Post Achilles Rupture Binding

Lovell

• Baller

I ruptured my Left Achilles Tendon while skiing in July. I'm four months into my recovery and feeling good. Looking forward to the Spring, I'm considering my binding options. I was using a double Wiley set up that has worked well for me since I came back to the sport two years ago. They have been great as I grew up skiing on the Kidder High Wraps which are basically the same.

I am now looking for a safer better option, if there is one. My practice average , that was steadily improving at the time of my injury, was 4 or 5 at -32. I ski at 34.

I'm thinking Reflex, but I am interested in what others think.

I also fully understand the risks of the sport and that there is no perfectly safe set up or system, sometimes injuries just happen.

Thanks.

• Baller

@Lovell

Same injury here as you know by now.Was on Reflex front and rtp.

I was 100% satisfied of my Reflex prior to the injury and plan to stay on same set up.

Shit happens...

Good luck!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators

You can get hurt in any binding. The trick is to understand the pros and cons of any binding. In the last 10 years I have mostly used Radar and Reflex. You can use of either of these systems to be extremely dangerous or extremely safe. The trick is to understand to how they release and make a decision on your risk level.

My rule with the Radar Vapor (and other similar systems) bindings is that i have to run the top lace loose enough that I can pull the ski off without loosening the lace.

Here is my Reflex release test.

• Baller

what @Horton said.

ruptured mine in a Reflex, BUT, it was after changing shells and NOT doing a platform release test.

after trying other systems; still in Reflex and platform test the release 2x/month or after any change to the shell or it's structure.

be perceptive with chosen equipment; good luck on your calf-rehab!

• Administrators
To add to what I said above - any Rubber binding that has laces that you must undo to get out of is as dangerous as any other binding. If you can not get out without adjusting something you are in danger.

• Baller
I switched from conventional boot two years ago to an OB4. When I buy my next one, it will be the MOB; Mike's Overall Binding System. From what I gather, this design will release from loading the front, back, or sides where other releasables are not quite this advanced regarding loads from different angles. Based upon this, I feel the MOB is the best releasable boot choice.

• Baller
@Horton pretty much said it. I had ATR July 2012 while in rubber boots. Started back the following season in March with Radar Strada (now Vapor) boots. Run them loose as noted above. Considered Reflex as well. Still on the Radars and really like them. In the future will certainly consider MOB.

• Baller
Reflex has saved me from injury. Test your release tension, as said above. MOB would be my next choice. I've been wanting to try one for a long time. But that's just because I love the hard shells. I've skied the Vapors and have nothing but good things to say about them too

• Baller
Reflex/r-style - 3 weeks ago hit the 5@38, took a bit long to release (I guess the buoy support has something to do with that) - partial achilles rupture 1" upper from the end of the front reflex - no surgery needed - I guess the reflex strap saved me from a total rupture. Oh well, next week start physiotherapy, hopely back to water first week of 2017 (about 10 weeks off).

• Baller
@WBLskier the MOB system is my latest version of the binding system I have been using for over twenty years, which originated from @Deanoski 's ARC binding. I also developed the OB4 system. @Lovell You can use a variety of styles of boots with the MOB release, and you can use any style rear setup also. Email me if you have questions.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I ruptured my achilles about 8 or more years ago on stiff Kidder/KD highwraps in cold water (making them stiffer!). Switched to Radar's RS-1s (precursors to the Stradas and Vapors). Keeping in mind @Horton 's comments about the lace tightening, I have skied completely without worry or incident ever since. Achilles is an out-the-front fall which, in my mind, the RS-1/Strada/Vapor boots deal with as safely/simply/reliably as any system out there. For the 0.1% chance that someday you'll have some strange torsional fall, that's where (IMHO) OB4/MOB might provide some extra safety.

I tore my ATR in 2012. @Zman and I were conversing on our progress back then. Accident occurred using the D3 Leverage binding. I didn't release from the front and had a RTP. Considered all bindings except the hardshells. Settled with the D3 T-Factor. The key feature with that binding is the feel is pretty much the same as the Leverage binding, but the laces are elastic laces so that you can achieve the fit you want yet it has the ability to stretch open. Since 2012 I've had one fall very similar to the injury fall, OTF and I came out. It was good test in my mind. Nothing is perfect but I feel like the T-Factor gives me a better chance to release. Good luck man