What will cause your ski season to end

bojans

• Baller

Weather is usually what drives us out, but just to keep pushing the envelope we created a little competition a few years back with some other folks on the river. The semi-annual FiLo Crown is awarded to the last guy/gal on the water in the fall and the first guy/gal out on the water in the spring. Any means of water skiing is allowed and the only rule is no wetsuit or drysuit. Life jacket and swim trunks only. Winner gets a certificate and the fashion rights to wear the great big fuzzy purple crown until the next season. The banter gets better and better the later it gets in the season. Lots of fun. :)

pmbg2utycf4y.jpg

txfducrj0aq2.jpg

• Supporting Member

As a few others have already mentioned, daylight is one of the biggest factors.

When the time change happens, we're done for sure.

But we usually wrap up just a little before that, because once all the leaves go off the trees, the conditions in early November tend to be pretty awful. Sometimes in October we can get great water conditions, so it's worth racing out of work and throwing on the drysuit. But when you add poor water conditions to the freezing temperatures and short days, it's time to pack it in.

Most years we make it to the last weekend before Halloween.

• Baller_
If you have the right gear, it's never too cold. Until the lake freezes. Historically, we ski daily until the Columbus Day tournament at Trophy, then call it a season. A couple weeks will pass by and a nice day comes along and we are back to skiing the nice days at lunch until the lake freezes. Nowadays, Trophy isn't having tournaments and I'm spending winters down south, so after the LaPount Ski Park tournaments October 22 and 23, I ski until I'm too beaten up and then take a month's rest.

Lpskier

• Baller
Darkness- water and air temperatures are a consideration, but up on the tundra the end of the work day will be getting too close to the end of daylight pretty soon, so it'll be the occasional weekday session with a bit of weekend skiing before long.

• Baller_

I'll probably stop mid-October with regular sets. The club boat will be out of the water about then. We can use our own boats, but the shrinking daylight hours eventually make the after-work weeknight sets nearly impossible. Weekends start to fill up with home projects and other stuff.

We will freeze over by late December or early January, but that is not the initial thing that stops us.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
After being out for 11 weeks this year I am trying to extend my season as long as possible. Unfortunately up in Massachusetts that is usually mid October at best. It gets to cold to be fun or productive. Not to mention the glare you get at that time of the fall.

• Baller
Definitely be weather now. 1st time skiing in 7 weeks since I cracked the rib. Was windy, choppy and I skied poorly but the body was fine. Was funny to see everyone in heater shirts and short suits already. Water is a little brisk the first time but refreshing every time after.