97 echelon 320 monsoon engine issue

TFisher

• Baller

All -

Took my 1997 malibu echelon for the first time this year yesterday. Engine is a 320 efi monsoon.

Engine initially starts fine, runs fine and pulls a skier.

We sit for about 1/2 an hour and boat starts and dies. Will idle for a bit, but chugs and dies under load. Backfires at least once. Also smell fuel. I had it towed down the lake as it wouldn't run for any period of time.

After getting on the trailer, I pull the distributor cap (replaced about 3 years ago) and it's corroded. The whole area under the distributor cap appears to have received moisture at some point. Clean it and rotor button (quick clean) and same issue. It appears there are some electronics (ignition control module?) under the distributor cap which are corroded as well.

I'm going to change out plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Given how bad the piece of electronics looked, I'm considering changing it as well

Couple questions - Is that the electronic piece (suspect it to be ignition control) marine specific part or can I pick up at an auto parts store? Any other ideas on what it could be? As stated above, boat was fine until it sat after running.

• Baller
You are likely experiencing vapor lock. A known problem with that era of Malibu...and other manufacturers for that matter. I've found propping the engine box and running the blower for a while when I know I'm going to sit for 20-30 minutes helps. There is a lot of discussion on TheMalibuCrew.com regarding this issue, and a known solution with a secondary fuel pump. If you search around on that site, you'll learn all you want to know about the dreaded vapor lock issue for your boat.

• Baller
That's the ignition module not likely your problem but if it's over four years old I would replace it. Use Delco parts if you can find them by you and I bet it cures your problem.

• Baller
Replacing the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires if bad will likely cure your problem. Also a good idea to replace the two fuel filters and clean the back fire spark arrester. Good complete tune up!

• Baller

Sethro - I've had the boat for 12 years and it typically doesn't behave like this. My understanding was that vapor lock was on ongoing problem under certain conditions (get it hot and let it sit). This is a new problem, so I'm leaning against, but will look into it.

Gar - Is the ignition module marine specific? It's at least 12 years old probably original with 1100 hours on it. The last time it behaved like this (300 - 400 hours ago) it was distributor cap and rotor,but cleaning it up fixed it temporarily (until I could replace). Yesterday cleaning had no effect so I'm thinking something additional might be going on.

• Baller

No it's not marine specific. I agree with you about the behavior. I think it needs a good complete tune up. I did this on mine once every three years despite hours because of moisture and did not want problems way up the river requiring a tow! All of the parts can be purchased at auto parts houses but I prefer Delco if you can find. If not go with a good brand not the bottom line stuff.

In regards to vapor lock, in real hot weather and really all the time, I would turn the key and wait a few seconds prior to cranking to prime the fuel rail.

Guess you have an ac delco distributor.

You can exchange the module with automotive parts. It's exactly the same. And 30% cheaper; )

The only difference between acdelco automotive and marine is the bottomplate of the distributor(Marine version got some vent holes)

This type of distributor is also used for chevy 350 tbi engines (chevy van 1995/1997) no vortech.

5tmhblxs0t1m.jpg

• Baller
Oh, and worse case I have ever experienced was when I filled my boat with gas in February, skied a couple times, then had neck surgery. Got the boat out again in mid August and after floating while the kids were swimming I was vapor locked for over an hour. I theorized the winter blend of gas was making it worse.

• Baller

Sethro - That is interesting. I filled the boat with winter blend. Normally it's gone before it gets hot (April isn't that hot here). It was 90 yesterday and first time out. That is a new variable.

Thanks to all for the help!

TF

• Baller
Your symptoms were textbook vapor lock for a Malibu with the monsoon. And I read your post to mean you tried cleaning the corrosion right away and it didn't have a chance to cool down. Any chance you have an insulated motor box? I'm convinced that adds to the issue as well.