D3 arc vs radar pro build

davidslalomskier

• Baller

Hi guys

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet on this forum but was interested in knowing if anyone has tried both the pro build and d3 arc.

I'm currently riding a 2014 quest that took some significant rope damage on my last set of the year and looking for the next step up. From what I can read these two skis seem to be quite popular and would love to know your thoughts on pros and cons.

I currently ski into 35 off at 36mph.

Any feedback would definitely help. Thank you.

• Baller
Razor A68. More successful 38's on that ski than all others combined but I think the Vapor will get me there, too...ran a few nice 38's on the Vapor this season as well as 35 off at 36 mph which I haven't even attempted in years.

• Baller
I believe there are more similarities than differences between the two. If you put a blindfold on, it would be difficult to tell the difference. That said, I've ridden D3's many times over the years and felt my offside turn was marginally more predictable on the D3.

• Baller

Yes...I can obviously run similar scores on the two but main advantage for me is I'm not in the water anymore on my big 2 and 4 ie) slam dunk turning. It's still a big turn over there, but not as often an overturn finishing with unsustainable angle. Given the 67 really rocks at 36 mph I'd like to try a 68 at 34.

My brother @razorskier1 is killing it on his Vapor. Via text messages this is an estimate but I'm gonna say he has run perhaps 15 of his last 20 attempts at 38 off (maybe more I wasn't really counting). That's the best skiing of his life.

• Baller
Very interesting perspectives. I've heard a bit of the same thing... some people saying the D3 has a better offside but that the Radar tends to be easier to get out wide. A friend of mine left a Goode for '16 Vapor and swears by it. I've never complained on a D3 but have found its the 'safe option.' Doesn't do anything bad, predictable and does everything pretty well. Just looking to see if there's a better option out there. If there are other suggestions please feel free!

• Baller

68'' Pro-build arrived today...switched bindings time to rock.

Felt the 67'' was perhaps a little small for me last year at 185 to 190 lbs at 34 mph but was awesome at 36 mph. I'm a "heavy" style skier, though.

Free skied the 67'' a few times post ice out (no buoys yet) and now ready to give the 68'' a rip and have a chance at some springtime buoys in the next few weeks.

Sure is purdy...all metal flake on top, some ram-air nostrils, and coral on the bottom.

• Baller

I'm 200 pounds and ride a 67" Pro Build. I love the ski. I'm not as good as you guys but this ski has taken me places my other ones didn't. I have owned all the Vapors from 14 / 15 / 16 and now this the 17 Pro Build.

I thought about the 68" based on my size but Trent talked me into the 67 and I'm glad I listened :)

• Baller

So how much, value do you put on the ski and how much value do you put on the person riding the ski, there has to be a handful of skis out there, that are world record capable, rolling back the years the world record was, 1@9.75

This was acheived on skis, that were not as technically advanced as the skis available today.

As far as the Quest and Radar Pro are concerned, both are a very good ski.

Then there is the Mental game, if a D3 is good enough for Nate it,s good for me or I have always skied well on a Radar, why change, how many times have you heard people say that there PB was on a certain ski and how great it was.

My PB was scored on a 66" Sixam 2 with a real off the wall fin setting, plus I was way too heavy for the ski size.

I went for the Radar Pro, I guess the success, Shape, PMI Core etc got me, I am still riding the 2015 vapor, taking my Pro build to florida next week, hoping to get it dialled in.

@Horton you got me in the end, will be fitting Mikro -Just on my binding when I arrive, why spend $2000 on a ski and balk at $80 for a piece of kit that could make life a lot easier.