Release System

Alex2016

Hello,

this is Alex. I know this topic is probably very old or has been already discussed a few times.

I started to go into the course with 55 km/h.

I am skiing a HO CX Superlite with two

Radar Vector Bindings. 10 weeks ago

I had a really bad front fall after the second wake and both my feet were stuck in the binding half way out. Result:

I broke four bones in my right foot, surgery

13 screws and now start to learn walking again. I am keen to go back asap but with that experience I don't want to use the Vector again. I prefer a tight boot because of the control. I am thinking about change to

Reflex Supershell with R type rear or to

OB4 System. Both systems look very impressive. The Reflex is proofed many times, but the OB4 seems to have more ways to release. About the OB4 I heard some rumours that the company has been sold.?.? What are your recommendations or suggestions.

Thank you

• Baller

There was a split between the developer and OB4. So thus the Mike overall binding system. I like some of his new ideas. I previous used D3 Tfactor and like them but my ankles were sore the hole season.

I've been on the Reflex since last September and skied all winter and had one front ankle very slight sprain that was fine in a few days and one time foot didn't come out of the R-style and it twist my leg and ankle a little. I heard of some folks using the lacing on the R-style, been thinking about trying it.

• Baller
I went from double boot to the R-style. 1st few passes felt pretty strange. Heel is freer to move up than the rear boot. I have a long flat foot and my foot feels fairly secure after the initial getting used to it. My partner has a wide foot with a high arches. He never felt secure and ended up going to a rear toe plate.

• Baller
Tonight, I went out on my 32 and it was a good pass. I was early and in control. Came out of 5 ball and just turned too hard, lean locked and OTF. I have never taken a harder crash in my life, had the reflex not released I would be in the hospital right now there is no doubt in my mind. So, based on that I cannot reccomend reflex enough because I am able to ski the rest of the season.

• Baller
I ski occasionally with a guy who has replaced his R-Stupe buckles with elastic laces and really likes it. I ski Reflex with R-Stule and have never had issues with release. Heel support is good. My slalom binding release is much lighter than I'd set it for tricks, but it has never pre-released on me. I'm certainly not at the level of most of the skiers here, but am a big fan of Reflex.

• Baller

@Alex2016 so sorry to hear about your injury. The Radar boots are a great product, but like you many people like a very tight fit that inhibits proper release. The R style rear, the Radar HRT or the HO ChopTop all allow your back foot to pull out in a fall. That leaves you with a choice for the front between the Reflex release that only releases in one direction and the MOB release that releases all directions. The Reflex style release will work sufficiently in most falls, but in those twisting, sideways falls the MOB will always release before injury.

As for proving itself, I have skied for over twenty years with the MOB style release with no injury and performances into -39 off.

If you like the Radar style boot, you can adapt that boot to the MOB release system and have a predictable release every time. For the safest release, use the MOB release with whichever boot you prefer and one of the half boot rear style options. I will be glad to discuss any questions you have with you to help in your decision.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

I was in the same situation 2 years ago - I went with the OB4 front binding only. I'm not a short line skier and really wanted safety first - more release options with OB4 so I went that way. It took me ages to get use to the hardshell but it was well worthwhile - I'm back skiing better than before and have had it release really well. The only thing is that it pre released on me in a comp - I didn't check my settings and it had somehow changed?? (that was over 9 months of use). Really important to spend the time first up getting your settings right and writing them down so you can check them every so often. MOB realease is the same design - @mmosley899 knows his stuff and helped me out heaps!! go with him!!

• Baller
mmosley899, this is a little off-topic, but I'm a bit unclear on the how the release of your single-boot system works from the rear- it and the OB4 always looked like a solid interface at the rear, so I'm obviously missing something. Can you explain?

• Supporting Member
@Nando That's the genius of Mike's approach: There's a ramp on the back of the boot plate (or front when considering the rear boot) such that force in the upward direction is converted to force in the forward direction and thus pushes against that same spring in the front.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan a good description of how the wedge creates forward pressure on the spring in an otf fall, but not my genius, @Deanoski developed the original version of this release system. @Greg Lukin try a little loctite on the screw to prevent the tension from accidently changing. The new MOB tension adjustment has a locking mechanism and easier to read settings.

zbi81rp54df1.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller