trick ski insert repair

Gus

Hi,

I already read some excellent posts about repairing inserts, but I'm not sure how to proceed with my problem. The front-binding left back insert of my quantum dynamic 2015 trick ski was loose, lost the screw and nut. I got a new screw and new insert (and some nuts) and I thought I'd just epoxy the thing (following all the excellent instructions like using the nut and screw to seal the insert, or maybe replace the insert if needed) and I'd be fine, but somehow its always more difficult when you actually have to do it :)

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at:

https://goo.gl/photos/zksAcYNRFpHog8RY7

The insert is deep down the hole. Getting it out seems impossible without making the hole bigger.

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks,

Guus.

I added 2 more pics to the same album: https://goo.gl/photos/zksAcYNRFpHog8RY7

Can't imagine how a dental pick would allow me to screw it out. A screw extractor, I checked some pics of those on google, would't reach the insert without destroying the carbon.

I noticed on the new inserts I purchased, one one side of them, there are some entries for a screw driver, but on the quantum ski, these are not visible on the other inserts that are in the ski.

• Baller

if a screw can be threaded, consider epoxying it in place; maybe it can then back-out the insert, won't hurt to try.

Can also try to use a drill bit just barely greater than the i.d. of the insert being sure that the insert doesn't advance forward. If the bit grabs tightly, reversing it may back out the insert.

Finally, can try advancing drill bit diameters until the insert fragments, being careful not to advance the insert or drill through the bottom laminate sheet. If the insert is brass, should go quickly.

I guess what happened is that when fastening the binding, the screw got stuck in the insert and the entire thing started to rotate and drilled itself deeper into the ski. I'm going to try epoxying a screw to the insert first, see if i can reverse rotate it out. Thanks Gloersen, Thanks all for the advice!

• Baller

Use an ez out thread extractor to grab the insert. Back it out the existing hole. If you need to enlarge the hole, get an oversized insert (Ace hardware carries them 8-32) and make sure you don't go bigger than the new insert.

Epoxy the new insert in place with the screw and locknut technique. Use antisieze to keep the insert good.

I've tried helicoil inserts. Mediocre results. However it might be a last resort fix. Fill the hole with epoxy, drill and tap then install the helicoil. It should hold for a while.

If the oversize insert will still work, go that route. Good luck.

Eric

Thanks to the fantastic advice here I could it fix it without any drilling or damage to the ski. The EZ Out looked bigger on the pics, I could get a set for 7.50 and that easily got out the bad insert. Then the insert-nut-nut-screw construction, protected nut and screw from the epoxy with some vaseline (hoped that also worked as release agent), put some epoxy in the hole and on the insert, and screwed it in. Could have added more epoxy in the hole, with hindsight. But this should be ok now. Added some pics of the fixing and fix:

https://goo.gl/photos/zksAcYNRFpHog8RY7

Thanks so much!

Huge expertise here, such a pleasure!

Guus.