Promo Boat Engine Options

jjackkrash

• Baller

I currently have a 2000 American Skier Volante with Stargazer. Its a decent tugboat, but has a few quirks and is close to needing a new interior (which I kinda like because I don't really have to worry about the kids beating it up).

That said, I am considering upgrading to a 2014-2016ish promo boat. I am a 34 mph course skier who occasionally runs 32 off, but the boat also gets used as a family fun boat. So I need an open bow. Most of the guys in my club have older tugs so I don't have that much personal experience with the newer boats.

Based on reading through stacks of threads, it seems like the consensus is the SN200 and Prostar both probably need the upgraded engine, except that the 2016 direct injection 5.3 SN200 has plenty of power, is this right? How are the TXi's with the 5.7? Still better to get the upgraded engine in the Malibus?

I won't be pulling jumpers, but I also don't want to spend a stack of cash on anything that even resembles a piggy boat or that I have to wind out at high rpm to pull 36 mph skiers. (Although we are pretty close to sea level so altitude isn't an issue.)

Any thoughts on engine options or anything else I need to look for or think about in deciding on a '14-'16 from one of the big three? Any year-specific quirks for a particular boat that I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

• Baller

Consensus on the Prostar seems to be that in the 2014 model some of the 5.7s were slow getting up to speed; but, not all of them.

I the 2015 model and newer there was a transmission change and the smaller engine did fine.

That said, if you can get any of the boats with the optional 6 lite, life will peachy!

• Baller
I have a 2014 TXi, 5.7. Plenty of power for me at 230lbs. I'm about where you are in course, 34 mph, mostly 28/32 off. Put 40-50lbs ballast under the furthest forward bow seat cushion. Shifts CG forward for same tracking as 2015+.

• Baller_
The 5.7 in anything is just fine for slalom, trick and most jumpers. Some may even see it as the best pull. The 200 5.3 or 6.2 is better if you have a short set up, if you ski at altitude or if your ski partner jumps in the 200's. In my opinion, MC is harder to drive well than the other three. I prefer to drive a 200 and to ski behind a Carbon Pro, but a well set up Malibu is also very nice. Personally I would be happy with any one of the latter three, though if I had to pick one I personally would go with a 2000.

Lpskier

• Baller
Thanks for all the input. It seems like a 15 or 16 Txi might be a good value, especially if the new model depresses used prices a bit. There are at least two locally available with a 5.7, although it might be worth it to travel for the bigger engine, you know, just because, :)

• Baller

Anyone know these boats or the seller? They are about 12 hours from me, so I could pick up and return on a weekend.

Link

Does the price seem about right for a 500+hour boat? They seem pretty well optioned and have the bog motor.

Any issues to consider bringing a boat from Canada into the states?

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Baller

@horton, I thought you were against the 5.7 in the 200?

In any event, I found a local sold as new 50 hour 2016 200 OB I am looking hard at with the 5.3DI. Does everyone agree that this is a sufficient engine? I would really like the 6.2, but this boat has everything I want less the big engine.

• Administrators

@jjackkrash if the trick mode thing becomes a real thing all preconceptions about engines may change.

I am beginning to think all engine feel is 50% ZO programing

@jjackkrash Here's a 2016 ProStar with all the options for $53,950. Plenty of power, open bow with full seats and the bow hard cover to make it closed bow. Sexy when you want it to be and family mode when you don't. Pick it up in West Palm and enjoy a warm winter ski vacation before taking it home.

http://www.hustonmastercraft.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=488065&pov=4757232

• Baller

Don't know why MC didn't/doesn't offer a 6 liter engine as the base engine instead of the 5.7 as this motor seems to come into question a lot (on this form) about its ability to produce enough power for the 3300 lb (MC web specs) hull.

Seems like this would end the debate and if you really need a snarling, fire breathing 6.2 it is still available.

• Administrators

@Dacon62 the 5.7 has plenty of power. It has bad rep because with the CC 200 and the current ZO map it seems under powered.

The 5.7 has plenty of power in MC, Boo & CP. The 200 is a high drag hull but I stongly suspect the issue is the ZO map not the actual engine.

• Baller

If anyone believe the 5.7 lacks power for slalom do this test. Turn speed control off, do a little old school manual driving. When it's time to block the skier hammer the throttle all the way down. Ask the skier afterwards if the pull felt weak.

Like @Horton said, any other kind of pull than the above is just ZO programming.

• Administrators

Clarification: i am talking sea level and not a super short lake. I am NOT an engineer and am really just starting to re-understand ZO from a skiers perspective.

With the current ZO what I know for sure is that in the Carbon Pro the 5.7 is great. The 6L is more fun to drive around the island but for the skier it is about the same.

I think the same is true for the ProStar and TXi. I think @Chuck_Dickey's ProStar is a 5.7 and it is one of the best boats i have ever skied behind. I think @bgturf always gets a 5.7 in his TXi and his boats always feel great.

• Baller
@jjackkrash Great looking boot. You will be very happy with that. If I may, would like to know more about the lift system on that dock. And, what is the decking material. May be building a boat house soon, and interested to know more about the one in your pic. Thanks. PM me please if you have info.

• Baller
@jjackrash, @zman, You can also opt for the special mounting fasteners where there are no screws in the top of the deck boards. It's surprising how this changes the look. On composite decking DO NOT cut cost or corners on the supporting floor joist spacing!