Switch from Rubber to Reflex

Glock

• Baller

I am considering switching from a Wiley front boot to a Reflex front boot. Not sure which one to get if I decide to try it out. Any recommendations on whether I should consider the white cuff, black cuff, or Supershell?

A little history to help me make my decision. I broke my foot in Animals eight years ago, switched to double Powershells for a while but didn't like the Velcro do to unwanted separations from the ski. Switched to double Wileys a few years ago and have been fairly happy with those and feel pretty safe. Now I'm thinking about front Reflex and either Wiley rear or RTP. My main concern is safety, I'm not interested in breaking my foot or tearing up a knee or achilles. Performance is second.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

• Baller

I went from double D3 T-Factors to the black top reflex and R-style. This was a very easy transition only took a few sets to get right up to my normal score. Problem I had was my 13 foot was just a little to big for the old reflex, my big toe nail turned black. I went to the Supershell and this was a more difficult transition. It took a few weeks and some adjustments to binding location to dial it in. At one point I was about ready to give up due to the extra tip sensitivety. After I got used to it I couldn't be happier.

I really like the R-style. My partner didn't like it and went with a RTP.

• Baller
@Glock I replaced my front Wiley with a black Reflex front and kept the Wylie rear wrap. It took a half-dozen sets before I was totally liking it, and I've never looked back. I put a drugstore insole in the Intuition liner, and I inspect and tighten things pretty regularly. Sounds like you’ve already tried a hardshell setup, but make it easy on yourself and keep the top buckle loose for the first few rides.

• Baller

@Glock for safety you might want to take a look at the MOB, www.mobsystemrelease.com . And you can easily use your Powershell boots on the system if you still have them. Or use the Supershell if you like that boot.

Whatever you choose if you don't go to a rtp, you should use a loose fitting Wiley's rear so that your back foot always comes out when the front boot releases. Other options include the Rstyle, Radar HRT, and HO ChopTop.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

For fun I went from a Strada front to a Reflex front a couple of years ago and it took me a couple of sets before I could run my opener. By the fourth or fifth set I was running down the rope to my practice average.

I went back to the Strada a couple of years ago when I was struggling with a new ski and have just stayed on it.

@Glock Hi I went from double animals (lost two seasons with injuries) to double powershells loved them but didn't like the tape, went to rtp big adjustment, did it for ease of getting up. This year switched to reflex supershells , loved it from the first set.