Dock (deck) coatings

bojans

• Baller
Our dock is ~ 8-10 years old, pressure treated 2x6 boards. We have never put any type of stain or coating on it and it is beginning to show. The boards are dry and in some areas beginning to cause some splinters, usually in the kids feet. What are you guys using a a coating (stain, sealant, etc) on the dock? I am looking for something that will hold up well to the high moisture environment and ideally wouldn't require a ton of sanding.

• Baller
I used "Restore" available from Home Depot. The deck boards were around 10 years old and had never been coated. There were many large and small splinters getting into kids feet. I think it worked great and looks good as well. It filled cracks and gaps and stuck down all of the splinters. (Very thick). It is applied by rolling on with a special textured roller. I have lots of photos of my dock area on my Instagram at #skiinxs

• Baller
Thanks @skiinxs. I just looked at your pictures, that looks good. I had thought about using this but was worried about the moisture from the lake making it peel. How long have you had it on your dock?

• Baller
If you're looking for a stain/protective coating what you want is Cabot brand. I've tried just about everything on the market, even using different products on the same dock. Cabot lasts best, hands down. But if you've got splinters, you may have waited too long for a stain. What you don't want is Thompson's. It's worthless.

• Baller

Can you flip em and get a smooth surface? Then you might consider a light colored stain.

And if you can't and replace why not just go with 1x decking? Rounded edges and so much lighter. Unless of course you get to keep that dock in, then who cares about weight.

• Baller

First time poster and have to offer my 2 cents here as it is my business with 19yrs of experience. Industry has changed a ton over that time. Horizontal deck/dock coatings can always pose a potential challenges as they are difficult surfaces. A coating can last 10-20 years+ on a vertical but if surface preparation, application,and some potential protective maintenance are not followed you can cause yourself some grief on horizontals. The new "resurfacing products" by various companies will do as they were intended, no question, you just have to be aware of the process and expectations.

Just as a bit of information, EVERY paint company has negative reviews of their products.

We make numerous #1 rated products that you'll find poor experiences on line. You just never hear about the real happy ones we talk to after the fact. When things go wrong for a customer after the physical investment of the work the internet in todays age is an ideal venting place. Unfortunately the positives don't get reported and never get spread socially like the bad ones. Companies make and sell these things by the 100,000's of gallons and if any major retailer keeps them on the shelf, it is a legitimate product. Hardware stores don't sell products if they are known to consistently fail. Attached are some pictures of a work friend who also happens to be on same lake as me. His dock takes the worst of Canadian winter and loads of heat in summer. Working on three winters of perfection now with a "Restoration" type product of ours. Another very close ski pal put it on his deck last winter and as you will see the grey is perfect under similar conditions and he has had 3 years on his deck in the city without issue.

They won't hold your deck up if falling down but will certainly offer protection for what they are intended to do.

Happy to provide any individual advice and recommendations on any coatings products if you'd like to reach out individually. Just don't feel comfortable offering product or company advice in a public setting.

3t0mufzu7ftl.jpg

pbxxmwi4qihz.jpg

71dafqa1eswv.jpg

• Baller
@bojans I coated it in 2012. The surface was really bad, actually to the point that I thought I was going to have to replace the decking. The large splinters were the worst part. I priced Trex and found it would have cost over $12,000 in decking alone, not counting all of the extra bracing that I would have to put in and labor. (I think you have to have at least twice as many supports for even the thick composite like Trex because it sags in between, the thinner stuff is much worse.) I ended up paying around $1,000 for the Restor (It took 12 of the 5 gallon cans, but each can only has 4 gallons in it). As was mentioned, preparation is key. I believe that it would still be in perfect condition if it hadn't been for a really bad hailstorm last year. The hail was almost as big as my fist and caused over $100,000 damage to the house, dock, and metal building. Actually took chips out of the bricks on the house, took divits out of my neighbors concrete dock panels. It did knock some pieces of my Restore off, but I am pretty sure that wouldn't have happened without the hail.

• Baller
@pkreusch I just looked up the class action suit, wasn't aware of it. I sure hope mine doesn't start peeling off because it would really be a tough job to try to remove it. I guess based on all of that I need to remove my recommendation.

• Baller
I'll give you a better idea. Put carpet on it. I went to carpet several years ago...love it! Will never go back. Doesn't get super hot, never a splinter, works great for dock starts on all sorts of stuff, comfortable to lay down and stretch, nothing dropped ever falls through the dock...looks great!

• Baller
We have one dock with carpet, due to drying out, weathering and splinters. It's good, however I do feel that it will result in shortened life for the wood because of moisture retention.

• Baller_
What if you put roll tyvek paper underneath carpet. Cheap, water tight. Tair and rip resistant. Water could puddle underneath I guess. By the way...what kind of carpet has been used successfully.???

• Baller

no, there's a bunch of choices now. Here's some photos of mine. It's a very low pile loop, almost like a tiny berber. And it doesnt stay wet or keep the boards wet below. I'm in Orlando though, so plenty of sunshine. r7vzlpxvq8ud.jpg

9qu5v7ybgjsy.jpg

xy4rtxzuc9jr.jpg

I will come back and add photos tomorrow when I can get to some, but I've had good results with Bears' 501 cedar Nateraltone and proper preparation of the area. I re-apply every 5-6 years, and the entire process of prep and staining takes about 1-2 days depending on weather.

• Baller

It's only been a year but as far as I can tell it still looks the same. Everyone comments on it when they come out. (We have been a low budget place forever).

Plywood and outdoor stain/paint have been out MO for 30 years.