SN 196 Prop at High Altitude

jedgell

• Baller

Just got a 2004 SN 196 with Excallibur. Had it out at the lake this past weekend and it's dog out of the hole. Has the ACME 422 on it, but the ends on a couple blades are bent. We're at 4,800', does anyone have a good prop recommendation? I've skied and driven plenty of 196's with the 422 prop, never needed more power. Not sure if it's just the damaged prop, or elevation or partly both. At WOT got to 40 mph at 4,700 rpm.

Thanks

• Baller_

I would get the propeller repaired before looking for new. if you have a good prop shop you can ask them to take a little cup out of it. WOT should be in the 5200 RPM range with that engine.

Also when was the last tune up? many owners bring in their boats wanting to know why it wont perform, 12 year old boat original FCC filter, Cap/rotor, spark plugs.

• Baller
Thanks @ Jody_Seal. Will replace plugs and FCC filter and see if that helps. Since we need a new prop anyway, can't afford to wait 1-2 weeks to get it repaired (as you know the season is too short in MT), I might get a prop with 1/2" less pitch.

• Baller
I run a 654 on my 02 196 with the excalibur 330. I ski in Fort collins CO so pretty similar elevation. Hole shot is a little slow but managable. Runs 41 at 5,000 rpm. Can pull a 6 foot 2 in. 220 pound skier at 36 mph without any problem.

• Baller
I run a 654 on my 02 196 with the excalibur 330. I ski in Fort collins CO so pretty similar elevation. Hole shot is a little slow but managable. Runs 41 at 5,000 rpm. Can pull a 6 foot 2 in. 220 pound skier at 36 mph without any problem.

@skier2788 - Get your shit together!

@lcgordon - I have a 422 on my 08 now and don't have any issues with 36 mph pulling @skier2788 or I at 5280 ft. The hole shot is very weak though. If you're having issues with power might even look into replacing fuel filters, plugs, wires and cap/rotor.

@skier2788 - Get your shit together!

@lcgordon - I have a 422 on my 08 now and don't have any issues with 36 mph pulling @skier2788 or I at 5280 ft. The hole shot is very weak though. If you're having issues with power might even look into replacing fuel filters, plugs, wires and cap/rotor.