Is my ski delaminating?

Ilivetoski

• Baller
I have a 16 VTR that has a few spots on the bottom that are becoming discolored, turning white and when I look at it very closely it looks like it MIGHT be separating. It's straight on the bottom where it has "syndicate" and I just noticed today on the tail.

• Baller

Nothing to worry about here. This is somewhat inherent to the carbon speed skin material we use. Carbon speed skin isn't flat. It is actual woven carbon bonded to a solid TPU backing material. It's pretty cool stuff actually.

The fin slot is cut into ski therefore humidity can get into the carbon's low pockets. No harm, no delam, just breathing really. I've had it happen to mine if I leave the ski in the bag or in a neo sleeve without first airing it out.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller_
My 9500 would get a milky white color over a portion of the bottom. It was from putting the ski in the case when wet. If the ski and case are dry when putting the ski away, no issue.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

would @Ilivetoski forgive me for invading to his thread? <3

@wtrskior the whole story developed on the eyes of 10 people from France, UK, Russia etc.

Two persons were in the boat. Brand new ski.

No extra flex, no impact, no floating object, no nothing.

Jumped from the boat with normal ski, went to the dock with this.

Used normal expensive HQ rope (LFF)

The ski was transported in the Sportube locked 2" longer than the ski lenght.

• Baller

@Ilivetoski That ski is shot. Send it to me to dispose of it properly.

@OldboyII European trash laws are very strict. Better send it to me also.

Can't you find JB Weld over there? Something dinged that ski. It appears to be in a structurally non critical area so a quality repair will leave you with a workable ski. There is some delamination but I've fixed worse. Of course, a new ski would be nicer...

Eric

• Baller

Something tells me when you know price for delivery to US from here ($700) you will be less enthusiastic :D

@eleeski we have JB Weld here. Though we used another good epoxy for repair.

We filed it with epoxy, pressed it with vacuum bag, skied few times to see how it works. After we let it dry (just in case) for 20 days.

Today we covered area with patch of thin carbon cloth.

Will remove bandage tomorrow to polish and see.

Then 2nd part of project starts - at the end it going to be another NONAME ski (not Goode any longer) because it makes me sad on water start to see it in front of me :#

Will make another thread when all will finish.

In fact when manufacturer refused to discuss warranty options I got HO SL CX (thanks to @perfski ) and happy with this ski.

Added: when ski arrived there were some ... kind of swellings on the tip area.. think something went wrong on the factory ... ski made too simple: without any safety margin

• Baller

@OldboyII yes heat gun works, what happened to your XT is not uncommon, I have repair more than few Goode skis with the same issue and I think that you can call this a de lamination, but the ski remains structurally solid.

Your repair sounds very sophisticated, it must be a very good repair.

I use JB Weld or similar 302 modified acrylate or car body putty., sand it and spray it with the same color and the ski looks and ski like new.

If the de lamination or scratch or ding happens to a vinil finished ski, the repair will always be visible whereas with Goode skis the end result can be as good as new.

• Baller

@skialex thanks, I will ask you for consultation about colors No's and recommendations for paints.

It is nice to have little workshop break from office routine.

The thing which is not nice is an manufacturer attitude to customer(s) who pays for that kind of ski. It is a small world and do work counter productive at such market.

Ski is on warranty, case is obvious, bottom surface and all borders are intact fresh like baby skin. the only question was to look dipper into question an all photos and let me save $700 for one way shipping by sending new ski w/o fin block. I offered to cut tip of the ski and send by regular mail for evaluation. Answer - No.

• Baller
@OldboyII wow great job, better than factory repair! The spray that you need to buy for the XT is: SEM Classic Coat Midnight black 17013. This is the matching color for the N1, XT and the bottom of Rev6. For the Rev's top and any other ski the matching color is Classic Coat Bla

• Baller
@OldboyII it would be better to use a primer. I don't always use primer, but your finish looks very slicky and you might need to sand it first. A Filler speay instead of primer might give you a better surface, wet sand it and spray it directly.

• Baller

If you are going for a complete repaint, use a white paint. A few minutes in the sun and your black ski will hit 75C (170F). Hot enough to deform a room temperature epoxy. Your repair should be white. Skis really should be white anyhow for those times it gets left in the sun by mistake. I use primer white so it doesn't give too slick a finish. It is easy to sand in a desired texture (I like 40 grit on my slalom). Of course the primer is not super hard so the texture doesn't last - but it's easy to redo. A gloss surface might not be best - be willing to use some sandpaper no matter what finish you use.

Eric