EdgeWaterSki Boot unboxing

Horton

• Administrators
@wskier I don't think the liner that currently comes with Edge is heat moldable. I generally never heat mold thinner liners anyway.

• Administrators
@ALPJr yes there is a basic foam insert. If you're looking for a lot of orthotics support you should really go to a running store and get some Superfeet.

I switched from a basic Reflex binding to this binding a little over a week ago. I immediately noticed the difference of the binding not moving around when I skied. There is no slop at all in this binding. The binding skis great. The buckles are awesome, especially the top one which you adjust once and it stays the same. Another thing I noticed is that in the past I had to retighten my binding screws pretty much every set, I've skied a dozen sets on this binding and the screws haven't come loose yet. I'm lovin' it.

• Baller

ditto @SM

@disland -imo-

The Edge shell’s upper cuff articulates with the lower shell’s v-cut shaped heel. As the ankle flexes, increasing tension wraps around the ankle providing ample force to disengage the release in an OTF without stressing the Achilles tendon.

The Achilles strap on the white cuff shell is all or nothing. It is needed on that shell to effect sufficient upward force to disengage the release; without it the skier may not release as predictably.

Anecdotally, when I switched from the tongue brake black cuff Reflex to the white cuff I did not platform test the release; it probably was too tight. If the release is set too high (tight) the Achilles may incur abrupt load after the strap is taught. Upon striking 6B my Achilles tendon ruptured. Although the brake strap engaged, the release stayed put. This created an abrupt upward tension on the Achilles (as though trying to force the heel out of the shell) and thus the snap. Most Achilles ruptures occur from an abrupt load rather than an over stretch and usually in an otherwise asymptomatic tendon.

The nice aspect of hardshells using the Silvretta release mechanism is the ability to platform replicate the release. It’s strongly advisable to be very familiar with the release set-up and test it on the dock/platform to be comfortable that it will release when needed without undue force (or load on the Achilles) as well as not too easily to avoid pre-release.

This Edge shell and plate is likely to be received very favorably.

Looking forward to @Horton review.

• Administrators
@Andre I would guess that the hole patterns for the hoop would not line up. I would say it would be more trouble than it is worth to try to build a hybrid of the two systems.

• Baller_

I have seen this set up but have not skied on it. It looks identical to HO. As I understand it, the binder is Jon's design that he licensed to HO.

Both Jon and HO are offering it for sale.

The shell appears to be the same as used by Fluid Motion. The heel release is the same as reflex. The difference from other binders, except HO, is the horseshoe at the toe and the interface with the ski.

The toe horseshoe is contoured to the boot such that there is a more complete and tighter fit between the boot and binder and hence the ski.

The bottom of the shell is flat and made flatter still with some grinding. The shell sits in a molded bed on the under foot on the plate making for a better meld between the binding and the ski, with any move of the foot or leg immediately transferred to the edge of the ski.

Fit and finish all looks good. I might have tried to use laces in the existing lace holes to eliminate two buckles and some buckle drag, but maybe Jon tried that and decided to stick with buckles for convenience or otherwise.

As @SM notes, the result is a very tight interface between the skier, the binder and the ski, I.e., no "slop." The question is whether this tight interface is a step forward or not, and as I haven't skied the binder, I will leave that report to @Horton. Nevertheless, in his endeavors building jumps, doing TC work, building binders, etc., he is showing a commitment to what will one day be a "post pro skier" career in water skiing, and that alone is a large positive for the sport.

Lpskier

• Baller

I'm left to wonder just how close the rear boot toe can be place to the back of this binding? For those who prefer little or no separation, it looks like there will be considerable separation. This is particularly important when considering ankle distance apart for those with larger size feet. Also how important is it to match a rear boot with the same release tendencies as the front?

Thanks for comments.

jj270breeo79.jpg

I use a kicker and my rear toe touches the front binding. Also, the base plate is cut in such a way as to allow a rear boot to get really close. I know that the reflex R style rear binding is cut in such a way as to get really close and not inhibit the function of the release.

• Baller

Basically a similar set-up to other hardshell systems using the Silvretta release:

@solski – typically a RTP or RB that allows the foot to escape easily is used. Many find the Reflex R-style ideal. Wiley, HO Animal, etc.; a number of RBs can be used if not too tight from which to release before the FB does. The Radar "Prime" is a great fitting full RB with a semi-open toe that is easy to release from and doesn't interfere with the release bar.

