This could be good for ski lake owners . . .

elr

• Baller
That really is damn amazing.....Slater will hit it out of the park on that idea....And there will be plenty of soul surfers who will despise him for it, while thousands upon thousands of new inland surfers move toward the sport...

• Baller
So the story of this is pretty interesting, I know a family that owns a private ski lake near by and told me some details. The lake that Kelly Slater used for the wave pool used to be Sunrise ski lake, it was a ski school. When the owners decided to sell, Kelly picked the lake up. The lake then was drained and the whole floor is covered in concrete. The power for the machine is borrowed from an air base miles away. There is a 10 foot wall around the whole property. the whole lake project was about $5,000,000 I heard, that doesn't count the research involved before hand.

• Baller
If what Colebrah says is true about the startup costs, it seems unlikely that such a project could ever be profitable on its own. Maybe if they can reproduce it in a densely populated area of the middle east? I would be interested in seeing the business plan and how they intended to make it profitable.

• Baller
@Colebrah, I was wondering how they would run a hydrofoil on a muddy sloped ski lake floor - that makes a lot of sense, as do the start up costs. Very cost prohibitive to support a business for the masses at that price, the goal long term has to be to bring that cost way down through design improvements

• Baller
Oh I do as well. But you can swim a heck of a lot people in a wave pool that you can surf on that wave....I agree, there is an absolute out of the park homerun in this deal somewhere, it will be interesting to see how that manifests itself.

• Baller
Hard to justify costs of a football stadium based on ticket prices alone but factor in tv, licensing, etc. and somehow it works. Similar here I would guess. Surfing has a ton of money and if you could expand the surfing lifestyle to Inland "surfers" it probably doesn't matter if an individual site can make money on use fees.

• Baller
Having worked in the surf industry for 20 years I can tell you that surfing does not have "a ton of money." I assume it creates more revenue than waterskiing does, but surfing has nowhere near the interest level (i.e. money) of the big sports. If $5m is the true development cost, it really seems odd that they would re-purpose a ski lake so far away from a dense population. It wouldn't have cost that much more to start from scratch and dig a new lake closer to a population that would generate higher revenue.

• Baller

Ha, I thought I'd read the whole article but it turns out I needed to keep scrolling down. Thanks for the tip!

Interestingly, the article says they bought the land in Lemoore because it was cheap and it would be cost prohibitive to buy a "plot of that size with a lake outside L.A." -- my point is they didn't need a pre-built lake. Appropriate land of the price mentioned in the article could easily be found closer to a large population. Digging the lake would be a relatively small part of the overall $5m cost.

Regardless, it will indeed be interesting to watch how this affects the sport of surfing. Some people have said on this forum that slalom skiing became unreachable for most people because you had to have access to a private ski pond to be able to compete effectively. Lots of differences with surfing, but it makes you wonder.