Engine Knock

ToddF

today my engine started knocking thought it might be a lifter but I don't think so. I have only pulled one valve cover and that valvetrain seems okay. So my question is what kind of costs should I expect with a replacement engine It is an 04 indmar 350. what about pulling engine and rebuild costs

Thanks

Todd

• Baller

Well. I'd pull the other valve cover and look there too. Fire it up with them off.

Could also be your damper plate breaking.

Rebuilt long block is around $2500 plus shipping from michiganmotorz . Figure another $500-1000 in various small pieces and might as well stuff while it is apart. No idea on labor, free if you DIY.

• Baller
Check compression. I had experience with cross-firing between cylinders twice due to head gasket leak between cylinders on 350's. Both times they presented normal operation until engine started doing some work. Both times at #8 n #6 cylinder. Hope yours is that easy!

• Baller
I'd be surprised if it's the dampener with no noise on the low side. Last February I changed my LH 351 with a reman from Summit. I think I have $3600 in it total and that was with a new dampener and professional install. My carb and dizzy were new less than a year old, manifolds were original and checked good. I'm not familiar with 350's, is it still GM or Vortec design? I'm sure there will be a significant difference in cost. I would verify cost of a new reman and availability, pull the other valve cover and if top end checks out ok and it is in fact on the bottom.... I would run her until she goes. Maybe years from now.