King of Darkness Night Jump Oct 29 Orlando

wtrskior

• Baller_

Respectfully disagree. It's been fun. Slalom and trick were just for entertainment. Both events handicapped. The crowd is big and about 10 food truck. If u feed them they will come. Well done!!!

fnp2aynwq9j5.png

Dash Krueger in the lights. Love it!!

031zxdvx5wuh.png

• Baller
Hats off to those that made this event happen. Great skiing, food, music and a crowd - perfect. I was only able to watch the jump final but was impressed with the webcast and announcing. Nice touch editing in the athlete profile pieces. I hope we see more of this!

• Baller

@Orlando76

It had been probably your "horse crap" comment that earned you the dislikes.

You had been right, the far side of the course had been in pitch darkness, but that slalom event was more a crowd pleaser than anything else. So I thought it was nice - as well as the fantastic tricking of the youngsters!

And keep in mind - KOD was all about jumping.

In our sport there are so few good organized events, that this one definitely stood out!

• Baller

What An amazing event. This was my first night jump and pro event I've ever been to in person. I was lucky enough to be in town when it was going on and super glad I went.

The show was pretty much non stop on the water action from the moment it started.

If this is how people are going to put on events we are in a good place. The crowd was very large too and I'm sure if we get the word out about how great it was, not how you couldn't see the gates for slalom, it would be much much bigger next time.

@Orlando76 negatively is not welcome here and it takes away from what was an amazing event. If your post was constructive criticism perhaps you'd not be getting those dislikes. we don't need this attitude in the sport IMO.

I kept saying I couldn't believe the skiers were able to even turn 1 because of the dark, not "I can't see if they got through thr gates wahhh". I was told by a few people that have been to night jump events in the past that the jump course was illuminated more than usual. It was the king of darkness night jump and only 4 slalom skiers hit the water, one being Karen True love who I think took home some cash. Really great concept to handicap the slalom. It was a pro event not a backyard record. Thank god

• Baller
@Orlando76 The chairs of this event put many hours and money into this event. And then make it free to the public is great for this sport. For somebody like your self to make an asinine comment as you did just shows your ignorance and lack of respect to this sport.

• Baller

Truly a great event in a great venue, with non stop action on the water , plenty of food, drinks and entertaiment for everyone. This was the biggest crowd i have ever seen at a waterski event for many many years, kudos to Steve Garcia and his team for making the event a huge success.

• Baller

I had been contemplating to attend this event for over a month. I'm not a jump fan but to be fair, I have never seen it in person despite the many numerous waterski events I have attended as a spectator and always pulling my wallet out one way or another. At the end of the day it was a water ski event which I didn't want to turn down. When I saw a four man head to head slalom event was to be held it sealed the deal for me.

Being in the event and rental business myself, on the lighting and electrical side, I know what it takes to make this event happen and I am fully aware of the cost. That being said an extra light tree wouldnt have broken the bank, and adjusting a light tree wouldn't have cost more money. I said it was a great event. For me the drawing factor needed improvement which I stated and not to mention the safety concerns to Karen and Thomas. Believe me I saw quite a few areas needing MAJOR improvement that I didn't mention. I spent my money and made my donations to the local high school team in attendance which my wife and I already donate way more to personally than the average person will ever understand as W.O.H.S is our life.

Many times I have opened up myself (publicly and privately) to members on this board visiting Central Florida, offering myself, my boat which is still a solid modern enough platform, offering my skis which these members were interested in trying and travel closer to these skiers despite having perfect public and private courses within sight of my door step. So @dave2ball to say I have a complet lack of respect and am ignorant to this sport could not be any farther from the truth.

Sorry to offend those I have. Thought I would throw some constructive criticism out there.

• Baller

You got a point @Orlando76 !

I was holding my breath when the boat picked up Karen after she fell around two ball in total darkness.

The driver almost backed into her, I don't want to imagine what could have happened if she hadn't been that quick, jumping on the platform!

