Golfers Elbow

Wish

• Baller_

So I'm sitting here with a case of this (left are RFF skier). Obviously we take hits (small at the least) all the time. To mitigate this we need a stretchy rope..obviously.. bad idea. Some ropes with age even get stiffer..or so I am told. What if there could be something in the pylon itself to mitigate by giving some kind of fixed give. Adjustable to skiers liking or weight or load variable read through the mechanism itself. Probably would not need to be much. Just enough to take off the initial hit to joints..soften the blow. Not that we need added expense to the boats but... All prob panda worthy I'm sure.. just thinkn out loud.

But will accept any solutions for current issue..stretch, exercise, brace or whatever. Getting hard to do some lifting things.

edt58r2kph77.gif

• Supporting Member

My gotos for all forms of tendonitis are Graston technique (hurts like a mother) and deep tissue massage (hurts like a mother).

The pylon does give, of course; I assume you are wondering about more give. But I'm not following why more give there would be beneficial compared to rope stretch.

• Baller

A bent handle reduced my elbow issues. Just one hard set on a straight handle gives it a twinge.

Stretchy ropes just add a variable. Same energy gets transferred - maybe spread out but it will have to have a longer duration. Not sure any real benefit. Golfers elbow is not like ripping the bumper off a stuck car.

Goode vest can transfer the load to a nylon strap. I haven't had any elbow issues since I have been using it. But I'm not skiing anywhere near the level before I needed it.

Good luck,

Eric

• Baller

+1 for Graston technique and yes it hurts. I'm working though this year's Golfers elbow round. Last year it was much worse. I tried lots of solutions with little help. It was clear that the only real solution was taking a long break. Nope. Can't and won't do that. So, I tried Graston last year. Within 3 treatments the pain was gone! Terribly invasive and comes with bruising. Below is the marks from a recent "light" session.

iadq8yo8t1qs.jpg

• Baller_
I use a Masterline bent handle already...check. Still considering the grip switch unless it has not worked for some folks. Flexbar I will looke into. Keep the suggestions coming. I am sure there are others with this issue. And much thanks so far.

• Baller
I switched to a 1.183 diameter handle several years ago. I was skiing at Chet Raley's and he liked the large handle for elbow pain. I switched and have had no trouble since. Last year I forgot my handled one day, I took one set on my partners small handle and my elbow hurt for the rest of the summer.

• Baller

1# Goal is address the cause via stretching the flexor musculature of your forearm which is pulling on the tendon which does not stretch. Tendons are like ropes and when a tight forearm flexor pulls on it for a long period the 'itis' in lateral epicondyle 'itis' occurs.

1) Ice

2) Restore elasticity of forearm musculature via stretching.

Once the pain is reduced you can think about all the other advice.

My clinical 2 cents!

• Baller
@Wish I tried switching grip last year and turned out to be mistake for me. Because tendons and muscles were not accustomed to the pull and I was in mid season shape (so I was skiing into shorter line), I ended up damaging a nerve in one arm which knocked me out of skiing for 8 months. (there is no quick fix for nerve damage and it hurts.) I have continued to use the Flexbar, in and out of season, which works nicely for me.

• Baller

Just FYI - Grayston will help work out the knots and scar tissue in the muscles which are not fully flexing. It is just more invasive and quicker. My PT visit goes like this:

Grayston work, then active release and assisted stretching, then ice. Then that night, rolling and stretching.

Once the flexibility is back, then flexibar for strength and retaining mobility.

• Baller
Also, my PT discovered that in addition to the flexor/forearm muscles, I had a really, really tight/knotted tricep. It has a tendon that attaches near the same area. Last year, my pain was more from the tricep tendon than the fore arm tendons. Just something extra to take a look at when trying to find the source of the pain.

• Baller

what's been working for me this year has been a combination of icing, massage, stretching, and Aleve when I've had a flare up. For prevention, stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Stretch between passes when you're a driver or observer. Stretch between passes when you're the skier. Stretch on the platform before dropping in. It doesn't take long.

My favorite is the halt stretch. Similar to what's in the video above. Hold your palm out like you're directing traffic, arm straight. Grab fingertips with other arm and pull back gently at first, progressively more. Repeat in the downward position, then switch arms.

Also helps if you do a good bit of bicep, trap, and lat stretches before going out too. At least it does for me. Anything that gets loaded when you take a bit of a hit helps. Just like it helps having a springy pylon and newer rope, it helps if all your muscle groups are loose and warm, not just the forearms.

• Baller
I'm at work right now trying to work the soreness out of both elbows. RFF, so the top of my right elbow/bottom of my left. This has, just in the last couple of weeks, started bothering me. So odd "matter of fact" that this thread started yesterday. Icing, messaging and stretching for treatment. Gonna try a thicker diameter and curved handle. Thanks

• Baller
Tried lots of stuff, eventually grabbed the orthopedic surgeon in the hallway and said look man, I need a corticosteroid injection in my elbow and he obliged. Note this was post ski season so a lot less abuse for a while as well. During the season I just dealt with it no real good solution.

