New binding makes quite a difference - Careful!

jhughes

• Baller

So, I purchased a new D3 Leverage to replace my tired version (about 5+ hard seasons on it and 1 wrap replacement already). The new one was so tight that I rode it on my trick ski all season to get it worked in. Before going to FL last week I swapped it to my slalom ski figuring it was worked in and ready to rock. So, same exact binding model and size, just a fresher version. In particular the heel cup was so much better defined on the new version.

All ready for days of endless slalom skiing, I come out of 1-ball on my first opener, instant uncontrollable lean lock and a spectacular OTF over to 2. I have not done that in 9 years. Literally 9 years without a single wake OTF. Super violent, super hard, super scary. I must have been tumbling with the ski off but still near me because my right foot (which is actually my front foot) must have struck the ski HARD while tumbling. Cut my big toe all the way to the bone and from the general contusion my foot has been swollen and tender. I've been hobbling around for the past few days. 5 stitches in the toe and every day the foot gets a little better but my ski trip was over the INSTANT it started! Brutal, brutal. So, lesson learned: take it really really really easy with a new binding. Even if it's the exact same version of your previous binding.

• Baller_
it sounds like you mounted the binder forward on your ski. Did you check the distance from the tail of your ski to the back of your heel rubber with a measuring tape? The location of the holes on the plate may be different from your old binder.

Lpskier

• Baller
I use Radar Strada/Vapor bindings and have for several years now. After I season or two they start losing their side to side/Lateral rigidity. What I've noticed when switching out for a new one is that the ski reacts much quicker to my movements on the ski. You just need to be aware that the ski is going to make the same movements with less user input with the new binding and if you dig in the same way you did on the previous binding the new one could quite easily over-react to that movement and throw you for a spin.

• Baller

This is true for any soft binding, but the D3 Leverage is the binding that takes the longest to break in IMO. It's a great boot but it is stiff and takes a long time to break in. I recently put a new Animal on the back of my ski and it took a few sets to get used to the lateral difference (what @RazorRoss3 said) but It wasn't bad. I tried a rear Leverage one time and could not run a pass and it would have taken a while to break in.

D3 are working on some new rubber boots and the prototypes look great. It's a complete redesign but think Leverage with a softer overlay.

• Baller
I just went through this late summer with a new Vapor binding as well. Luckily I was expecting it (from past experience) and just went free skiing the first few sets. Amazing how I could barely turn the ski the first few times as it felt so different from my well used Vapor binding.