Radar Vapor's New Fin on 2017 Pro Build

SkiJay

• Baller

The new Vapor Pro Build has a thinner fin than last year’s Vapor. Yes, it will feel slightly faster than the old fin, but the bigger story is in how nice it makes the ski “feel” overall. The ski feels smoother and more composed than ever, especially in the way the ski finishes turns. And along with this softer feel comes some concrete benefits. The thinner fin allows the ski to roll slightly more without sacrificing how deep the tail rides. More roll leads to more angle, quicker acceleration, and more space in the course. It’s all good.

There is, however, a minor issue with some of the earlier fins released. I say the “earlier” fins because Radar Brand Manager, Brooks Wilson, has assured me that this issue has recently been addressed. Approximately 25% of the early fins have little nibs protruding upwards from the two top landings where the adjustment screws contact the fin within the fin block. These nibs can make getting your fin set to your intended numbers quite challenging. But this is no big deal. Simply file the nibs flat before setting up your ski. They serve no useful purpose.

68q887szjgik.jpg

tsh1mtcvciz9.jpg

The only way to tell if your fin has these nibs is to remove the fin from the fin block. And since you now have the fin out of your ski, inspect the fin’s adjustment screw landings for set screw damage as shown below:

y9xvvqwb94m4.jpg

If your fin has these gouges cut into it by the sharp leading edges of the adjustment screws, you can easily file them out. When filing these adjustment screw landings, however, take care not to cut into the rounded corners with the sharp, square edge of your file. These rounded corners make the fin stronger, protecting it from cracks that will tend to radiate out from sharp corners over time.

These two file-fixes will make it WAY easier to hit your target setup numbers.

• Baller
And while you're at it, pull your set screws out and see if their sharp, if so lightly sand or file the knife edge off so they don't dig in to the fin. Good advice for any fin really, for some reason a lot of stock set screws have a knife edge which causes the damage and makes it really hard to make fin adjustments later on.

• Baller

My 2016 came with the new fin.

It measures the same as the pro build fin.

My guess is that if you have the new fin clamp, it prob has the new fin.

All speculation.

That said my pro build feels just like

My 16 vapor.

Incredible ski!

• Baller
If you have the new fin block, you definitely have the new fin because the old fin is too thick to fit in the new fin block. But you won't know if the new fin has to be de-nibbed until you remove the fin and have a look.

• Baller
The new fin block is tighter than the old one, so while the new fin will fit in the old block, the old fin is too thick to fit properly in the new tighter fin block. I can be forced to fit, but if you do this, be careful not to damage the fin by forcing it to move with the adjustment screws.

• Administrators
@gregy 50/50 chance @OB1is punking you on the .25. You can never tell and he would find it hilarious if everybody started freaking out and trying to find a way to get quarter degree fin settings.

• Baller

A few of the skiers I tune for are pretty ... "intense" shall we say. And when they can't decide between 9½° and 10°, I whip out this little gem, set the wing to 9¾°, and all is right in the universe. I had it machined with ½° on one side and ¼° on the other so it can make any wing angle gauge measure in ¼°, ½°, & ¾° increments.

Personally, I can't feel the difference. But I'm a big believer in the power of the mind, and I've seen this little sliver of aluminum harness that power for good instead of evil.

2wzhgtuzarhd.jpg