cheap course buoys?

WBLskier

• Baller
Least expensive or cheapest? I've found that Wally skier buoys have better color retention tan any others I've tried? They're made by Taylor. They're definitely not inexpensive, but may be less expensive in the long run.

• Baller
My own experience is that the Polyforms we had were rendered useless after a month in the sun. Our Wally Buoys - while expensive to buy and ship are very nice and have no color fade. No cracks on top and look "brand new." If you can swing it, get the Wally Buoys.

• Baller
We are in our second year with Wally's. They have not faded and still look new. Our club did not want to spend the extra money on Wally's so I and another member buy them for club mainly because we have the worst ankles in the club. I Never want to hit a buoy but the two times I hit a Wally this year my ankle survived to ski another day.

• Baller_

We have about 15 poly forms that we rotate in and out. We paint them in blaze orange and rotate. I love the look of the blaze orange and it helps with the sets close to dark.

We use surgical tubing to attach to the sub buoys. It holds them down but still stretches a few feet if ball gets hit and displaces. We are going on 12 years with no ankle injuries.

• Baller
We used Polyforms and they didn't even last the first season with a number deflating because the top surface started melting and perishing from the sun. We purchased Wally buoys this last season and they have been fantastic. They don't fade, and none have deflated. Most people say they will last many years if looked after so even though we leave the course in over winter we removed the Wally buoys . We reckon we will save money in the long run.

• Baller
You guys make me sick. Bragging about all the seasons you get out of a set of balls, balls fading after one season etc... We get 1-2 months out of a set of balls. Overtons seem to be the best for us, with Polyform being the worst. I will say to use EZ Ed even though his are poly's because his costumer support is superior to the rest.

• Baller
We use Wally for turn and gate buoys. Boat guides are Polyform that we paint with Flexabar Buoy Coating for PVC & Inflatable Vinyl Buoys. I thought we would re-paint every year, but we're in the third year with just minor touch-up. Very satisfied.

• Baller
I have read about skiers putting water in turn balls for "safety" (I just can't remember which thread). Is this a good idea and how does it help? My turn balls are connected to sub-buoys with a short piece of latex tubing but I only put air in them.

• Baller

@Mark_Matis much easier & simple to utilize a water filled buoy. EZ Ed has recommended water buoys over counter weights on this forum before.

The water filled buoy doesn't change the dynamics of the course at all, while counter weights do.

I find with most portable courses I see people over-inflate the buoys, including boat guides. I find the course is more stationary when its trying to sink, as opposed to float. Its not necessary to try and sink the course, it will do that all by itself.

• Baller

Just had Polyform replace 50 red buoys for free. They lasted just over 2 months. The color fastness was fine but the top of the buoy cracked and leaked air. We will be switching to Wally Skier buoys next. At $17 that's rough when you have 4 slalom courses but I think it will be worth it.

The Gladiator buoys from Overtons are junk. They fade to pink in less then 2 months.