In either case I would buy bigger than smaller for your foot. Make sure you try them on when they are wet. Mine fit quite loosely once my foot is in but once the lower lace is tightened my foot does not move in them. I think the release is aided by the fact that my foot is maybe on the small end of the boot size.

@Dano @gregy @Chef23 @ozski @ESPNSkier Thank you all for your responses and inputs. I think am going to go with the reflex bindings. However I have to deal with a new problem now before I can worry about purchasing bindings, went out for the first time the other day and kept falling on my offside. Noticed there was a crack in my vapor. Not quite sure how that happened.