Judging a driver...

Wish

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Wonder if a driver ever set a skier down and told the boat judge that he was all over the place and it will never pass review? If this happened should the skier have been given a choice for reride or forced to?

As for as cheating in my imagination I could see where a skilled driver could possibly move out with the skier so that the skier kept a tight line. @wish interesting questions. I heard of driver slowing the boat down after the exit gates to lessen slack hits.

• Baller
@gregy I myself have done just that. I was in the drivers seat in a tournament and got hit by a big gust of wind at the wrong time, which then set up a seesaw down the lake and I never got back in sync with the skier(Who went down at 5). At the end of the lake I told the judge I was all over the place trying to get back with the skier.

• Baller
@LeonL @bonehead and other judges and drivers. Consider the scenario that you just set the skier down on a pass that the skier just completed. Its at a tournament with end course video. Driver is thinking to himself that one got away from me but the skier completed the pass. Driver thinking what should I do, my driving was a detriment to the skier but they completed the pass anyway? But, the driver remembers that thread on BOS and thinks Hey if I don't say something everyones scores for the entire tournament could be at risk of being pulled if this get reviewed. What would you do now?

• Baller
You voice your concerns to the boat judge and then ask the chief driver and chief judge to review the video. The boat judge will tell skier what's going on and just in case it was not to his detriment, but to his advantage he is to continue skiing at risk. You have done your part and then defer to the aforementioned chief officials. This is what I would do. In all cases I want the skier to have the benefit of the doubt, but remain within the rules. Please, other drivers/ judges offer your opinion.

• Baller

Boat judging is a tough job and in section 10.08, it outlines:

The boat judge shall observe the boat path (see Rule 10.07). If any part of the boat deviates outside the bounds of the boat gates, the boat judge shall award an optional reride if the path of deviation was a disadvantage to the skier. If it was to the skier’s advantage, a reride is mandatory.

10.07 Boat Path

A. The boat path is intended to be a straight line along the centerline of the course.

B. Where end course is available, the towboat pylon shall not deviate by more than 20cm(7.87in) from the course centerline. For instances where end course video is not available, the boat shall follow a straight path as close to the centerline of the course as possible.

Not only responsible for judging the skier but the boat path as well. That it a lot of fast moving balls, at the same time, to manage.

@OB1 I have to disagree. I think most drivers want to give you the best pull possible I can tell you from my perspective. I think every skier wants something a little different If you want to be a good driver you have to take feedback from the skiers. For example I can tell you that CP and Nate do not want the same type of pull. CP wants the boat moving away from him at the buoy very quickly. Nate wants it a little less aggressive and slower. The each run a different line. So you need to know who you are driving it's important to have a feel for what is going on behind you when you are at the wheel Talking with these guys is crucial to being a good driver.

I have called for my own re rides in a tournament. I wrong sided Nate at 41 off and asked for the CJ to look at it. It was terrible. So Nate got a re ride. I don't think drivers are ever perfect for all 6 buoys.

It's like skiing. Takes practice and seat time.

• Baller

@gregy you said "what if" the pull was to the DETRIMENT to the skier. Whereas @bonehead just said he gave the skier a bad pull. In the case of a pass where the boat path was determined to be "a disadvantage" to a skier, whether or not there is end course video or if it's monitored, it's purely a boat judge call as to offer an optional reride (with a protected score). If the boat path favors a skier the reride is mandatory (no score protected). Again that's a boat judge call. If there is an end course video it's always best to have some official monitor it if at all possible. For Class L/R tournaments it's actually one of the few things a Chief Judge can actually do during an event at the tournament. Typically I find myself at the monitor watching video and helping with reviews etc.

Likewise, an end course video review judge can also trigger a reride (same as above). But in that case the CJ must agree.

• Baller
Keep in mind that the roostertail is not always centered on the boat, which sometimes makes it hard for the boat judge to know exactly where the boat is. Last summer, while watching the end course video I was telling a driver over the radio to move a couple inches to one side. Later the driver told me at the exact time I said that the boat judge told him to move a couple inches to the other side. Since it was my boat, it made perfect sense because comparing what I see spot checking the mirror was always a couple inches different than what I see later reviewing the end course video. I have alse seen end course video set up where the camera is not dead center, which causes the appearance of the boat being off center when it is actually centered.