• Baller
My number 1 is magnesium supplements. Why - because as we age stuff does not stretch as well. Tight muscles = problems with tendons so your body needs all the help it can get from a nutritional standpoint. Things we consume daily (like coffee) can inhibit magnesium absorption so its worth looking into and testing. And not all magnesium is the same, Swisse Ultiboost Magnesium works for me (magnesium carbonate) but I do switch around and use a magnesium citrate from time to time. I also use a vice glove on my right hand and curved handle but in my case the root cause is / was stupidly tight muscles. These days even skiing cold winter water I have zero issues.

• Baller

The problem is not with the elbow - that is just where the pain is referred to...the area that needs treating is the upper rear area around the arm/ shoulder..makes sense when you think that waterskiing is all about the part of the body....

Get a lacross ball, place it on the wall and press/ roll your upper rear arm/ lats area against it...you will find some horrible 'trigger' points in there that will hurt like f@@k...they shouldn't be there....when you find one, press and hold until it releases - about 40-60 secs...repeat until they have all gone...

Runners knee is the same problem....too many look to treat the outside of the knee, the problem is in your hips - too tight, especially the IT band...

Stay away from steroid injections.....

Take a look at Kelly Starrett:

Banded distraction, voodoo flossing etc etc..

• Baller

Sitting here and looking for a new handle and beaucuse my golfers elbow I decided to go for a radius one and thicker diameter than before, my question is how many sizes can be ok to go before you loses the "feeling".

The handle I have for now is a worn out 1.0" Masterline Carbon custom....

• Baller

@Wish had a servere bout of medial epicondylitis a few years back. #1 cure I found in here and experienced, was stopping what was giving me the pain in the first place which was taking hits from the boat at a short line with my hands and forearms in close to my body to absorb slack line.

So,...

I got a bent handle, this helped a lot

I got a thicker handle, this helped a bit

I gave it some rest, this helped the most, but was the most frustrating

I got a cortisone injection, painful as hell and helped only a bit.

I changed my technique so as to not take hits from the boat caused by slack line: Huge improvement.

Check your technique, (brave of me to say skiing at -35off to a guy that runs -38!)

@cragginshred can chime in here, but if I recall, its the hits with grip flexed, that causes this condition and pain.

Best of luck, try everything and stay away from slack line.

GW

• Baller_
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I changed my deep water start to be both palms down. I then switch my palm up hand after planing. I believe that most who experience this probably have it on their palm up arm. My frequency and intensity of this problem decreased dramatically after making that change.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Me and Carlo Allais have been suffering from this for a few years, although at different degrees. He managed to learn how to ski reverse grip and pretty much skis the same scores right palm up (he's RFF). However, he switches only when the pain is interfering with his skiing. Luckily for me, I never got to that point. In any case, here are the few things I have been doing consistently that have been helping me ski without pain. (Disclaimer: ski without pain, not be pain-free).

for those of you that know me, I wear these a lot! During ski season, I try to wear them at least twice a day for 1hr, possibly after I am done with sets, but also in the morning. Look on the 2xu official website for better sizing and then go back on Amazon and check the colors. My last pair was pink for $14.99 (poor college student)

People underestimate the toll that multiple deepwater starts have on the body. Just start off the water with a reverse grip and allow your painful elbow a bit of rest.

Bent handles are great. I personally never had to go that route, but I know Carlo uses them regularly. I am pretty sure he bents his own, but I know some brands now have bent handles. A friend of mine has started being them differently, so the vertex points downward, as opposed to outward (towards you). Essentially, if you look at the handle, you would see a V.

I also found that having two handle diameters you are comfortable with and switching often helps a lot. Personally, I use a 1.068 and a 1.03.

stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

Tried the both palms in same direction starts a few times last year but found that to haul my big as$ out of the water, I was actually having to squeeze the handle harder that way since it'd roll a bit.

Haven't skied in two months and elbows feel great now, but all it takes is a trip to the gym with lots of lifting/pulling and it'll be flared right up. Such a nuisance injury...

• Baller

For me a few things. Most importantly for many of us we probably sit at a computer more than we'd like.. stretching and mixing things up at the desk/keyboard/mouse will help. I go left hand mouse often and I'm RH

-Both palms down at start and finish of pass

-bent handle

-no slack hits!!!

-stretch

• Baller

I know this was a slightly older thread that got revived but I skied all of last year and a half pain free. I've been skiing harder and taking more slack hits than I had in previous years too. When I'm not skiing in the winter I'm mountain biking which aggravates my elbow just as much. I typically ski open water 2-3 days a week and the course 2 days a week with usually 2 sets each day.

What I did to fix the issue:

1. Tried the flexbar....maybe it helped but I never really noticed a change.

2. I thought a radius handle was the solution but it didn't do much. If anything just switching back and forth between radius and straight changes how you pull ever so slightly.

3. If you haven't changed your rope recently or you can't remember when you changed it last....do it now! If we've been using a rope too long, my elbow pains will come back.

4. Arms straight!!!! This was probably the biggest thing! This means your pull through the wake and just riding behind the boat and wiping the water off your face. I did it a lot going through the wake because it feels more defensive. Trust your ability and the boat and straighten your arms out. Also, when I wipe my face after getting up, I noticed that I would bend my elbow slightly which would cause extreme pain. I now mentally ensure my arm is completely straight.