What caused this bobble at 4 ball?

skispray

• Baller

This pass seemed to be going okay until 4 ball. I felt fine coming into the ball but the ski started to chatter badly at the apex. It may be hard to diagnosis the issue due to the low video quality but when I watched it in slow motion I thought I might have been a bit too far on the tail coming into the turn and then tried to stomp on the front to make the ski turn, which it didn't like. Any thoughts on if that's correct or not? Anything else that leads to this or should be changed?

• Supporting Member

I think the shoulder dropped as a result of the bobble. The cause was probably long before that. Didn't finish three cleanly and then got folded a bit on the way to four, resulting in skiing straight at it and not having enough room to rotate the ski before the ball. Then tried to jam the turn anyhow (at that point, why not!?), which resulted in suddenly putting the brakes on and breaking you over.

Nice job maintaining balance and finishing the pass!

• Baller

It happened at the edge change into 3-ball. You lost your stack at that edge change before 3-ball. When you finished 3, the boat came onto you and your hips were still behind you. That's what caused the bobble off the 2nd wake into 4-ball. This put you further out of balance. As such you lost speed and didn't have the momentum to keep balanced on the ski while rounding 4 at that angle. This resulted in you "falling" through the turn with an abrupt finish with excessive load.

So, what we see is the end of a chain of events. The shoulder/fall at 4 was the result of the edge change prior to 3-ball.

• Baller
Your 4 ball was a function of your gate pullout. You pull out for your gate a little on the tail with your hips a little behind you and that carries through the course. What that caused was the creation of too much load through the wakes, excess separation off the wakes and then falling backwards and inside at the buoy which is why your shoulder dipped. It happened to a lesser extent on the 2 ball as well as 1 and 3. My advice would be to make sure you're standing tall on the ski with good stack, weight over the front foot and you won't have that problem.

• Baller

You know I was watching video of some earlier passes and I think I have pinpointed the fatal mistake that led to this bobble a few passes earlier. Or maybe it was when I was first learning to ski! ;-)

In seriousness, the insight here is pretty valuable because I felt that the bobble, or the skipping of my ski, happened just before apex and was what threw my upper body out of balance. I actually thought about standing tall everywhere, a la @Horton, on the next pass and it was much smoother.

I also thought I was a little back on the ski on this gate pull-out relative to video of my other passes but wouldn't have made the connection myself.

Next set I will need to get the weight on the front foot and stand tall, and also keep my shoulders nice and level through the turns. Thanks everyone for the help.

• Baller
Consider this and get the panda ready. The water at that lake is about 12 to fifteen feet deep at 3 ball and is about 4 feet deep at four. The ski sits nice and deep turning 3 and at at four it is sitting high with less grip and no time to adjust your balance. It drove me nuts for years. It's even worse going the opposite direction when you go from shallow to deep and the tip wants to bite at four. I spent hours watching video and making fin adjustments to no avail. It is a difficult place to ski.

• Baller

Freeze at 9 seconds. That is 2 ball. Note your head is leading the way, which puts you in a risky situation, any hiccups, waterbugs, etc., and you will drop further down and break at the waist.

The waterbugs caught up to you at 4 ball...

Stay stacked with eyes level to water lead with your belly button and outside hip and get the ski under the rope, you can handle a lot more waterbugs in that position.