Gripping issues

coxjon

Ive had a real issue in the last couple of weeks that following my first set, I just dont have any strength or grip left in my hands/fingers to get out of the water for my first pass of the second set. To the point yesterday, I had 3 attempts couldn't get out of the water, so left it there.

Really annoying and a waste of a set! any one else had the same problem and know how to get round it?

• Supporting Member

More details might help. Did you have any sudden failure of grip? Those can stress the hell out of the forearms and leave your grip weak for weeks.

Old gloves? Old handle? Handle diameter that doesn't suit you?

Do you type for a living? RSI can affect many of the same muscles that grip. Changing your office setup is the biggest hammer for this, but a good massage therapist can also work wonders, working the entire chain from neck to hand.

good questions @Than_Bogan we did a full weeks skiing in the US then came back with probably sore tendons in the forearms, so could be recoving from that.

Im on boa gloves, not to old and a new 1inch masterline handle which is perfect for my normal grip.

I do type alot with wrists on the desk, so another great point!

• Baller

As a quick fix, try some surf wax on your gloves and handle. It makes things a bit sticky so you tend to relax your hands and just ski. Cheap, easy and a great confidence builder.

Of course, I use a Goode vest with the grips so I don't use much strength getting up. Another possibility if you have real issues. Technology is great.

Eric

• Baller

+1 to @Than_Bogan remark.

Unusual shock stress may destroy force of grip for days.

It may happen when water start goes wrong for any reason but skier wants to start anyway applying enormous force to hang on handle

Forearm is a set of relatively thin (low volume) muscles, they do not have "power reserve" and need more time to recover comparing to bigger/thicker muscles.

Clincher type gloves probably No1 solution for recovery time.

• Baller
Simple fix, hook the handle with your fingers, just like a rock climber, just as strong as gripping the handle, if you ski like this, it also prevents you pulling on your arms (because you cannot when you hook the handle) you will never suffer from forearm problems if you use this method, especially for deep water starts

• Baller

@DaveLemons That's something that I've heard/read also but in practice, I found I felt less secure getting up that way than my normal "baseball" grip. Reason being is you feel like the handle is rolling out of your hands if they're both on the same side whereas there's no roll or twist to the handle if you have your hands opposite. For me personally, double overhand resulted in me using more of a death grip.

Think it's one of those YMMV things.