Consistency on a new ski

skiboyny

• Baller
For you guys that change skis often. I was on a HO A-1 for about 5 years and really liked that ski. Switched to HO V-Type and although it seems to do every thing better than the A-1 I have no consistency on it at all. Never did get up to my personal best either. Now I'm not getting any younger and don't change skis that often so for you guys that do, could it be the ski?

• Baller
It's a 2015 Strange to me. It seems to have good speed tight turns good breaks but not all the time! Possibly small sweet spot that I don't always find.Just wondering if there have been skis that you guys have been on thinking that all was well but no consistency.

• Baller
@MS I can run beautiful passes on this ski. But I'm more hit a miss than ever before! I can't point to any one thing in particular onside has always been a bit fussy to come all the way around. When it does it's top shelf. Seems a bit more affected by wind and water conditions also.

• Baller
I rode one last year and felt the same way. Would randomly dump me over in the turn. I could tell that when I was on it would do wonders but being the mortal hack I am (and most skiers are) I was not at all consistent on it. I've found since, that many felt the same way on it. Move on IMO!

• Baller
Consistency has a lot to do with the size of the "sweet spot". Sometimes that can be improved by bind placement and fin tweaking. However a lot of the people who were on the V-type have moved on to the "R" due to one reason or another.

• Baller

@wtrskior @LeonL Thanks guys for your input. I hate to blame a ski as there is plenty more I need to learn not looking for some magic improvement (though that would be nice) just can't be so hit and miss.

• Administrators
@skiboyny 2015 HO V TYPE? You might try focusing on keeping your head up and shoulders more level from the wake to the ball. That was my big key on that ski - especially going to onside.

• Baller

@Horton Yes its a 2015 V Type. I will try to make that a conscious effort. I think the onside hasn't been dependable for me. The off side is always there. I'm sure if I had more talent it wouldn't be a problem! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Baller
I have trouble finding consistency on my '15 as well. When I ski really well I like it a lot, but I don't ski well on it as often as I'd like. Like Horton said it seems to ski better when I focus on level shoulders through the turn. Being very patient though the turn helps me personally too, so I seem to wait just a tad longer to re connect to the handle. All in all I am looking forward to a new ski but I know its 90% me. Okay maybe 75%

• Baller
@Horton now your selling me a new ski! Honestly though from what I have heard everyone thinks the VTR is a better ski. It's hard to ride a ski that's very capable when you are, but seems to punish you a bit when your not. I am really looking for the automatic ski. Felt that way about the A-1 this one not so much....

• Administrators
@skiboyny image you are a ski designer. Do you make a ski with lower potential but easier to ride? The other way around? Somewhere in between? (There is no right answer)

• Baller
@Horton I think you have to look at the target audience. The reality is I'm not a pro neither are the majority of potential ski buyers. I think the correct answer is what all the manufacturers are searching for. Problem is they design some great skis that are very well accepted by many skiers. As time goes by they go a bit flat. The ski you were riding is long gone. Now you have to search for a new ski with a different design that you can get along with. And all of this is almost by design because the name of the game of course is sell new skis! I hate to blame a ski for my short comings. This ski does some great things. (Sometimes)

• Baller
I may have solved my problem. Goode Rev 6. Equaled my best on the HO VT on the first set! I know you always hear that but it's true. Very consistent for me so far only 4 sets in might just be the honeymoon but VERY comfortable to ski on, turns great and appears to be a lot more forgiving.