Ski coaching in California

coxjon

We have been travelling to Orlando for the past 4 years from the UK for coaching, but fancied a change for 2017.

I have looked at Sunset but they have changed their offering and don't do a 5/6 day package anymore.

Any one got any suggestions for a weeks coaching?

Thanks in advance.

• Baller

skiliquidzone.com

I tried to schedule something this summer with Terry Winter at Liquid Zone, but after he emailed me saying he was still trying to work out his schedule he never got back to me again. I think there is another coach there that lives in the area and is therefore around more consistently.

I would like to expand your question to ask if anyone has opinions on who are the best coaches in the Sacramento area.

• Administrators

@coxjon I don't run to ski school. If you're driving between LA and San Francisco we are on the way I'll be happy to give you a couple of rides. Besides that I don't know.

I suggest you come to California and just enjoy yourselves. Get your ski coaching somewhere else.

• Members

Interesting that there are no longer any ski schools in CA. 25yrs ago, there were 2 at Shasta (Suyderhoud and somebody else), Willi at Berryessa, Kennelly in Sacramento, and, of course, Hortons. Jack Horton needs to get the old ski school fired back up. Supply and demand. There seems to be a demand but no supply.

I went to the Horton Lakes ski school for a week in 1989 and had a great time. Simon Hill, the Menendez brothers, Rhondi and Jack Hanna were coaching. Simon inspired me to learn the tick tock to the side of the boat after missing a pass. I took more hard falls (edge catch at 45mph) learning to do that than I did in the rest of my slalom career combined.

• Baller

In case people are curious.

The lakes on the far right are Creekside North & South (I Have a place on the top right)

The next 2 lakes to the left are paradise, one is empty in this photo from being redug.

The nest 3 lakes to the left are Ski West Village.

The next one over is Precision AKA BallOfSpray HQ. (Horton's Lake)

The next one over is 7th Heaven.

Next one is Adobe Ski Ranch.

And the last 3 are Ironwood ski Ranch. One is empty.

• Baller

@matthewbrown nope never been, but I'd love to go. If there was a ski school I'll buy a ticket tomorrow. Looks to be about 2hrs from lax and the biggest city in the US in rush hour traffic.

I assume you can ski September to June? Maybe minus January? Orlando is colder and windier isn't it? Cheaper and they have a mouse but socal has a mouse too..

I see @Hortons photos including the "wind" photo he recently posted where there was barely a ripple on the water. We call that "texture" where I'm from.

I count 11 lakes + 2 being dry. please elaborate as to why there is no for profit public skiing there?

Looks like mecca to me. Just My 2 cents

• Baller

@wtrskior the lakes are about 2 hours from LAX. The drive isn't to bad it goes by quick.

Comfortably you can ski from mid March to mid November.

80% of the time the water is glass, it's breezy in the spring mostly.

Almost all of the lakes are owned privately by a number of owners just the way they started out, there is two membership lakes which are ironwood ski ranch. The other paradise lake isn't empty anymore it has water in it.

• Baller

Our skiing conditions in Bako are epic like Cole says from March to November. There

was probably 1-2 weekend days we could not ski this year. The wind storms are usually

short and sweet and do not happen very often. Like John says...its "no wind, very little wind, and on occasion very windy.

• Members
Bako needs the occasional wind to clear the air enough to make it breathable. @skidawg, you should have visited the 2007 (or thereabouts) Regionals at Imperial Lakes. THAT was surface of the sun hot. It made Bako look and feel mild and made me appreciate NorCal, WA, CO and ID regionals.