who sells an offset wrench for changing the shaft and/or coupler ?

RichardDoane

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal : Ah yes, and with that, how long do you see average lifespan for the seals? Curious to compare to my retrofit which completed it's 8th season ~ 400 hours & I don't have the additional water cooling component.

• Baller_

@DW.

I believe all the ski boat manufacture's have moved away from the old style rope packing and into some form or another of a lip type seal. These seals are not of a soft rubber compound such as one would think but rather harder composite so installation procedures must me followed and maintained. Correct propeller shaft coupler alignment is crucial to the longevity of the seal. I have one running behind a 600 HP flat bottom overdriven v-drive spinning shaft RPM's in excess of 8500rpm, been in the boat now for 8 years. On the other side I have seen them fail at 20 hours however when investigating the fail I have found either poor assembly practices or poor alignment from the factory is the culprit.

• Baller_
a bent prop running/vibrating caused the gland nut to come loose, with a new locknut and set screw and it's all good again, that's a 32 MM socket welded to a 7/8 wrench, I should have extended the length a little but it worked out just fine, 450 hours and the 6.0 runs perfect, will have 1000 hours by the beginning of next season

• Baller_

@fu_man,

Probably a few reasons the MFR's have switched.

Now a day's these company's build more V-drives then direct drive's, Ever try and pack a V-drive shaft gland? In a lot of cases very difficult. Demand for easier service is sometimes a driving force so why stock two different apparatuses on the build floor? Also when installed correctly they do not leak like a packing system does and customers demand a dry bilge. The OEM cost of a lip seal device may be less then that of the Brass device.

I have had great success with the XPC system and will continue to utilize them in all my projects and builds.