Query: Visuals/Visualization - path of ski relative to handle for an improving 15 offer????

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Bottom line, looking for either a drawing/chart/graphic, or a video from above the skier looking directly down that perhaps a drone could shoot showing the path of the ski relative to the handle. Basically, looking straight down at the skier.

Woke up thinking 'bout slalom, handle control, lighter line, not getting pulled down course in pre-turn, etc. There is a lot that goes into all of that. But then I started to think of the old pendulum section from LaPoint and Suyderhoud I used to watch ages ago. If anyone remembers that tape, the section on 28 off made most sense to me and for me to watch.

It showed the path of the ski swinging from between the boat and the handle, underneath the handle and out for the turn. Now, things have changed a lot since those days. (Though I believe that Bob controlled his handle pretty darned well, even if we spoke about things differently and some things are different today.) But today, though we now do not spend a bunch of time dumping speed in the preturn, the ski still has to swing out from between the boat and the handle, to outside the handle to smoothly make the turn, and to allow the ski to comeback to the rope and pass back under the rope to come back to between the boat and the handle at turn completion.

In one of the 15 off threads there has been discussion regarding 15 offers needing to carry speed out to the ball longer (while developing skill to allow edge change sooner while maintaining handle control). But again, the ski has to get from between the boat and the ski to outside the handle for the turn, then back.

For me, being a visual person that likes to visualize things even off the water, it would be super helpful to have a drawing/chart/graphic, or a video from above the skier looking directly down that perhaps a drone could shoot showing the path of the ski relative to the handle. Basically, something looking straight down at the skier. Granted, that path changes as the line length shortens. But seeing something at line lengths of 15 off through say 28 or 32 if they exist, or even shorter if the longer line lengths don't exist would be cool.

Anyone know of anything? And even if you don't if you have thoughts about what I was trying to say in my 15 offish way, please chime in. Thanks! :)

You're kind of asking the wrong questions, as at your length all you need to worry about is turn in slow and get your body aligned, however here is an overhead shot of a skiier that i took from pretty high so you could see the alignment, this is a very tall skiier skiing 28 so it's not too far off what a good 15 should look like.

• Baller
@kfennell Thanks for that vid. Yes, as I mentioned, there are lots and lots of things to focus on, but visualizing some timing and ski path would also be interesting and possibly helpful. Not in a vacuum and ignoring other foundational things (so many threads I have found here) that must be mastered to get there, but still.

@sunvalleylaw There really isnt lots of things... We have taught a few beginners here and all we talk about is get tall and wide on your gate, turn in slow and with the line and get lined up behind the boat. What you do at the ball is almost irrelevant at -15 but the ski will take the right path if you get lined up behind the boat and then let it swing out with the speed you just made. Don't worry about anything else but those three things till about -28...

• Baller

I don't really consider myself a beginner, just not much of a course skier, particularly in recent years. I have skied since the 1970's. I used to ski the course pretty regularly, albeit behind an outboard I could pull around a little. My self-description as a 15 offer is that I probably can't now make consistently more than that, since I rarely see a course. But I have tried for years and years to ski as though I was in a course in terms of technique. So that is why I am interested in these things.

But, maybe I am a beginner in terms of course, and so should think only about what you suggest. I am pretty decent at making speed across the wake, but do want to change how I do it with a lighter line.

• Baller
Post up some video so we can see where you at. I slowed down to 32mph recently trying to learn 28off and it helped me visually see what I needed to be doing. Visually to me 15 and 22off are similar but 28off I'm starting my turn earlier and getting closer to the ball.