Most Useful Practice Habits

• Baller

Other than practicing consistently as often as possible, does anyone have an opinion on the most important practice habits that have helped improve their skiing and make the most out of practice time?

I'm not talking about things like counter-rotating, tightening butt cheeks, straightening that back leg, or getting stacked. I agree that technique is important, but interpreting each of the above suggestions seems to be subjective and the magic sauce for one person is often useless to another. We, or at least our bodies, each interpret those technique adjustments differently and the techniques themselves are often up for debate.

For me, I have personally found nothing that seems to improve my skiing other than time on the water. I can analyze my skiing all I want or try any crazy idea to improve my technique and there has never been a eureka moment. However, regardless of that, over time I see steady improvement and the more I'm on the water the faster I improve.

Unfortunately, for myself and others practice time is limited for a variety of reasons. Good practice habits seem like they have the potential to improve skill by making the most out of practice time.

To give people an idea of what I mean by practice habits I've come up with some examples. I'm not endorsing these approaches to practice (I'm not good enough or experienced enough to do that), but they are just examples of practice habits so its clear what I have in mind:

- skiing manageable line lengths and using the extra 'time' to work on technique

- skiing with 100% effort no matter which line length one is working on

- skiing more sets but fewer passes per set

- exercising off the lake so you are more prepared when you do get on the water

- relaxing before pulling out for the gate

- clear my head and just ski

- focusing on improving just one thing for long periods of time

• Baller
Approach each set focused with a plan for the set. Too often I get on the water and waste my first pass or two because I'm not mentally prepared. I try to have a plan to execute when I start skiing. Sometimes the plan changes once I start skiing but I at least try to be aware of that fact.

• Baller

Been wondering the same thing and here's my take as I've begun to take course skiing more seriously this year.

I think you're on the right track with that list. We all struggle to manage life and skiing so the off water activities with skiing in mind (cross-training) are always a good thing. I've been focusing on three things to help my skiing - core strength, balance and endurance. All things that should help anyone's skiing.

As for the on-water time goes I would suggest starting the season with some sort of professional coaching. I've been skiing my entire life but wasn't introduced to the technical side of skiing until this summer and it was that "eureka moment" you referred to above.

A local club hosted a clinic with @CParrish43 and those 3 sets completely blew my mind. I had a break through morning and skied passes I barely touched my entire life. Fast forward a few weeks and those passes are more consistent for me and I'm pushing into more PB's as the summer progresses. I wasn't a bad skier before but the little bit of coaching has given me a lot to chew on this summer.

Once we got the season started on the right track I came up with a sort of plan for the summer. Nothing official or spoken and mine has varied week to week but I always try and keep my end of summer goals in mind. This has helped me stay focused on a few key aspects of my skiing and removed a lot of the "clutter" we all get caught up in as we try to progress. Of course, there's always that morning when you say screw it...lets go fast or cut the line to break up the routine....I mean we all ski to have fun, right?

Lastly, I would say finding people who can push you and refresh your memory on the coaching you had in the spring is a huge plus. I don't think it's fair to expect ski partners to become your coach but if they can help you focus on those core training tips from your coaching then you'll be able to keep it fresh all summer.

• Baller

@DefectiveDave Approach every set with a plan and something you want to work on, don't just go out and ski.

Change up your sets with speed and line lengths.

Going down the line.

doubling up each pass before you move on.

Going down the line then back to your opener.

Just change it up to keep things fresh.

• Baller

I think the biggest thing for me is:

1. Practice more often as mentioned above. That is really hard for me as well.

2. Know what drills etc you plan on implementing.

3. Have your equipment prepared. Don't make changes right before your first pass.

4. Most importantly, execute 1-3 better than I do.

Recently I dropped by our club for a lunchtime social, you know ,quick coffee and chat, then back to work. I wanted quietly to talk about my missed 35 at the weekend and the 'plan'.

That day, They had a group of apx 20 disadvantaged youngsters there who they were teaching to ski. The outing was sponsored by a premier league soccer club, giving inner city kids an opportunity to do something different in life. They had two boats running, a fully staffed dock, two in each boat, 'booms' on the boats, land staff teaching the basics. All the youngsters were wearing ill fitting hire wet suits and cumbersome life jackets.

I have never seen so much joy as each came back to the dock, bums hanging out , gripping the bar and ski's at an impossible angle, shouts of delight. Each then desperate for another go. The smiles took my breath away, then I remembered......

It dawned on me what was wrong with my skiing, I had lost the joy. Beating myself up with every missed attempt at breaking a pb, each set becoming a torment. Back to the dock with frustration, endless plans and must do better. More dft, shallower, where next, consult Jays book!...OMG

So the moral of the story is smile, enjoy it. Since that day my skiing has greatly improved, not my score yet, but I am so much more relaxed and enjoying it. It will happen with my new attitude. Don't forget why you started and whats kept you in this sport it. When you loose the joy you wont be long in the sport.

Most useful practice habit..., Enjoy it!

Robert...28 years of slalom ...unlikely to challenge Nate/Freddie/Will....having a blast on my Denali!

• Baller

@roberto - well said! We hosted a similar clinic this year and the feelings were the same with all out volunteers. Perspective is essential.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5773f04d893fc0a4874c84ee/577413543e00be03fed9f0c5/5774137529687f5703e8c9bb/1467224951817/13501813_191989194532618_3253723473316638957_n.jpg?format=1000w