@Golfguy –with #10 shells running a 12” spread (Reflex R-style), can easily go 11.5” if needed (can feel rear great toe touching release bar hinge through the liner). To have less spread an RTP would be needed. Had to trim the R-style shell to permit the Silvretta release mechanism enough play to get the Edge FB in place; the FB shell is clipped in place before the feet are placed. There is no interference with the release mechanism when testing its function.

The shell’s eyelets (from skate application) come in handy for zip-tying pieces of rubber overlay in place. Hardshells tend to have too much space around the toes so a piece of rubber wrap can be cut to fit inside the shell to fill the void. Also buckles on hardshells can cut through the foam on the liner’s tongue so a 2nd piece of rubber can easily be placed to shield the liner tongue from the center buckle.

The selection of the shell and material used is a good one; it’s nicely compliant along the sides, top of the foot, and ankle. Unlike other hardshell systems in which the forefoot raises up off the plate to the end of the toes, because of the formed plastic cup underneath the sole, pressure on the forefoot is directly transferred to the ski beneath (no more heat gun to flatten the shell's sole!). The plastic cup is 2 pieces, each screwed to the plate (not riveted), so any easy job to replace should they crack (not saying they will).

The combination of the firmly affixed sole to the plate/ski and the relatively compliant shell is really good. Noticeably better is the predictability of tip engagement in the turn (especially onside for me) and a smoother, yet powerful “edge” during acceleration. Obviously I’m kinda excited about this set-up; too bad it’s so freakin cold out!

q092zjfco9ec.jpg

64fpglin83z2.jpg

3x45bjxyazmb.jpg

• Baller

@Deanoski - just some funky photo shadow effect off of the mid-line molding seam. It's pretty compliant material and seems like it will hold up well; time/use will tell.

It's actually just a little residual ridge from the mold that could be filed down, but no need.

Made me look though, twice.

• Baller
Thank you. Good point SM. As a snow skier that began with leather boots and earliy adapter to hard shell, I always wondered when the solid connectivity of foot to ski would become important in water skiing. Just makes sense.

Yesterday this liner skied at Okeeheelee Park, today it's in the tundra. What's interesting about the liner is that the toe cap has neoprene (or something like it) sewn in at the toes replacing the shiny material. Very comfortable. 89mqyf1d6mif.jpg

• Administrators
@Roger it's worth a try but I think the Vapor liner might be too thick. If for some reason you want to use a liner besides the Edge liner I would try the new thin Reflex liner first.

Edge Binding have the full Edge One for sale now on their website.

You can also buy the Edge Liner by itself.

Edgewaterski.com

The full Edge One is composed of the boot + Plate + Liner

We actually have 4 sizes available (same with the liners)

Size 6, 8, 10, 12

The size 4 and 14 are in working process. Those will be available soon! Check out our website and social media networks for more updates

Info about the liner:

The liner is designed for the Edge One hard shell waterski boot.

It's a tongue style liner, built for the water, around 5mm thickness.

This is not a heat moldable liner and right foot and left foot are available.

Also we had a lot of questions about shipping. WE DO SHIP INTERNATIONAL

Thanks everyone for your interest in the Edge Orlando products and stay tuned more products are coming soon!!!

• Baller

I've taken photos of the HO Liner here for everyone as its very unique and designed specifically to work with this boot. Heat moldable with built in J-Bars for real heel lock down and a personalized fit for every foot. A neoprene toe box has been added for additional comfort and improved fit also. The other key things you'll see are nylon reinforcements in key areas of wear that they found in other liners. Also new is the velcro power strap in the cuff that allows the liner to track with the cuff and stays closed...which is really nice! I've asked about them selling the liner separately...but doubt they will do this for the first year till they catch up on production. Our response in the store so far has been REALLY great and its so nice to have a boot that truly is being used by alot of the top skiers! Try the new liner on / out...its pretty special! Theres a great video Dave did on the boot on our website page for the boot: HO-2017-Syndicate-hardshell-video

2z32cvbtrlqe.jpeg

32omnrrv7ocd.jpeg

4t4db4epeavq.jpeg

t72yr9qfmovw.jpeg