Equipment questions...

Buoyhead69

• Baller

Quick background: I'm a 47 yo male, 6'1" 175lbs. This is my 2nd season skiing the course. Last year I ended the season skiing 30mph 22' off. This year I ended the season skiing 34mph 22' off. I ran a training loop at 25' off a few times. I ran 4 balls at 28' off a couple times but couldn't get around the 5. I ski every day weather permitting, about 150 days at least a couple sets per day.

I bought a D3 Quest 45 67" which I've used last fall & all this season. I ski a lot, I take it pretty seriously, and I'm thrilled with the progress I made this season getting to 34mph but I want continue improving.

So my question: With the volume I'm skiing do I need to replace my ski? I ran through 2 radar vapor bindings this season (single boot with RTP) should I switch to hard shell? Is 67" the right length? There's a guy on the lake that frequently adjusts his fin settings and he suggested I try it (I use the stock settings); would that be worthwhile? Or should I just forget about all this and get more reps, keep my hips up & hands low & improve on all those basics that I still struggle with? After all I'm not skiing nearly the speeds & rope lengths as most of you guys so is this equipment stuff just superfluous? Should I just zip it and focus on technique and getting more reps?

• Administrators
@Buoyhead69 Your gear is fine. If you have some money burning a hole in our pocket go see Tavis at @theboardingschool and get some coaching.

• Baller

@Buoyhead69 Sounds like about 450 sets or less on that ski. With your speed, line and size that D3 is in it's prime and good for a while (assuming bought new). Get well over 1000 sets then look at it for getting soft. With D3 probably good for double that.

67" should be great for you, particularly as you get more 34 going. Fins can be a rabbit hole unless you have a reason to adjust. Same with changing skis. I'm a Radar guy but your Quest is a great ski. No better ski, just different skis. Only reason to change is if you want your ski doing different.

Best test for settings and skis: Are you always comfortable on the ski, trust it, particularly as the pass gets away from you? Does it seem to help you out of trouble when you F up? Does it feel better and instill confidence as you go faster/shorter? If yes to these questions don't change a thing, go ski the crap out of it. If no, analyze further. What specifically would you like the ski to do different? Get @SkiJay's book and do the setting change to address that. If the ski is doing something that you are changing technique to prevent, particularly stalls to OTF's, then definitely look at settings/ski's. The ski should work to accommodate your skiing, your skiing should not work to accommodate the ski.

Ran through 2 sets of Vapor Binding's in about 450 sets? Wow, that seems off. I'd send an e-mail to @eddie_roberts_jr and see how this can be mitigated. I don't use Radar boots but from what I have seen the last way longer than that. For where your skiing is, if you feel good in the Radar's stick with them. Just figure out how to stop killing them.

Take that $1,600+ for new ski and get some top level coaching in spring, somewhere warm. Best money on skiing you will ever spend.

• Baller

just a point regarding the radar boots. I've had 2 pairs of RS1 since they launched and the original pair I have still are in great usable shape. I picked up a 2nd set on closeout a few years back and now use them most of the time. I know many others who bought when I did and theirs are long destroyed.

I don't ski that much, and usually spread out my sets over the week, which means my equipment dries out. I do believe that drying and making sure the boots are not in the sun is paramount to longevity.

I remove the liners and insoles from the boots and hang them to dry in my furnace room (which is dry and warm). I never leave my ski in the sun.

agreed that you should spend money on coaching not gear.

Also; quality over quantity!

• Baller
I agree with @wtrskior about quality over quantity. I am jealous that you ski that much. Even more jealous that you CAN ski that much. Your body and brain needs a break from skiing throughout the season. In a season a lot of skiing for me would be more than 4-5 times a week and that is just one set.