What exacty was wrong with the early model centurions?

Ilivetoski

• Baller
We are now (thank god, as of about 3 hours ago) in the market for a new boat. First choice is a 200 on our lake but we arent sure if they are selling yet, if that does not work out we have a few 196's and a Centurion that we are looking at. Its a 6L 2013 in Tennessee (if anyone knows the boat, that would help). I have heard people say that the centurions had some issues in early years, well when did these "issues" start getting cleared up, and what exactly were the issues? Also, what really is the benefit of having a 6L over a 5.7? We have one short side at our lake, but everyone has 5.7s and no issues getting up to speed.

• Administrators

My buddy Bob had maybe the first promo boat from the first year. 2012 maybe. It was ok. It looked like a first year product. Nothing really "wrong" with it. I did not like the color of the vinyl - stupid I know. The transmission made a clunk noise that does not hurt anything but drives some skiers nuts. Then he got the next years boat and it was better - all the little stuff was better.

It seems that every year they just get better. I have had 3 Centurions - a 2014 6L, 2015 5.7 and a 2016 5.7. Each one is a tiny bit better than that last. I have been super happy with all 3.

That 2014 6L was a BLAST to drive. I think a 6L will stand up longer after thousands of hours but I am totally happy with the 5.7. If the current owner takes good care of his stuff go ski the boat. If it runs good and such - get it.

• Baller

Here we go... another my 10 year old 196 with 3k hours is better than your boat.

@Horton I really like skiing behind the Carbon pro. Please, Please ask Centurion to fix the engine cover hinges! How many toes get jammed on those each season?

• Baller
@OB1 you are full of crap on half the quality. Our Carbon Pro is holding up better than our 196 did and we are over 1,500hrs. Nautiques are certainly nice boats (I will even say nicest) but give me a beak. Also, as far as skiing goes the CP is my #1 and the 196 is a very close second. Best two wakes ever IMO. Yes, you have to drive a CP but not that much more than a 196. Besides, seems like a skilled pilot such as yourself could manage. My wife can keep the Carbon Pro in the middle while I run 39.

• Baller

@Ilivetoski let us know what you think about the boat.

(off topic for just a minute)

@OB1 I am not saying they are not awesome boats, it's just how it sounds in a form and it reminded me of the classic CC fan post. It goes like this...

OP: I looking at buying a LXI, Sunsetter or MC. I ski the course early in the AM and take the family out on public water in the PM. So, I need an open bow.

#1 CC fan: You need a 196, it is the BEST boat. Those other boats suck. Why would you want an open bow anyway?

• Baller
I love my 196 but my PB is behind a 2015 CP (the one in the pics above). There is a definite difference between the early editions and today's product. Mostly in the handling. It certainly has been refined since it was initially introduced. As a pure ski boat, it's hard to beat.

• Baller

Early Centurions had mini wakes and were very difficult to balance. Of course that was back in the 80s. Actually I won my first medal behind one of those Centurions (with a 350 pound release person squishing the boat judge - no tournament supplied weights back then) so I think they are great.

Any Carbon Pro, even the 2011 we got a couple training rides behind, is not an early Centurion. And it is an excellent boat. The trick wake is tiny but way better than @OB1 's Koolaid Nautique. Too many 196s had unskiable tables.

I spent a summer choosing Centurion as my trick boat a couple years ago with good success. Last year it was Malibu. This year it is Nautique. I really miss the old Mastercrafts... But that's another thread.

Eric

• Baller_

for the 2011 CPs, the only issues that I know about are the fit and finish, exposed bolts and stuff like that. They ski great and it is also my PB boat.

We all know where I stand on the 196. It is the greatest ski boat ever produced and CC did the ski world a disservice by removing it from its line up.

• Baller

Hi everyone, Troll here as I like Nautiques... just get that out of the way up front.

I am familiar with @OB1's 196 and as 196's go, that one is top shelf. It drives very, very well and I find it easier to drive than the two CP's I have had the pleasure to drive. The CP's are good, I find most 196's better. I think the 200 is the easiest to drive. Some feel it tracks too well, they like looser boats like CP & 196 better, I like 200's. Skiing behind them I prefer a 200 or CP over any other boat but splitting hairs. The CP ski's very, very, very well.

Nice straw man attacks on someone giving an opinion direct to the OP. Not usually the nature of the forum.

