Old Ski Slalom Challenge

dchristman

• Baller

This past Sunday I didn't have the urge to ski seriously so I got out an old EP Comp CR1 with the Comfort Grip binding and rear toe to see what I could do on it. My current skill level on a modern ski gets me though 6@34/28off on occasion. Several passes on the EP and the best I could muster was 4@30/15off.

Back it the era of that EP- early 80's, my best was 6@36/LL on an earlier version of the EP Comp 1, and I think that was with the adjustable binding. I can't imagine doing that again! It makes me wonder - did I improve at all over the last 35 years? My next step will be to put the Reflex binder on the EP and see what I can do.

In this thread @ski6jones declared that "TW could run -39 on that. No problem.", and it is oft repeated here that "so-and-so could run 38/39/41 on a 2x4". I'm not asking for a 2x4 - how about just a really old ski? Maybe @twhisper ought to buy that ski and see what he can do on it.

Pull out an oldie but goodie and see what you can do and report back. Have fun and take video! ... don't hurt yourself!

• Baller

I have a Connelly HP from the early 80s vintage in my shed. It does have a high wrap with a RTP so I think the bindings would be ok. I think I was running 28 off at 36 mph back then. Given all my body pains I don't think i am going to try though.

I also have a 70s vintage Stinger with a Maja fixed binding and RTP.

• Baller

We've discussed the idea of having an "old school" tournament with old boats & skis at the end of the summer. Would be really fun to do a two or three round tournament and mix up new and old technology to see how scores fluctuate.

Round 1 - Old Boat & Old ski

Round 2 - Old Boat & New ski

Round 3 - New Boat & Old ski

• Baller

@skibrain agreed. The ski actually felt better than I expected it to. I put the Reflex on a Saucier trick a couple years ago. I'm going to try it on a few other old trick skis and see what I can do.

I do believe there may be something to be learned by using the old binding, though. With the low EP binding I needed extreme patience on my onside (little toe :smile: ) turn ... otherwise I would fall over because I had no leverage to get the ski on edge early, if that makes sense.

I can't wait to try this again. It's fun re-experiencing the early learning curve.

@aupatking and I have been trying to figure how to do something similar since he forced me to learn to slalom last summer. I like the three rounds mixed idea. @aupatking you should post pics of the mullet and the rules of the mullet challenge. Also, we should ski behind Ian's 2001 for Old boat rounds.

• Baller

Thought about mounting my Radar sequence plate and Strada boots on my Mastercraft LaPoint asymetrical ski. Could be fun...

Would have no clue where to mount boots, or any fin settings. But, didn't know any of this back in the day either. Just out of the box and onto the river.

• Baller
We had an interclub fun tournament this past Saturday and threw in a 3rd round for anyone that wanted to try and use an old ski. We had an older (80's era) Kidder with some decent KD bindings (mid-late 90s) . Only a few of us skied but it was quite fun and would be a lot of fun to try it more often. I skied 28 mph and got 2 @-32. I think with a few practice sets I could get some shots at -35.

• Baller

We've had a Wizard ash wood slalom (most likely of 1950's vintage) in the barn at our camp in Vermont that's been challenging me to give it a ride for all my life. This year I gave it a go, and boy has this industry come far. The ski has 90 degree edges all around and a flat bottom, save a few carriage bolts that hold the bindings on. Before I actually rode it I considered trying the course at LL and the slowest speed I could stay up at, but then I got up and discovered just how much drag and resistance to turning it had. First ski I've ever ridden that pulled me onto my front foot. Gave me a whole lot more appreciation for what I ride today (Goode 9700) and even the 70's Ski Tech combo's, O'Brien World Team, and various EP's that I learned on.6lumnc6ra6b7.jpg