1997 PCM GT 40 bobtail engine for sale

SkiKolb

• Baller

Would have converted years ago if I lived near Jody. Big hassle and expense getting it down there to him. When discussing it at a tourney he told me what a GT40 was worth and he could sell it after the conversion.

AT this point, as the value continues to fall faster in the TSC3 market than the bubble butt I'm holding.

• Baller_

A bit of back ground info about re-powering. As time goes by so does the technology. The marineizers are now into the LS family of engines and the small block Chevy is fast coming to an end. Like the Ford in the past these marinizer's are obsoleting the small block and in the real near future a new complete NON Catalytic re-power engine will be unavailable. Currently by law we are not to repower anything older then 1988 and that number will change every year.

GT-40 engines are worth what one can get for them. I part them out as a good 300-M ECM is worth about $500-$700, Hot rodder's like the 351w for rebuild and the fact it is an obsolete commodity $300-$750. The exhaust manifolds & risers half of new $500. Marine oil pans are NLA for the ford and a welded up fabed pan is $350 so the pull off oil pan can be worth $200. Also many do not know that Volvo marine used the exact EFI component's as PCM so there is a used market there.

One other thing to consider each and every year the engine company's hike their prices 3-7%.

• Baller
We sold our GT-40 with 1700hrs for $2500 1 1/2 yrs ago, and could have gotten more. We had it sold contingent on a good compression test when another buyer demanded to buy it for $3000. Motor passed compression test so we sold it to the first guy.

• Baller
OK, I gotta ask - why? Why are people willing to pay that kind of money for an old 351W when you can buy a rebuilt long block with GT40 heads on it for $2900? Some kind of Nautique induced dementia? Unless you find some hillbilly with a mullet and a Bronco you can hardly give away a 351W in the automotive world. (Lets count the dislikes)

• Baller_

@oldjeep, simple - its the marinization components. If you bought a 351 long block from your local rebuild shop, you have to swap raw water pump, exhaust, trans cooler, etc. If you do it yourself, maybe not too bad, but if you have to pay someone you're looking at 10-20 hrs labor at shop rates. Oh yeah, then there's the motor mounts. Try adding ski boat motor mounts to an auto engine if you haven't done that before. A GT-40 out of a ski boat, it will drop right into another one with relative ease.

FWIW, I sold mine for $1500 and the buyer paid shipping, which wasn't cheap. We both got a good deal.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@wtrskior Every new complete Non cat engine I buy must be accompanied with an affidavit of installation signed and returned back to pleasure craft marine group.

It asks serial # of vessel it was installed in and what happened to the engine that came out , (Did I scrap it?). As per law these engine's are not to be installed in anything older then 1988. We all can thank our government for this..

• Baller

@Jody_Seal excuse my skepticism but can you provide a link to those requirements?

The EPA regs I've researched in the past only indicate that you can't install aftermarket catalytic converters on these boats. Most 1988 boats would be straight pipes anyways; just repower to OEM.

Frankly I don't really see an issue as the old boats are pretty simple. short and long blocks are readily available from the aftermarket, as are trannys and holley carbs, all at very reasonable prices. The rest of the equipment is pretty straight forward as well. I don't easily fall for the fear mongering so you'll have to elaborate..