@Ilivetoski, @bishop8950 put it well "Yes, you have to drive a CP but not that much more than a 196." Pretty much sums it up. Also, I thought there was a rudder change somewhere with the early CP's, not sure. I find the PCM 6.0L to be a magic engine. Any boat with it just seems to ski better, smoother. A CP and 196 certainly don't need it, but they do ski a little better and are definitely a kick to drive.

• Baller
Loose pylons are a common issue in most all brands - not a big deal and usually easy to fix by tightening the U-bolts that secure the pylon. What is surprising to me is how many people don't hear or ignore the creaking noise a loose pylon makes.

• Baller

@OB, luv ya brother and you can like whatever you want no worries. But we dont need exaggerative slander. Especially since I assume Centurion are the only company building a current boat for no compromise tournament skiers where how "well it wakeboards" is not a part of the design criteria. They also build it at by far the lowest price point. If you rate them 4th in quality fine. But after 1,500 hours of treating our boat like a tractor, in and out with shoes, nasty buoys, dye, wet baiting suits, kids with snacks climbing all over it NOTHING has gone wrong the Centurion components. The hull looks great and the interior is holding up really well (better than the 196). We have had a few PCM warranty covered issues but you could have the same with a Nautique.

Those running late 2000 196s are smart and getting one of the best boats ever that still feels current. If you can get a CP for $20k more and have a boat that has zero hours (vs 523), is 8 years newer and is a boat you will actually ski behind in a tournament doesn't seem stupid to me. When you compare it to the price of the other new boats it looks pretty smart.

Nothing at all wrong with the Carbon Pro. In my opinion the boat drives just fine and does not take that much input. Having spent some time in Jay Leach's 2016. I'd say these boats improve year to year. Leach's new boat drives really nice. Not to mention its a great looking and skiing boat.

• Baller

As a 2016 CP promo owner, I'm obviously biased, but the boat is built very well. My boat was the first I had seen in person since a 2011 that New England Correct Craft (after they lost Nautique line) was supplying for tournaments. The fit and finish on the boat is dramatically improved and top notch. I also ski an 07 196 6.0L with ZO regularly. That boat rocks too and was a crazy good deal, but I'm always smiling behind the pylon or the wheel of the CP.

5t7gu4zciqyt.jpg

PS- it is available in early September if my son (B1) will let us sell it!

• Baller

I recall the the driveshaft was off center in the first year or two. Those did drive a little differently and didn't respond to user input as symmetrically as they do now.

I've had many skiers drive my boat with various levels of driving skill. Most tend to initially over steer the boat because it does move more than the 200 which the large majority of skiers drive at Okee. However, they settle in after a few passes and say it feels fine...just different. It requires surprisingly little counter to correct. It's very responsive and you can feel the rhythm of the skier which is difficult in the 200. The better drivers really appreciate and enjoy this part of the boat.

It's @Roger's favorite boat to drive and he can attest to it's abilities. He's got end course to back it up!

As for skiing, it's as good as any boat and probably has an edge with the longer lines/slower skiers. In general, I don't recall a time in the past where all the boats have been as good as they are now...it really comes down to personal preference.

Agreed the SN 196 was an incredible boat and one of my favorites, but the wakes and pull are not up to the level of a properly tuned CP in my opinion.

• Baller

I'm one of those guys that looks for the place on the curve where it takes a lot more dollars to get only a little better...and buy right there. Cars, boats, work projects...regardless I love that value proposition spot...hence my bubble butt Nautique.

Right now I would say the late model 196 with ZO is that boat. Depreciated enough, very high quality, outstanding performance within a whisker of anything new.

For new buyers considering a CP...wouldn't worry my '91 Centurion is holding up just fine. CP looks like a cool boat.

• Baller
Well, since @santangelo mentioned me, I suppose I should chime in. He is right, I love driving the CP (and skiing behind it)! The boat is equally at home pulling long line slow speed skiers or ultra short line Open skiers. I pulled Nick Parsons to 3@41 (matching his PB) with Santangelo's CP in one of our Record tournaments, so I know it can be put down the middle with a skier with some leveraging power. I have no idea how to convert one of our end course videos for upload, but there is a great end course video of Nate running 41 behind a CP floating around on youtube. So yeah, I like them...