Video Help

dropski

• Baller

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some feedback on my skiing.

looks fairly typical, 15 off 36 mph. I run this pass about 35% of the time. I thought my one ball was pretty good, just got a bit late down course. I seem to always get on the back of my ski the latter part of the course. I also noticed lately my offside turns have been much better than my onside, I have a tight line and can simply ski right back into my stack position. On my offside however I struggle to keep the line tight so I turn with slack and take a hit upon re connection to handle. I'm 5'10" 182ish skiing on a 67' V Type, which I like when I ski well but struggle to find consistency on. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

• Baller

Two,things jumped out at me. First I would like to see you a little higher on the boat for the gates. Second I would like to see you working longer behind the boat. I think you are letting up behind the boat and wind up not having enough speed to get the width you need so you wind up waiting to turn With the result being that you are down course.

In short higher on the gates and work hard through the white water after the second wake. Your fundamentals look good enough to be running that pass consistently with a couple of tweaks n

• Baller_

Love your gate from the start all the way to the hook up to receive the load.. Would not change a thing including hight on boat. Don't know if you have read GUT article 103

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/228543

But you should. You are doing a great deal of things correct as it relates to this Grand Unified Theory (GUT). Wonderful to see. Great job!!

I do agree with "working" longer. I'll add the specifics with pics of how much below. That means hold only what you have in the pic. Just HOLD. When it's time to stop loading the ski (starting transition to edge change) in that spot, do not stop loading the line with your upper body.

But do stop pressuring the ski with your feet. The edge change will happen..not something you have to do. But keep pressure on the line in the direction you are going until you start to release like you do. Watch the vid and u will see yourself start unloading the pressure against the ski about a half a ski length past the point u are at in the pic..to soon.

I think you really only need to work on what's in the pics. Well, could use a tad more hips up in pics as well but the length of the work zone trumps this.

nju1x8fnz6lg.jpeg

is71aq9vsf4y.jpeg

x1qoxdmub869.jpeg

• Baller
I think you have something going on coming into 1 3 5. I think you're allowing the handle to separate off the wakes and letting go too soon. Try keeping the handle in off the second wake holding on until buoy width. Your getting to the ball and having to make a quick move to counter rotate which is making for a choppy offside turn. I try to smoothly start the upper body rotating off the wakes.

• Baller

@Chef23 @Wish thanks for the feedback. I think I understand what you mean about "keep load thru upper body but stop pressuring your ski". I will work on feeling the pressure thru my ski release in the spots you drew for me.

@gregy I'll try to focus on keeping the handle in headed into offside turn as well. Im using a reflex front and RTP. The front is at 29.5 and rtp is about as close as I can get basically, I think I'll try spacing it out a tad.

It seems like my ski chatters up and down in the tip around the ball and thru turns.

Thanks for the help!

• Baller
@dropski - you are making some nice turns and loading over your feet pretty well (promoting good acceleration), which is the basis for some good skiing, but I also think you should be starting higher up on the boat. With your already good position over your feet you'll generate more speed into the center line where you want it, have better angle outbound, more space, more width, and backside one. Then you're off to the races having established that swing path. 15 36 is a tough pass because you are so far behind the boat on your entire swing. You get less help from the boat and consequently any error gets magnified resulting in a "later and later" path. It's OK to ski 15 off "wide and early".

• Baller

The first thing I thought when I watched it was that it was 22 or even 28 off. Based on your technique you should be able to run that pass consistently, which means doing something simple should get you there.

I really think that you need to back off a little but stay strong and connected to the handle through the back of the boat and out to the buoy line. Try not the think about turning the buoy, but 20' before it. I also think to do that you need to stand taller right from the beginning and fall into a lean instead of trying to pull against the boat and loading more. You are absolute flying into 4 ball, as you say; down course and by that time too late to catch up.

• Baller_

That camera angle and rope length makes him look low on the boat. But in my opinion he is good. If it was a tracker device you would see that better. Plus he or anyone cannot really load until the point pictured below. His turn in is just about perfect to allow that to happen gradually. Even better, he turns in with his COM forward, bringing that glide speed with him and riding a flatter planed ski...more efficient. Any further up in the boat will cause ski to slow before he gets to the hook up. More load, more drag. IMHO.

7ckyruvwz3cm.png

• Baller_
Also, since he will be "holding" that nice form a pinch longer now, it may mess with his timing through the gates. If the general consensus is holding longer, adding a second element of getting higher on the boat would add a variable to which he won't know which made things worse or better.