Looking for a new boat

Howa1500

• Baller
@Howa1500 That boat has the 6L engine. I think the 6L 200's are the best skiing boats ever. The big 4 now are all crazy good, but the 200 and the 6L is a match from skier heaven.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
54k does seem kind of heavy, but once you consider all the upgrades, engine, tower, linc 2.0, it might not be too crazy once you really look at book value. I actually think the colors are pretty awesome, and I think the biggest thing this boat has going for it is the tower. On a day out on a public lake, a tower is an absolute necessity to get all the sticks out of the seating areas.

• Baller

@Howa1500 54K is a lot, but it's listed by a dealer. Dealers always seem to ask high. Orlando Nautiques, sure they have a trailer there somewhere to throw in. If interested, cash talks, make a reasonable offer (not based on listing price but market) and it's a yay or a nay. If nay, then next...

At 250hrs its just nicely broke in, should show as new (if not, lots of $ off) and I thought the yellow purple was kinda cool, very unique, looked better than I would have thought. But it's not blue so tough sell colors, hence more $ off.

Make a deal or don't, your boat (or not), bet they will come way off that $54K or they will have it awhile.

Price, color and so forth regardless, still like the 6L 200's for driving and for slalom. Have a 2011 5.7 200 that is great, still think the 6L's better. Splitting hairs though. Any TXI, 200, Carbon Pro, ProStar (with fixed tranny) are great rides, wouldn't turn down a pull behind any.

• Baller
@Howa1500 The 200 is a relatively high drag hull. Lots going on under there to shape the wakes and get the tracking (the best tracking). The 5.7 is fine but it is working on short set ups and at altitude. With the 6L it is dial-a-speed, quick and locks in easy. Most importantly I find it ski's smoother. Both great, 6L better. The 6L is supposed to use slightly less gas (lighter, not working as hard), but I haven't monitored one to know myself.

• Baller

Hey guys. Back here again. I am also again in the market for an upgraded boat. We lost out on an early 00's Responxe LX a couple years ago, and gave up on the search and just used our old outboard. But, . . . just broke that boat. So, back in the search. Looking at late 90's Response LX's as the most likely candidate. Fits our budget the best, and from all my searches here in the past, suits our needs well.

QUESTION: Was there a Response that was not a LX or a LXi? One ad I am looking at and interested in, in the Lake Samammish, WA area (I can make that drive and will be up there soon anyway) does not mention LX in the ad. It clearly is a step-over and not a step through, so I was thinking LX.

• Baller

@BRY Can you give us a little more info on what you mean when you say it is working on short setups and at altitude? Or does anybody else have good info on the comparison of these two engines in a 200? @Howa1500 are you at elevation? Do you have a short setup? Maybe I missed that in the conversation.

Anyway, I see this one being sold out of highlands ranch, CO (6,000 feet) and It has me wondering. I am at elevation, (4,500 feet) and often deal with a very short setup, and I'm wondering just how ugly it might get with a 200/5.7.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=37594

• Baller
When they did one of the Big Dawg stops in Denver, the 5.7 was unable to get consistent times. The 5.7 in the SN200 is quite a bit slower to speed than the 6.0 (or either of the current engine offerings). If you're at higher altitude and/or have a short setup, you will be much better off with the 6.0 vs. the 5.7. Another plus for the 6.0 over the 5.7 is that is has a closed cooling system (heat exchanger vs. pulling lake water through the engine). The 6.0 uses slightly less fuel than the 5.7 as well. My experience skiing behind both engines matches what @BRY said above, the 6.0 just feels smoother (better) to me.

• Baller_

@sunvalleylaw : I am going to guess that the "BTS cruise control" is the Malibu version, which in my opinion if you are serious about skiing the course will fall short of your expectations. If you choose to upfit whatever you purchase with a Perfect Pass system, you are looking at dropping ~$1k+ for that upgrade. Just a note when shopping.

Also, the hulls on the LX and LXi are enough different that the wakes are different between those two boats since the beam is ~3" wider on the LXi.

• Baller

@wtrskior , thanks for that clarification. @DW thanks also. WRT LX vs. LXi, I prefer the smaller hull, and step-over. And those are the boats I am looking at. My brother who owns a tige' can go check out the boat I am looking at, and maybe can bring a skiing friend of his who owns a '99 LX.

WRT the speed control/timing, we are primarily freeskiers who might hit the course once in a while, though where we ski mostly, there is no course. So not a huge priority. Still, if I could get a boat that had it, it would be nice to use for consistency for when I do get to ski a course. When I do, it is usually behind someone else's newer, fancier boat at a ski lake nearby. And their boats have at least Perfect Pass if not Zero Off. Frankly, I am not sure which.

• Baller
@scotchipman I think there is some set of opinions out there saying that the 200 has a softer/smaller wake than the TXI, especially for long line, slow speed guys like myself, and especially a TXI with the wedge. Maybe people are just saying it, but I've heard it a fair amount - obviously the real trick would be to just ski them myself and decide for myself if that's true or not.

• Baller
@Howa1500 - you will love the boat. We hosted the 2014 States here at Okeeheelee and I found myself driving a 2014 MB. We don't see them often in South Florida, so I didn't know what to expect as I hadn't driven one since 2011. It drove great IMO, I pulled several Master Men into 41 with that boat and had no issue with tracking. Enjoy!

• Baller
Awesome looking boat. I wish it was mine. I spent a couple of hours driving a TXI last weekend in a tournament and it was great. Pulled everything from 15 mph juniors to 35 off at 36 mph and the boat was easy to drive and tracked great. If I had the money for a new boat the TXI would be high on my list.