@rico I am pretty sure you don't actually give every skier the same pull. You may be straight as a driver. But I would say it is not possible to give a 200 lb skier the same pull as a 120lb skier. Or a skier that turns like hell on 1/3/5 vs a skier that turns like hell and loads hard a 2/4/6. No two skiers ski the same. So it's not possible to drive all skiers the same. It's all about feeling what's going on behind you. If I wait late and let cp hit me out of the turn at 1/3/5 i can assure you that my path will suffer. If i am aggressive and move away with anticipation for the load CP can generate then the path will not suffer. Nate does not turn and load as hard so he doesn't need a driver that anticipates as quickly So with that being said I am pretty sure no two skiers ever get the same pull in my opinion. It does help to study and watch the skiers. Know if they are left foot forward or right foot forward. Knowing what kinda of line they run. Early line vs a later line. All of these factors dictate your actions on the wheel. Just my .02 cents

• Supporting Member
@LeonL @bishop8950 Yep. Drivers are humans. I am only an OK driver (though I sure as hell don't cheat for or against anyone on purpose -- wtf!). At least once I can recall really misjudging the gate setup and having to correct course at a time that may have affected the skier's move up for the gate. I informed the judges. I actually can't even recall if the skier made the pass or what, but the key seems simply to inform the judges and let them do the best they can at THEIR job.

• Baller_

I would have to second what Chad expounded on. I think some of the toughest bunch to pull is the older shortline guy's skiing into 39/41 off at 30 and 32 mph.

Would like to add to it local conditions and unfamiliar boats! Many a driver from the class C events on up find them selves from time to time driving unfamiliar equipment as many area's only see certain brands and when a boat show's up that is not common to the site or to the local drivers it can take a few laps up and down the lake to get accustomed to it's quirks, even drivers invited from other area's used to other equipment may need some seat time to adjust. One of the reasons as a Chief driver I prefer to see the promo boats and event drivers show up fri afternoon before the event is for each to drive and boats to make sure they are not problematic or have issues.

I will put a problem boat on the trailer in a heartbeat before or during an event, It is not fair to the athletes if a boat does not perform or has drivability issues.

• Baller_
The more I read the more variables arise that can alter boat path innocently in or out fo tolerance. Good grief.. we had no chance of getting into the Olympics. So with all these variables, how the heck does cheating get called? How is any driver gonna know if they are going to be accused of cheating? Could it not have been one of the veriables? At least through this thread, no one has made it clear how that accusation occurs and what the process is for that to happen or what kind of process, if any, a driver has to dispute such an accusation. It's on topic of "Judging a Driver". Pretty sure those not so little details will make any wanna be driver or current driver reconsider their decision. Just lookn for answers so that does not become a thing...anyone? Going twice.

• Baller

@wish, the occurrence in the other thread concerns me wrt how our governing body manages such situations generally. I hope they regroup, get it right in this case and going forward.

The situation on the other thread does not make me want to quit driving. I love driving and will keep working on my skills almost as much as I do on my skiing. I hope to drive in higher level events and get my senior rating. I will also continue to bring new drivers into the mix. In parallel I hope these "management issues" are resolved.

I don't know the exact answer to your unadressed questions. Maybe it's in the rule book? I haven't looked. Maybe someone senior and in the know will post after the jury is out with the issues at hand?

• Baller
@bishop8950 I would emphasize drive as much practice as you can, intercollegiate is another way to get a wide range of abilities and situations, being a skier helps more than you will ever know, I've seen very few good drivers that couldn't run 35/38 off. Always work with your judge and know where your skier is, whether it's pulling CP or @ChadScott everything is critical and you better be one step ahead of the skier, reacting in shortline slalom will get you killed

• Baller
@rico Unfortunately, the reality is that it is not possible (for me at least), to give everyone the same pull. I find it much easier to give a good pull to a great skier who skies with good rhythm, than someone who skis like I do (scrappy, unpredictable, huge long pull off of one ball, no pull off the next, late pull off the next, etc.) When I am skiing I feel like any bad pull is my own fault due to the crappy skiing, but when I am driving I am constantly trying give a better pull and get into rhythm with an erratic skier, but I know they didn't get the same pull the consistent skier got.

• Baller

As a regular driver, regular scorer, and regular judge I would venture to say that 90% of the judges who get into the boat have never been given the knowledge as to what is within the "box" and what is outside the box in regards to boat path and pull. And I will add that most don't know what the rules are as far as rerides, who gets them, which are protected, etc. This is probably an area that the AWSA could improve upon. I know I've been monitoring boat path in a record tournament where a driver was banging the right hand boat guides and the two regular or sr judges in the boat didn't say anything. I had to. Did they legitimately not know or did they not feel empowered to say anything to that driver? I honestly think in a lot of cases it's the latter.

And I certainly agree with Lyman. Driving collegiate tournaments is a great way to get experience. You could be driving an out of sync long line person at 26mph and the next skier could be capable of getting into 41 off. If you drive a lot of collegiate you'll have an easier time in a C or R tournament when the skiers are more consistent. Plus you get to look at girls in bikinis all day.

• Baller
Thanks @LLUSA. I am a Reg driver, have Cheif driven several events, and been invited to drive in tournaments including records at Shortline where I have guys like Will Bush and Greg Badal watching and coaching me. I jump in that drivers seat whenever I can and seek feedback. I agree and would think it would be a lot harder to pull shortline skiers if I wasn't one. As I am driving I can feel where they are and know what I would want to feel from the drivers seat. What I am working now is being able to deal with the variety of skiers you get in a tornament and the variety of boats. I believe I can drive well but driving consistantly well in a tournament round is another animal.

• Baller
@rico , there is a host of information on USAWS' website and the 3 Event section thereof about driving, chief driving, and more. You probably already know this, but there is an Officials Resources section for AWSA officials, a Driver's Policy Manual, an IWWF Tournament manual, some of which describe Chief Driver duties, and more - not to mention the tow boat manual. I try to read all of these, and believe it or not, the AWSA rule book every spring before tournament season starts. Perhaps we all should.

• Baller_

So let me ask @Wish 's question a little differently. Let's assume a few things. First, assume we are driving an ELR, and assume that we have a centerline deviation allowance of 20cm, or about 8" either side of centerline to stay in tolerance.

Assume we have available to us a properly set up SplashEye program so we can get almost instantaneous feed back on whether the boat path is in the green (good) or red (out of tolerance). This part of the hypothetical is just here so that we have real time feedback of "in tolerance" driving, but for no other reason.

Our hypothetical driver is almost always (call it 97%-not perfect but darned good) in the green or at least a path will have both negative and positive deviations and result in a In tolerance pass. Everyone in our hypothetical gets about the same pull and there are no skier complaints about the driving and no requests for driver related re rides. Skiers are on the higher side of the ability curve as you'd expect in a record event, with all body sizes and skiing styles represented. The tournament scores are good to slightly better than average with some PB's but no world records. Everyone at the event is happy.

In that event, and with an eight inch "margin of error" (tolerance) on each side of center, can a driver intentionally drive in a manner that unfairly advantages a skier? Are there drivers that are good enough to give a ski school weave down a 16" ally and help a skier while technically remaining in tolerance? Should a really good driver be held to a higher standard than a schmo like me? Or is the fact that the driver remained in tolerance (or neutral overall deviations) 98% of the time evidence of darned good driving?

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier there are drivers that when their "on" can take that deviation and make the most of it, it's all about the feel you get from the boat, the lake, and especially the skier. That deviation is a lot to play with given the right circumstances, and if it's in tolerance it's in tolerance. Believe me I know how this work and when you've got it going things roll.

• Baller_

I guess what Brian is asking is what and the how a accusation of rule/ policy violation process works for Officials and repercussions process involved ( generalizing drivers and officials as one because the process is the same for both). In my short experience as a director and long time regional councilman this is what and how I have seen these grievances happen.

First it can start with a complaint. This complaint can come from many sources. A skier, A group of Skiers, Fellow officials, Regional reps, rules or Technical committees, A complaint from another Federation and their respective committees or one of the high and mighty them selves in the international world.

Second evidence of rule infraction or policy to enhance skier performance. Again this can come from many sources. End course video, in the case of jump they can even tell if a boat is over accelerating through the timing segments by video, a scorebook and tournament report. This evidence is then supplied to many individuals such as Regional BOD members, rules Chairman, driver committee Chair, judges scorers committee chair and for evaluation along with Regional EVP's and AWSA president is also at the for front of investigation and direction of these cases.

If it is deemed evidence is accurate and shows intent of skier performance enhancement then in the case of AWSA the president can then send the issue to a respective committee or request the BOD to evaluate, validate and make a suggestion of severity and course of disciplinary action. this can then be sent back to rules or judges or drivers committees or can be settled in the board room meeting.

Disciplinary action can range from a phone call from committee chair or president, signed disciplinary letter from committee chair or AWSA president on up to revoke of officials rating or suspension.

These disciplinary actions can be protested as per USAWS/AWSA Policy's and procedures.

The bylaw's and policy's and procedure's manual Documents for USAWS, AWSA and IWWF can be found at the respective organization's web sites.

Lyman hit the nail on the head!

"there are drivers that when their "on" can take that deviation and make the most of it, it's all about the feel you get from the boat, the lake, and especially the skier. That deviation is a lot to play with given the right circumstances, and if it's in tolerance it's in tolerance. Believe me I know how this work and when you've got it going things roll. "

Problem is that too many of these drivers are trying way to hard to manipulate that tolerance deviation. Because we now have a rankings list for qualification to the championship series it has become very unfair for skiers who ski at events where the boat is run down the middle vs the events where drivers are working the deviation tolerance!

Get rid of the rankings list for qualification most of this goes away!

• Baller

@Jody_Seal can you elaborate on "way too many drivers try to hard to manipulate the tolerances" in the above post. How many have been punished whether it be a phone call or more over a suspension in the last 10 years. Not many I bet. I've skied at many tournaments, nationals, regionals, L's, R's, C's etc. I've haven't seen crazy deviation. Some drivers style may suit my ski style or your ski style better than others. But I would call that the human factor. My hope that if any driving that would come under any review or scrutiny would at least get a phone call from his or her region or national director.

I have been at nationals and skiers are getting dumped right and left till the boat crew change in the middle of a group, then wabam. Skiers get a new driver and score go up. The first and second driver have different styles or maybe the first driver is "off". Who knows. That's the way it goes.

@LLUSA seems to me if a driver was really "on" one day, he or she could be off the next.

Seems to me it is no different than me have a bad ski day. Some days I can run right thru 38 and others I dump it a 1 ball 5x in a row.

I would hope anyone that is in a position to judge others keep any other motives in ck. At the end of the day its more about personalities and politics, not skill or a off day. That's unfortunate.

• Baller_

Sorry Chris you can do your own research on past disciplinary actions via researching BOD meeting min from the last 10 years.

"way too many drivers try to hard to manipulate the tolerances" Your not quoting my statement that is your writing and I am not going to address that!

I wrote, "Problem is that too many of these drivers are trying way to hard to manipulate that tolerance deviation".

Funny one can go back to the AWSA rankings list and see there is a trend with top level slalom skiers that ski both class C and Record one can see there is on a average a 3 bouy less scores for class REL events then that of class C ! Some skiers have nearly a pass difference between better scores in Class C then REL ... Wonder why that is?? Wait!! I can answer that!! No end course camera..

• Baller

@Jody_Seal looks like your best score last year was a class C and was 2.5 buoys higher than any other score, so that driver must have been swerving all over the course? I am sure there are other reasons to explain this Phenomenon. Perhaps the skier ski's a lot more class C tourneys than E,L,R. So you would expect there highest scores to be class C. Perhaps these skiers are getting higher scores at class C tournaments is because the driving is not as good. Skiing behind a "soft" driver usually adds a couple buoys to my practice scores. Perhaps the class C tourneys are local tourneys and the drivers are the guys you ski behind every day.... my point is there are a lot of reasons to explain why this could be the case and just flat out saying that everyone is cheating because there is no end course video seems a little extreme, even from a national director

Does anyone know when the "Tolerance" was decided to be 8" on each side? Maybe with the advancements in technology, i.e. better tracking and driving boats, this needs to be narrowed. Then it would be harder for the drivers to "manipulate the tolerance"

• Baller
Wow Jody. My misquote and your quote are so different. Thx. No end course video is the reason people "some skiers" ski better. How about strange site or new drivers or bad day or any number of reasons. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems you are implying that there is a lot of cheating. There are a lot more class c's then REL's. Maybe you can really crack down on those class c's.

• Baller
@bigtex2011 a good driver having an off day may still be better than most drivers good days. Scores are higher in C events because of the stuff that is allowed to go on. I good driver can make you run a pass you had no chance of in practice in a class C, take that for what it's worth. As for narrowing the tolerance there's not enough drivers that can meet the requirements as they are, I've seen way too much video.

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal @LLUSA As a northern skier (until recently) my ski partner and I would head south in September and October to ski the southern records. Trophy, Okeeheelee, where ever looked fun and still had room. We would typically get our best scores of the season in the fall because we were skiing well, we were training in cold, fast water and competing in warm , slow water, and we had the confidence to ski well knowing the buoys were the right height and the driving was behind the best, the likes of the two of you, Gordon, Dana, Chris, Tommy, Becky, etc. Sure, there are those class C sites where "everyone goes home happy," but for us, the ELR's of the south were the best. No monkey business; just everything was right. Still is right, I should say.

Lpskier

• Baller

@LLUSA you said that a good driver on and off day can still be better than "most drivers". Earlier you said that the tolerance is wide enough that some drivers can "make the most of it" and if "it's in tolerance it's in tolerance". Finally you said that you can't see how the tolerances can be tightened because "there are not enough drivers that can meet the tolerances they way they are" and that scores are higher in a class C because "of the stuff that's allowed to go on".

All that strikes me as suggesting that there are only but a small handful of drivers that are actually capable of driving to record tolerances and even then some (few? All?) of them are capable of driving the boat to a skiers advantage and that's "ok" as long as it's in tolerance.

Different skiers have different styles and various desires to define a "best pull". Skier weight can matter, especially if the driver and skier are not "in sync" with each other.

Your comments suggest that using the tolerance is "ok" as long as it stays in tolerance. When is that the case? Why is it ok for "stuff to go on" in a class C tournament? Help me understand what defines a "good driver" to you.

• Baller
I have always wondered the best way to drive. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Firstly I noticed that the reference point for center course is dramatically different. Driving nautique I practically feel like I'm riding center course whereas MC I feel like I'm sitting right on top of the right gate ball. Second I feel like the time to make adjustments is when the skier is hooked up and favorably when they are approaching the wakes. Lastly I am unsure whether it's better to be proactive and lead the skier as @Chad_Scott put it (I know your an amazing driver) or to be more reactive and save it for after the hook, maybe that's dependent on the ability level and consistency level of the skier.

• Baller_
@TravisNW that is a great question and one I'd like to hear about. I'm sure many ballers will chime in. You'd probably get more posts chained together specifically on that if it was its own thread topic. Here you're going to have to sort through posts related to the topic at hand and answers to your question. And this thread could spin way off topic.

@TravisNW the reason you have to stay ahead of the skier is to maintain a straight boat path. If you are making your adjustments after they have finished the turn and hooked up to the line then chances are that you and the skier are now going in the same direction. So you are now chasing the skier behind you. Most skiers at any level need a post to lean on to gain the cross course direction they are seeking. If you are reacting and chasing the skier then you are not providing a post to swing from and probably adversely effecting the skiers cross course speed. You are now moving the same direction and effecting the skiers ability to swing I am also willing to say that when a driver is reactive the boat path is suffering. Because you arecwaiting for the skier to load before reacting. Once the load comes on at the end of the skiers turn a driver who is waiting a reacting will see the back of the boat move towards the skiers direction. Then the chase is on. Best way to see effects of driving is to put a camera at the end of the lake No better training tool

• Baller
@Chad_Scott do you generally drive different skiers differently? If so, how? You mentioned earlier that CP and Nate both want something slightly different based on their style and likely size. Do you think you give them the same pull or are they different?

I drive based on what I feel from the seat with the skier. Both Nate and Cp ski differently. Cp runs an earlier line with a more aggressive turning style. Vs Nate who runs a little later line and turns differently than CP. also lefty vs a righty. I drive on feel and always try to stay ahead. Nate runs a later line so my movements with him are not as quick as they would be with a big skier like Cp who runs an earlier line When.Cp get ready to turn 1/3/5 u better be moving away and ready for the load. When Freddie winter drops his bomb turn at 2/4/ u better be moving or u will be chasing him. I think all skiers ski a little different and require different movements with the boat at different times to maintain a record tolerance boat path. When I pull up to the dock one of the first things I do is look to see what foot forward the skier is. For the same reasons. Anticipation will be different based up what foot forward a skier is.

• Baller

@lpskier when end course film is reviewed of skiers in a division and the pattern driven by that particular driver is directed toward helping skiers at each buoy to enhance their score instead of maintain centerline, I consider that pattern driving.@TravisNW Chad is dead on pulling each skier differently, or as I say responding to their needs in order to maintain centerline and give each individual the same pull. Pulling Chad, Jay Leach, and KLP all require a different feel, giving KLP what Chad needs would leave him dead in the water and vice versus, but then again pulling drivers/skiers will always get you a review.

My understanding of pattern driving is when a driver purposefully drives in a manner to utilize the tolerances. Usually in a snaking manner which is deemed to be to the advantage of the skier. The 20 cm is to allow for human error and not to be aimed for as a driver

Rule 1.12: There are those that do not, or choose not to understand Rule 1.12. This rule states....“In any activity involving the performance of an official where a tolerance is involved, it is the official’s responsibility to be as close as possible to the actual specification. All tolerances are to allow for human error and the use of tolerances by officials to improve skier performance will not be tolerated.” Boat Judges are the “Captains” of the Boat” and need to make sure that times are not being manipulated to enhance performances. Scorers may notice a pattern developing and can bring it to the attention of the Chief Driver or Chief Judge. Chief Drivers and Chief Judges need to make sure that all officials understand that abuse of the rules will not be tolerated. Skiers who perform exceptionally well under false conditions will certainly be disenchanted when they ski within the rules.

• Baller

Interesting I looked up the definition of Pattern and it has it used as a noun or verb. As an objective the say to use "patterned" or "patternlike". So it should be patterned driving. The definition that I seems to apply ": the regular and repeated way in which something is done".

I say all this because in the context here it is definitely used as something negative that gives an unfair advantage to a skier. But when I read @Chad_Scott 's descriptions of driving it seems like a pattern to me, no disrespect to Chad and by no means am I saying Chad is cheating. Just saying if I hadn't read earlier in the thread I would think pattern is a good thing. If you just hold the wheel straight you'll be all over. You have to use some kind of rhythm or pattern of driving to give a good pull.

Some of my best scores have been in tournaments and I don't think its because the driver is cheating, its because of good driving.

So to expand on @lpskier post. Where do you draw the line between Bad driving, cheating, and good driving, other than the obvious outside the +/_ 8". I can imagine situations were a bad driver might be punished for bad driving or a really good driver gets punished for driving really good but staying in tolerance.

• Baller_

I am in no way a chief or senior anything, but offer my thoughts.

Pattern driving:

1. Put boat as close as possible to right hand boat guide (while remaining in tolerance) when skier is at apex or turning buoy #1 on right side of the boat.

2. After skier completes turn on right side, make a beeline with the boat on a diagonal to put the boat as close as possible to the left hand boat guide (while remaining in tolerance) when skier is at apex or turning buoy #2 on left side of boat.

3. After skier completes turn, make beeline for opposite boat guide for next turn.

4. Repeat #3 until exit gate.

I think most of us can recognize it by looking at it.

In my mind, the real objective is to be as close to centered as possible and to make any required corrections quickly without being abrupt. Or, even better, the goal is to prevent the corrections from being required or at least help keep them minimized. To do this well, I think you need to anticipate the skier location in the course, their technique, and the impending load for which you will need to compensate. To me, this means you need to apply pressure with the boat (not steer it to one side) at the moment of load, or slightly before, and then actively resist the load to maintain course and remain in the center. This, coincidentally, benefits the skier by providing a reliable anchor/pivot point for their load and helps them maintain good connection. Then, as the load dissipates, you reduce your resistance and apply light correction again to remain centered. I think the corrections themselves and the magnitude of pressure/force need to be of a progressive nature or you run the risk of slinging the skier across the wake (like pulling tubers) or yanking the handle away from them at the buoy.

For non-pattern driving, the end course video would show a boat that is relatively quiet in movement and the duration of the correction windows would be short. You shouldn't look like you are fishtailing back and forth, although you will see some boat waggle as the load and corrections occur. Allowing the skier to pull you all over the place probably doesn't help them as much, if it is essentially a mushy connection between boat and skier. If you are doing this right, you will be giving the skier a good ride and there will never be any question of your path.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Seems like in the rule Chad references, Pattern is used as a situation where skiers are doing exceptionally well on a systematic or habitual basis while a particular driver is behind the wheel. Not as way of describing the way the person is driving.