Reflex 'under heal' pin

gavski

• Baller

Not exactly sure what to call it, but i would like to mount a round machined dowel/ peg onto my binding plate under my heal, with a corresponding drilled out hole in my boot. I am looking to secure my heal laterally in the same position without having to rely on the white plastic 'grub' screws or bondo.

wondering if i can buy the peg/ dowel at a hardware store...

any advice greatly received..

• Baller
I used what I had in my workshop. These are 8/32 round nuts from a Goode power plate and 8/32 countersunk screws through the plate. I wanted to use something larger and only one in the middle but since I couldn't find something closer to what I had in mind, I put two smaller ones.

• Baller

I have a supershell, but i have removed the white horseshoe. I want the boot/ binding system to be a flexible as possible.

I just need the pin to 'locate' the heal of the boot in place...the plastic screws aren't upto the job...

If my ankle wasn't f**ked, i would be on a vapor boot..

• Baller

Biggest single increase in flexibility I've found is to drill a ~1/4-3/8" hole in the shell somewhere below the cuff bolt - just before the middle buckle.

Then slot that up to the instep to make a V to the instep. It lets the cuff move separate from the forefoot - fogman had it. I'd bet you can do oneside not the other.

• Baller

@gavski a friend who skis on a Supershell saw my tweak, removed the two times broken white plastic and made the same tweak as mine. He used two stainless steel self locking 8/32 nuts and trimmed them down so they want be sticking out inside the boot.

You also have to put a 1mm spacer, carbon maybe to compensate for the white plastic's thickness.