Winterization

blinddog

Winterized my boat using Camco Arctic Ban -50. It is pink RV/Marine antifreeze that I bought at Advance Auto. After finishing everything (ofcourse), I noticed a warning on the label that says "not for use in automotive radiators or boat engines". I called Camco and they told me this product contains Ethanol and eats away at rubber and is also combustible and should not be used for boat engines. They have a product called Freeze Ban -50 that does not contain Ethanol. I just thought I would pass this along to anyone who like me just bought pink RV antifreeze and didn't think any more about it. I suspect many brands also contain ethanol and it's stated on the label, so now I have to find some that is ethanol free, whether it's Camco or some other brand. Now to winterize all over again.....

• Baller
@blinddog My suggestion is drain it if you didn't already. Put the proper marine stuff in it. When spring rolls around, just crank your engine enough to pump the water through with the valves open and flush it out. The rest will come out when running.. You will be fine. Takes a lot to hash an engine. Good luck.

That's what I'm going to do as soon as I can find RV antifreeze without Ethanol. I looked at several auto parts stores and Walmart last night with no luck. I bet most people are using the same stuff I did and don't realize it. I found some last night at Auto Zone that had ethanol but did not contain the warning. That guy told me everybody was buying that to winterize their boats. I'll leave what's in there until I find the good stuff.