Looking for a new boat

Howa1500

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of really nice TXI's on Ski it again for around 40K. Both open bow. Here's my favorite. It's been on there a while he just can't get a commitment. I'm out of the game until house is built so get after it! It's just not quite my time. Damn responsibilities!

SIA ad number: 34485

A couple of really nice TXI's on Ski it again for around 40K. Both open bow. Here's my favorite. It's been on there a while he just can't get a commitment. I'm out of the game until house is built so get after it! It's just not quite my time. Damn responsibilities!

SIA ad number: 34485

There are many great Malibus and nautiques on the market right now, none in which are remotely in my area. I live in New York and everything seems to be halfway across the country. I have to emphasize we will be test driving the boat before we buy it

There are many great Malibus and nautiques on the market right now, none in which are remotely in my area. I live in New York and everything seems to be halfway across the country. I have to emphasize we will be test driving the boat before we buy it

I know the feeling! When we get around to it we might have to schedule a vacation to do a test drive! I'm pretty sure there are very experienced owners/drivers on here that have gone and looked at and maybe even driven boats in their areas for perspective purchasers. It's been a while but I believe it has happened.

I know the feeling! When we get around to it we might have to schedule a vacation to do a test drive! I'm pretty sure there are very experienced owners/drivers on here that have gone and looked at and maybe even driven boats in their areas for perspective purchasers. It's been a while but I believe it has happened.

I highly recommend a northern boat. The interiors have much less sun damage and the short season typically forces a compressed maintenance cycle. Many northern boats only have 80-100 hours per season. In Michigan, a day's drive away, there are typically many boats for sale - look at Craigslist around Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Flint, and Detroit. If you find one, throw it out on the board here and see if someone can perform a look-see for you so you don't waste time on a boat with obvious issues.

I highly recommend a northern boat. The interiors have much less sun damage and the short season typically forces a compressed maintenance cycle. Many northern boats only have 80-100 hours per season. In Michigan, a day's drive away, there are typically many boats for sale - look at Craigslist around Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Flint, and Detroit. If you find one, throw it out on the board here and see if someone can perform a look-see for you so you don't waste time on a boat with obvious issues.

• Baller

I will tell you that I had two girls in the front of my 200. They weren't small girls but total weight prob 300 lbs.

I have never seen so much water come over the bow in my life. I was scared the nose was going in.

Long story short 200 OB is worthless with people in the bow.

I love my boat and luckily I live on a private lake and nobody gets in the front but I just thought I'd share my story.

@boarditup is correct, you should check the upper Midwest. In addition to Michigan, check for boats in Wisconsin and Minnesota, maybe even in Chicago area. When we were looking 4 years ago we had 2 SN196s lined up in Wisconsin, in the Lake Geneva area. If the first hadn't worked out, we were going for the second one, third choice boat was in Michigan.

• Baller
What are you looking to spend? There are two or three 200s for sale on the Okeeheelee starting dock cork board. I can make note of the details tonight and let you know if you haven't made a purchase yet.

• Baller

I'll gladly volunteer to go lay eyes on or test drive anything around Chicago, Milwaukee, or Madison if you're looking out this way at all. I'm great at spending other people's money!

On the TXi vs 200, I lean TXi for reasons listed already. It's the more versatile boat. Your family is only slalom now, but kids always get into other stuff. TXi is better for that. If you are mostly an open water family, TXi will be better there too with a bit more freeboard and less likelihood of chili dipping the bow. Ergonomically, I find the dash layout of the 200 to be kindof cheesy, but I'm tall so visibility over the dash isn't really a problem. Finally, which side do you prefer to dock on? 200 prop rotation is good for driver and skier only but some people dislike it for docking since the back end goes left instead of right in reverse.

Can't go wrong with either though, and your family is going to love whatever you end up with!

• Baller
I have a 200 and ski behind a TXI frequently. To me the biggest difference is drivability. The 200 is easier to drive a straight line in the course than the TXI. I also find the 22 bump a little smaller on the TXI @34 mph but the 28 off bump is a little firmer. I know the wake on the 200 is awesome for kids but I'm not sure how the TXI is at the longer line lengths and lower speeds. I feel the opposite of @UWSkier on the interior. I prefer the 200 over the TXI dash. It seems to flow better than the TXI. Just ask anyone who is trying to start the engine on a TXI for the first time. Honestly, if I were looking for a boat that was the most versatile I would pick the TXI.

• Baller
I bought a txi over the winter and love it!! I have been skiing mostly at 22 this year and love the wake. Granted I'd love the wake even more at 28 or 32, just not there quite yet. Kids love it too. I do have the chance to ski a 200 from time to time and they are fantastic too. I don't think you could possibly go wrong with either. If the difference is 8k, the choice should be easy.

• Baller

@Howa1500 - Sorry, both of the 200s on the board at Okeeheelee are closed bow.

You asked earlier in the thread about the differences between the 2010 and later models. Really not much between them. I'd still give Jeff Smith a call at Silver Spray Sports in Michigan, he will treat you right.