Promo Boat Engine Options

jjackkrash

• Baller
All this talk about engines, especially about the 5.3, brings up a problem that I was recently made aware of. I have a 5.3 in my 2007 Chevy Silvarado. It now has only approx 58k miles on it. I've had it since 2009 and 30K miles, changing oil every 3-4K miles. I got so confident in it that I rarely checked the oil. It was never low. At my most recent oil change I discovered the oil level was barely on the stick. Upon research I discovered that is not an uncommon problem with the 5.3. 50-60K and they may suddenly start consuming oil at an alarming rate. Some say this due to the AFM (active fuel management system). Do boats have this? I would assume not. If this is the real culprit in oil consumption, boat owners probably won't have to worry.

• Baller
@LeonL I had the same experience with 2 5.3's in SUV's, as did my brother in his last Tahoe. I have a feeling this won't be an issue in the PCM versions, but I guess time will tell? They don't use AFM in the marinized engines.

• Baller
My brother-in-law's 5.3 engine in his 2007 Tahoe fried at 75K miles, with regular, dealer maintenance. His were almost all highway miles. The dealer said the AFM had problems lubricating the non-firing pistons on highway miles and was a known problem for that year. Chevy replaced the engine out of warranty (he was technically out of time). I was told no AFM on the H5DI, which would have been a deal killer.