Changing From LFF to RFF

PT Mike

• Members
This might sound silly, but does anyone know of someone that changed their front foot foward with any success? My rear foot/ankle is toast and just doesn't flex the way it should for slalom, its also incredibly painful. Is this doable or am bring a bit dillusional?

• Baller
I have less then 10% motion in my rear ankle for over 5 years and have put a lift under my back heal and had success. My ankle is so bad that on October 4th I had an ankle fusion. I have not skied on it yet so cant tell you much. But I would lift your rear heal before switching feet.

• Baller
I did. I had skied RFF from age 10 to age 50. I was always a hack though skiing just once or twice a year, and not in the course. I decided to take is seriously just a few years ago. I had run 15 off @ 46K and then had a knee problem that took me out at the end of the season. Spring the next year I went from double boot to RTP and switched feet so I could continue. I was running 49 by the end of the season. In my case though, I always thought I should be LFF so it felt pretty comfortable right off the bat.

I was RFF and wrecked my right ankle in a car accident and then in motocross. Ended up switching my trick to LFF. Tried LFF for slalom, but found RFF more comfortable with most load and flex needed in the rear foot. Definitely try it. If it reduces the pain then the skill and cordination will soon follow.

I personally am a lefty but try to get into the course about once per week RFF. It is ind of scary at the beginning but you get the hang of it in a week or two (with slow boat speeds) and probably start to find it more fun as you "re-teach" yourself the mechanics over the ski. I think it could be really beneficial to you, especially if it is the only way for you to get out and enjoy the sensation of gliding on top of the water again pain-free.

• Baller
For those of you who have been following the elite scene for a while, you may remember Matteo Ianni. The guy was a SENSATION, ten times 3@41 at age 18, won Princes Pro Am age 18… he was going to become huge. Then, age 19, his spinal cord told him to change lifestyle. One of the unspoken slalom tragedies of the last 10 years really. Anyhow, a few years back this insane talent decided to switch his stance in the hopes of being able to ski without pain. Within a month of trying, he was into 35off at 34mph. However, let's not forget that this guy is an INSANE talent :smile:

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Members
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'm thinking this is totally doable, heck I wasn't all that great LFF to begin with:) The one downside If i make the switch is I'll HAVE to turn 5 ball. @Stoner Thanks again for the phone time.