Heat Wave

Edbrazil

• Baller

Couple of my stories. At one of the Tour sites in the Phoenix area, I left a plastic

meter sighting arm on the deck behind the rear seat of my rental car. Right next to

the rear window. Later when I picked it up, it had turned into a flexy noodle.

Noting on the weather today, temperatures were going to get near the record of 122

in Phoenix. I was there then, doing the survey work for a SL course on the cableski in

the area. (EZ job: no boatgates needed). Every once in a while, I would walk into the

water, with shorts & t-shirt on. Walking out, it even felt chilly for a short time, as there

was wind, maybe 15-20mph, and the water was evaporating like crazy. 15 minutes

later, I was dry. It "cooled" down at night there, getting all the way down to 95

degrees by the AM.

I can remember getting into my rental car that had been sitting in the sun, and not being

able to touch anything, as it all was so hot. Arizona is something else.

• Baller

It's upon us! Water temp gauge on my boat yesterday afternoon at 4:40 said our lakes are currently sitting at 94 degrees. And wow it's only 1/2 way into June.

Thinking we will be close to 100 again sooner than later!

But hey we ski them! :)

• Baller

One thing these days, is that people understand the need to hydrate in heat, and drink

water/fluids (beer excepted). Back in the 1950's when I was a kid, we didn't understand

that. Living in NH, in the Summer, when it got up to 80 degrees, I'd have the blahs and

complain about the heat. You didn't necessarily feel thirsty. Now, in FL, 80 feels nice

and temperate, providing that I keep hydrated.

• Baller

120f on the ZO display today. Had to wet the throttle and steering wheel to drive. The water was pleasant at 85f so the skiing was fun.

Hightailed it back to San Diego - keeping the Cessna engine temps in the green was a challenge as were the thermal bumps but it is reasonable here. I love it hot, the zonies escaping the heat support our economy.

Eric

• Baller
Tried finding my photo of Edbrazil and the pile of hydration cans around his total station, but couldn't locate it, but he hydrated constantly. I recall at one long-ago Texas nationals, my friend's dad remarked, "this heat is great, you can drink beer all day long and never have to take a leak".