Malibu Open Waterski Championship Returns for 2016!

Horton

• Administrators

Loudon, Tenn. | June 23, 2016 - The Malibu Open Waterski Championship will return to Milwaukee’s lakefront Veteran’s Park Lagoon August 19 and 20, where the world’s top professional and junior athletes will compete in traditional slalom and long-distance jumping divisions. This exciting two-day event is free and open to the public, attracting athletes and spectators from across the globe.

The Malibu Open Championship is set against the backdrop of beautiful Milwaukee’s skyline for the seventh consecutive year. It is the perfect venue for spectators, families and friends to witness and interact with the world’s best ski athletes. The athletes in attendance will compete for cash prizes and elite world rankings in slalom and/or jump divisions.

Athletes in the slalom division travel through a six-buoy course at a constant speed of 36 miles per hour with an initial rope length of 43 feet. After completing each pass the rope length is shortened, increasing intensity and difficulty. The athlete who rounds the most buoys with the shortest rope length, wins.

Skiers dart towards a 6-foot high ramp in the long-distance jumping division, reaching speeds of 70 miles per hour as they take flight for distances over 200 feet. Each athlete gets three opportunities to jump the ramp, and ultimately, whoever travels the farthest, wins.

The Malibu Open event is produced by the Pro Ski Tour, sponsored by Malibu Boats and free for all to come & enjoy. Concessions and parking will be organized by the Milwaukee County Parks Department.

• Baller

Saturday's not looking so hot. Friday looks really hot. It's muggy today. Just got off the lake an hour ago and didn't stop sweating for 20 minutes.

@bojans don't sweat the news. As others have said, that's far away from the lakefront. It's like Chicago. The riff raff pretty much stays in tiny pockets of the city. You can go two blocks from the hood and be in areas of beautiful 4k sq ft suburban homes in parts of Milwaukee.

• Baller_
I heard the announcer say they were taking the top 16 and that anything more than 3@39 was in for sure. That is what Will got and it looked like he stood up after he got it. Just enough. Must not have wanted any seeding consideration.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

First round this year was sortof a dud compared to last year where we had a couple guys deep into or through 41. Didn't see Nate but wasn't looking for him either. Was a bit surprised to see CP drove himself up from FL for it. Wish he was skiing in it.

Day started pretty crappy, ended pretty steamy.

• Baller

A couple of observations.

Experience matters. At Nationals a friend and I were talking about the Malibu being pretty open for the taking on the men's side with Nate and Freddie out. In the end Benji did great getting to the final, but the other guys were all veterans. A bit the same on the women's side with Breanne getting in, but otherwise it was the normal crew with Clem getting back in the mix which was nice to see.

The sponsors should be happy. I saw a lot of shots of Dave walking around taking pictures and putting up Goode banners. Both winners were on Goodes. Also, unless something has changed, I believe TGas and Regina are both Malibu skiers....

There are some great young men's skiers coming up. Obviously Benji (A former Ragin' Cajun I might add) skied awesome, but I was also really impressed by some other guys I hadn't seen much. Tibault Deland (sp) looked calm and solid. As lefty I really enjoyed watching him and will look for him more in the future.

• Baller
I was standing right next to Spencer for the finals. We had incredible lighting once the sun cracked through in the afternoon. I took a quick look at the shots I took this morning and they are absolutely sick. I'll try to post them tonight. I have the sequence of shots before that one for JT's gate, where you can see the flock of geese panic with the incoming boat. Big smile on the driver's face, too!

• Baller

The light was so good for taking ski pics that you almost could not take a bad picture (though I managed to here and there). I ended up taking over 500. They are all viewable here. These are just straight JPEGs out of the camera taken while trying to watch our kids at the same time. They could easily be cropped like crazy if needed, they are 20MP each in full res. I have no time to edit all of these: Malibu 2016 Album

Couple highlights:

28548060733_5b33215545_z.jpg

29133568326_6b30a0cd2f_z.jpg

28545235244_b467bcf796_z.jpg

29061186222_9f8448a127_z.jpg

29166904135_9099f9700a_z.jpg

29166898935_0ae623b841_z.jpg

29133535796_d3596b3a37_z.jpg

29061156682_fd312c8787_z.jpg