• Baller_
This is true, safety was a concern and we did see the boat almost back over her in the pitch black. Prob not the best plan but I would say they meant to have all that done in the light of day. Guessing the plan was not to use the lights for that event. The MC they used did not have the same bright LED light bar strapped to the bow like the jump boat did. Even the trickers skied in black at the far end. Prob not the safest either. Perhaps a better choice of words other then horse crap would have been a safety concern. I've put several fall festival events on that have had the exact same items other then the skiing. It does cost a lot but well worth the investment IMHO. I have been critical..in a nice way.. regarding the US Open when it is held in Orlando. If the US Open events had laid out all the extras (costly) that the KOD event put out there they would have not only been a success but would have grown. Instead they followed the same play book yr after yr and the same results of low turn out was evident even with huge advertising on local radio. Have not idea how this was advertised. That was a big crowd last night. And they came to a rather remote sight unlike the US Open in Down Town Orlando. And certainly not all connected to the skiing life style. If the US Open comes back to Orlando my hope would be that the team that put on this event takes the reigns and makes it as big of a success as this event was from a spectators point of view. Well done KOD...well done.

• Baller

Sounds like a great event. I wish I could have watched it. The night jump at Nationals was awesome!

I think our society has become too PC. If we don't like a comment we attack the person and act offended. Orlando76 just posted an opinion. Emails, texts and posts don't convey tone and we don't know him. Are we really upset that he wrote horse crap?

The media does it all the time with their inflammatory headlines. "X blasts Y on Twitter."

Now he may never offer his true opinion again and others will think twice before posting on BOS.

• Baller_
@Dirt agree. But some responsibility has to be placed on the writer of the post. I know there was a land slide of emotional push back when I went off on the lack of class C tournaments in central FL. Looking back at the post I bare the responsibility of inflammatory language along with missing some of the facts as to just how many class Cs there were. My fault for missing that. Ultimately the thread produced great clearifocations and spurred creative tournament style ideas and I think spawned other threads to be created on the topic. So in the end the emotional push back produced some good stuff. I think BOS has its own checks and balances. But ultimately a reread of something one writes before hitting post is best practice as you say...with some numbers put to it ...of human communication, 7% is verbal and 93% is non-verbal. Course that is a much questioned statistic.

• Baller

I don't know that anyone is necessarily put off by the term "horse crap." But in regard to an overall successful event, to use that extreme of an expression about one minor factor is a little extreme. And as much as he has a right to express his opinion, we have just as much right to disagree with his opinion (in fact, the site has conveniently put in "disagree" and "dislike" buttons for our use.) And as much as there are always things to be evaluated in terms of "what can we do better next year," this was an overall GREAT event, not just in itself but for the sport of water skiing as a whole.

Whether there was a lack of planning for the lighting, or scheduling pushed things back to be darker than planned, or whatever.....the majority of the slalom course was lit well enough to see some good skiing (unless you were sitting down at that end,) and the participants certainly had a right to pull out if they felt they were in a dangerous situation. I'm not sure who the real loser was here in this "horse crap" situation.

• Administrators

In regard to @Orlando76’s horse crap comment….

I assume all of you have read the “Death Of BallOfSpray” thread and understand the context of the following “don’t be an A-Hole. Don’t say anything you would not say in person.”

If I had been an organizer of King of Darkness I would be unhappy by what @Orlando76 said. When someone does a lot of work to try to do something good for the sport and then they are criticized for it –it sucks.

All that said @Orlando76 does not seem to normally be divisive in this forum. It is just one comment. You guys have already hashed and rehashed it. I do like that you guys are self-policing but there is no need to blow this out of proportion.

This subject has already taken attention away from what appears to be a very successful event.

• Baller
I have been to several other night jumps. THIS one was one the best I have seen. The food trucks were great and plenty of things for the kids to do as well. There was little down time between events, which kept everyone tied to the water. Hats off to the Garcia's for a job well done.