kids bindings help

WBLskier

• Baller
I am struggling to find a binding I like for my 10 year old. She's currently on a radar lyric binding. It works fine for her if strapped up pretty tight, but I'm not overly confident of its release properties when tightly laced up. She had a big crash last year that gave me pause. I am on a vapor binding and I feel very comfortable with its ability to release. They do not make a size that would work for her in a vapor binding. I don't really want to go to Wiley's/rubber. She's only about 85 lbs and I'm not sure how well Reflex would actually release given that (and I don't really want to drop as much $ as required for Reflex). FM looks to make a similar release binding to vapor in a smaller size, but I have never seen one in person. Does anyone have suggestions? She would be around a women's size 4 currently I think.

• Baller_

What speed and line length is she going? If she is getting close to 30mph, then I think she's ready for a reflex. The release force is easily adjustable and you can (and should) test it on the platform by leaning forward until it releases.

Avoid dual lock as a release for a single boot. Way too inconsistent and there won't be enough force at the heel to release unless you have almost no dual lock at the heel.

Yes, its pricey, but in the overall picture, its the best way to go. The vast majority of kids are using a reflex and RTP.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
She's running into 22 off 32mph. So will reflex release at only 85 or so lbs? Does anyone cover up the exposed metal pieces with anything to prevent getting cut by them in a fall? If it helps prevent an injury then it is totally worth it...but trying to convince myself that it is really a safer option for her as I don't know much about it.

• Baller_

Both my kids transitioned at about that point, maybe a little sooner (lighter and slower). Like I said, the release tension is easily adjustable and you can test on the dock or swim platform.

Reflex sells a little pad that covers the release for about $15. Its really needed more for trick than slalom, but certainly won't hurt and will give you some piece of mind.

For kids, Reflex really is the best option out there.

• Baller_

We used the plain black shell boots, but that was before the white cuffs were available. I would stick with the black ones to start. You can go a little big on the shell and use a thick liner and even thick socks, but be careful about going too big. You can call the pro-shop at Bennetts http://www.skibennetts.com/ 225 654 9306 and they should be able to help you out on the sizing. There are other good Reflex dealers, but I've used Bennetts for a long time and they have a lot of experience fitting kids.

If she slaloms and tricks, you will use the same boot, but will need an additional plate and release. The plates are adjustable (with some tools), so you can keep those as she grows and needs a bigger boot.

Most kids I've seen transition to the reflex in about a set with no hiccups and never look back.

• Baller

If your current boot floats (take if off the ski and set it in the lake or your tub) - then you can mount it with tape and it may come off the ski, or it may come off her foot. It may also do both (hence the float test)

I personally am the proof that you can blow up a leg w/ almost no binding - having shattered a femur in a rubber low wrap RTP in my early/mid teens.

• Baller
@WBLskier my daughter started using my releasable bindings at 10 years old, used them all through college and still uses them in W2. No ankle injuries. Junior skiers on the US team at the PanAm's are using them now. Much better release capabilities in a twisting or sideways fall than Reflex or Powershells, especially for trick skiing. Use the same boot for both trick & slalom with two mounting plates. Easy to change boot sizes using the same release plate as she grows. Adaptable to any style ski boot you want to use(except rubber). MOBsystemrelease.com

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller