Girlfriend Needs a Ski

ecno

Hey,

My girlfriend has finally (after years of my guilt trips) said she'd get into skiing with me.

She goes for a rip at the cottage every once in a while but now wants to take some lessons and maybe try and go through a course at some point.

Question is, what ski would suit her best? She's 5'2", about 120lbs ish.

I want to get her something that she could develop on and not have to replace in a year or two.

I was thinking a women's CX 65", a Radar lyric 65", possibly a TRA 63", or maybe a TX.

Any input is appreciated...

@Horton haha! Measurements: 120, 5'2" 34D, blonde... thats the best I can do...

I was a bit skeptical of a 63" possibility so that's good to clear up.

And a vote for the Lyric, that was my top choice but wanted some confirmation.

• Supporting Member

Never heard of someone disliking the Lyric. Very good and safe choice.

You may also consider a custom-fit Eagle life vest. A lot of standard ones are not super-comfortable for D and above. Comfortable gear is huge for staying interested! (Yeah yeah, insert hilarity here. But this is good advice.)

• Baller
I just looked at the HO site, @Bill22 is correct. The CX comes in a 65" superlite though. The womens models don't appear to be superlite, and the TX superlite is just 67 and 69. I beleive the TX is the wider version, so maybe a little better suited for her, but CX is still a good crossover ski. So, would the superlite CX be better, or a non superlite TX (which would be avilable in a womens model?)

• Baller
Found a 2013, 66 inch Radar Strada (new display model) on Ski-it-again for a great price for my wife. No course skiing, but she loves it. Easy, forgiving and more ski than she will ever need. I slapped on my binders and after one practice pass, ran 28, 32, 35. I was shocked at how it generated speed and was stable in the turns. Very versatile ski.

• Baller
@ecno there is really only one ski out there which you should consider and it is Radar´s butter knife 65". It is by far the best ski you can get for your girlfriend especially if she eventually wants to learn the slalom course. You will make life so much easier for her on this ski and she will learn so much faster. She can use it easy up to 30mph. I recommend this ski for a lot of my students and it makes my work so much easier and they learn in now time. It is the best ski for the least amount of money! You will not regret buying this ski.

• Baller
@Thomas_Gustafson is there much a difference between the butter knife and Katana? took the Katana for a rip this year while waiting for new bindings on my senate and it was a blast to ride. I would recommend that ski to anyone getting into the slalom game. #radar

• Baller
Even though the Katana was not necessarily designed for shortline slalom, Mike Gile couldn't help himself and took one out for a rip last summer and got to the six ball at -35 and 34 MPH. This was on a rock stock ski with the standard non adjustable fin. Mike was chastised for not sacrificing his body and just throwing himself at the six, the boat crew would have liked to see that! It is definitely course capable.

• Baller
@Bill22 i did both actually. ran a few open water passes and then ran two on the course. line-22 speed 32. was looking for something to have around for my friends who aren't great skiers but are good enough you know...I felt a lot of stability and a lot of water underneath me. my buddies would be looking for something like that i think. Also watched a vid / pics of @jMacSkis rippin a butterknife for a promo vid i think. He made the ski look fun for everyone.

• Baller

After hearing so many positive comments from trusted ballers, I went out and got my new girlfriend the Lyric. Thanks to everyone for their advice. She can't wait to try it out and is very excited for the ice to melt. Oh and thanks to @Horton for this great site that allowed me to meet the awesome @Shell. Skiing GF's are not a myth they do exist!!

mucp9fxgys0l.jpeg