Pro Tournaments that Don't Suck?

Horton

• Administrators

I talked to @Chet today and he is talking about a pro event with a very different format. Something like 3 rounds- round one is basically a normal format, round two is a 38 off spin contest and round three everyone goes off the dock at 39. Total winner is the skier who does best in all 3 rounds combined. Mmmm I may have butchered some details but you get the idea.

Why do I love this? Because it is not the same old crap and I trust @Chet to think out the details.

• Administrators

Soo here is the question: Who do you think could run the most 38s in a spin contest? Nate? Regina? Whit? Willie? Freddie? Manon? Some one else? Remember that not only is there no rest but he lake is going to get bumpier after every pass.

To make it worse they have to go out at 39 in the next round....

• Baller

Several years ago, I believe that Jamie Beauchesne won a back-to-back etc. 38 off contest.

Chet has lots of innovative ideas. I'd like to see his left-hand course included in one

round. Or his idea about starting endgates.

He has a nice site with 2 courses that is in a county park and a bit off the beaten track.

• Baller
I think of this if I were skiing a tournament set what would be the 3rd or 4th pass in my set, assuming I was running up the line. To go out cold and try to ski my normal 3rd pass is big and to try to ski multiples of this without stopping is even more huge. For most Open skiers it seems like they normally start at 32, so the 3rd pass would be 38. To ask them to start at 39 might be a stretch, particularly in a spin to win approach, even for the best of the group, so if you are using 39 as the spin to win, probably be a pretty short list of folks willing to attempt this.

• Supporting Member

@Horton If I were a competitor, I'd agree with you: Too random and maybe even an increased risk of injury. As a spectator, however, I think I'd be quite a bit more entertained by 39-spin-to-win. I'm fairly sure somebody would manage several in a row, which would just be an awesome thing to witness. And it would make the pace of the competition be MUCH faster, with a lot of folks ending with a streak of 0.

I'm a little "worried" that one of these insanely talented folks might run 10 -38s in a row, which even though that's utterly ridiculous, would probably get a little boring to watch.

• Administrators

@Than_Bogan part of the idea as I understand it is a endurance contest.

Spin 39s would have far too few skiers get past 3 tries. With a spin 38 followed by a off the dock at 39 round things are VERY different what we normally see. The skier who runs 10 38s will then be hosed for the next round. It is a whole new set of problems.

• Baller

I like the thought of a Left Hand Course Tournament, see how much of a difference it makes for age old who has the advantage LFF or RFF would be interesting to see the change in results.

Also how about a Tournament where entrance gates are not scored, this has been discussed many times

• Baller_

We did pretty much same thing at Swiss in 2007, as has been mentioned.

1st round - I believe the first round was straight up, normal tourney round.

2nd round - 38 spin to win was the 2nd round.... 1 warm up pass down the lake, then straight into it. I don't recall too many folks trying to save themselves for later rounds...I think it was last event of the day.

3rd round - 8 am (or so) the next day, was the cold 39. No warm up, straight into it.

I fell on the 6th 38, at 5 ball....was planning to quit after rounding 6 on that pass. Legs and back were smoked.

I think a 39 spin to win might be better, 10 years later. There's a lot of talent out there, and I think 38 spin to win would go into the double digit passes for a lot of guys (and girls)....could get long and boring. 39, with a quick warm up pass...and I think at least a couple folks run multiples.

Doing all of this the same day?....well, now you're starting to sound like CrossFit...

• Baller
I remain against not scoring gates outside of novice/grass roots. I think skiing a left handed course would be interesting though. I can almost guarantee I would miss my opener. As a RFF skier I benefit from an on side pull for my gate so switching it up to an offside pull would be a big challenge.